PDA

View Full Version : A scrap box, I mean a box made from scrap.

Bill Huber
01-25-2009, 10:26 AM
When I made all my cutting boards last Christmas I saved all the scrap, just small strips because some day I knew I would want them for something.

I was given some curly maple, not much of it, just some scraps left over from a project a friend had done.

I didn't have enough for make all the sides and the top so I made the top and then cut what was left into veneer and put it on some plain maple I had for the sides.

When I plained the top a big hunk of wood came out right at the joint so I inlaid the purple heart. At this point it was just a curly maple box with no character at all.

Went to the scrap bin and get the some purple heart and added to the lid and the bottom, then I use the Corner inlaying jig that came with my Kehoe jig and added the corner strips, but I just left them sticking out, something a little different.

This is the first box I have built without a plan of some type as to what it would look like when I was done. It was kind of neat just letting things go were they wanted to and doing something different.

I used the Flip Stick to install the 95 degree hinges, love that idea.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102639

Brian Effinger
01-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Bill - I am amazed at what you can do with some lowly scrap. Beautiful. :)

Dennis Hook
01-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow Bill......That is stunning. I love the protruding, keyed coners. That is a great detail. Nice use of contrast and shapes. The v groove detail between the top and sides really brings out the diamond on the front. Just a nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

John Thompson
01-25-2009, 1:32 PM
Nice job Bill. I just finished a set of maple and purple-heart boxes that I will post tomorrow probably. My first small boxes for that matter and not as nice as yours. You have some outstanding maple on that carcass but I wouldn't classify it scrap. It may be scrap which is left over.. but it ain't scrap by any means IMO.

Nice build.. I'm almost ashamed to post mine a this point.. :o

Sarge..

John Keeton
01-25-2009, 1:57 PM
You "box builders" keep taking them to higher levels. The maple really sets off well against the purple heart. Good job!

gary Zimmel
01-25-2009, 3:48 PM
Bill

The scraps sure turned out to be one fine box...

The maple and purple heart sure work well with each other.

Jason Tuinstra
01-25-2009, 3:55 PM
Great story about how this box developed. That's what I enjoy about woodworking. So many opportunities to make lemonade. And the box? Turned out great. Very nice use of contrasting woods. You did a real nice job.

Mark Valsi
01-25-2009, 5:28 PM
Nice looking, but i would prefer a "thinner" top. To me your thick top overwhelms the rest of the box.

Ed Sallee
01-25-2009, 5:34 PM
Very nice!!! Very striking piece of Bird's eye..... wow. I have yet to find a piece with that many "eyes"....

Jim Becker
01-25-2009, 7:11 PM
You're an excellent scrapper! LOL VERY nice piece!

Jon Grider
01-25-2009, 7:13 PM
Very handsome box. The Purpleheart adds a nice contrast to that beautiful Maple. Well done.

Bill Huber
01-25-2009, 9:18 PM
Bill - I am amazed at what you can do with some lowly scrap. Beautiful. :)

I guess its like junk one mans junk is another's treasure.

Nice looking, but i would prefer a "thinner" top. To me your thick top overwhelms the rest of the box.

I think you are right, it does look a little thicker then it should be, I my just have to thin it down some.

You're an excellent scrapper! LOL VERY nice piece!

I just can't throw out good hard wood scraps, maybe some day when I get half way good at woodworking I may but for now I keep it all.

And to all Thank you for your comments.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2009, 9:56 PM
Bill...I like it!

Kevin Jaynes
01-28-2009, 3:18 PM
Bill,

What a gorgeous piece of work. Outstanding!

Jim Eller
01-28-2009, 6:18 PM
Bill,

Before I read the script, I enlarged the pic and said to myself. " I wonder if he used a Kehoe cornering jig for those corners?". After reading it I see that is what you indeed did.

I just purchased the Kehoe set and have not used it as of yet.

Can you describe how the corner jig worked for you? Exactly as it is was advertised? Any shortcomings or cautions when using it? Did you do a trial and error cut or two first? ????

Do you have any pics of work from the regular Kehoe jig and what are your comments about it and it's ease of use?

BTW - Nice looking piece of art.

Thanks,
Jim

Don Eddard
01-28-2009, 6:34 PM
Great piece of work. Looks very nicely done.

Bill Huber
01-28-2009, 9:09 PM
Bill,

Before I read the script, I enlarged the pic and said to myself. " I wonder if he used a Kehoe cornering jig for those corners?". After reading it I see that is what you indeed did.

I just purchased the Kehoe set and have not used it as of yet.

Can you describe how the corner jig worked for you? Exactly as it is was advertised? Any shortcomings or cautions when using it? Did you do a trial and error cut or two first? ????

Do you have any pics of work from the regular Kehoe jig and what are your comments about it and it's ease of use?

BTW - Nice looking piece of art.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim it is really hard to use, I mean you have to turn the router on and put a bit in it and all that stuff..... :D

It could not be easier to use.

I clamped the box in my woodworkers vise with a corner up. I put a 1/4 inch bit in the Colt router with bushing. Then you just use spring clamps to clamp the jig to the base of the router. Set the jig on the corner and check the depth of the bit and that is about it.

Run it up the corner, turn the box to the next corner and do it again, it is just that easy.

Kevin Jaynes
01-29-2009, 9:53 AM
Mr. Huber,

Thank you for your honest assessment and description of the jigs.

I must state the official position of the Kehoe Jig Co. Ltd. however, regarding the Corner Inlayer jig.

We do not advise clamping the jig to a router. We advise drilling pilot holes into the jig and securing it to the jig base using screws and nuts.

Experienced woodworkers like Mr. Huber are very capable, and they know the limits of spring clamps. They are able to use the proper touch and pressure to ensure that the jig does not move slightly in relation to the router during the routing operation, causing possible damage to the work piece or operator.

Many of our customers prefer to dedicate an old router to the Corner Inlayer and not remove it once securely fastened with screws and nuts. This is a good excuse to go router shopping too, should your Financial Advisor question your need for another router. "It's a matter of safety, dear." :rolleyes: :)

Again, thank you Mr. Huber for sharing your experience with others. We appreciate you and look forward to seeing more of your wonderful projects.

Jim Eller
01-29-2009, 4:29 PM
Thanks Bill and Kevin.

I was wondering about using the Colt.

Jim

Bill Huber
01-29-2009, 5:59 PM
Mr. Huber,

Thank you for your honest assessment and description of the jigs.

I must state the official position of the Kehoe Jig Co. Ltd. however, regarding the Corner Inlayer jig.

We do not advise clamping the jig to a router. We advise drilling pilot holes into the jig and securing it to the jig base using screws and nuts.

Experienced woodworkers like Mr. Huber are very capable, and they know the limits of spring clamps. They are able to use the proper touch and pressure to ensure that the jig does not move slightly in relation to the router during the routing operation, causing possible damage to the work piece or operator.

Many of our customers prefer to dedicate an old router to the Corner Inlayer and not remove it once securely fastened with screws and nuts. This is a good excuse to go router shopping too, should your Financial Advisor question your need for another router. "It's a matter of safety, dear." :rolleyes: :)

Again, thank you Mr. Huber for sharing your experience with others. We appreciate you and look forward to seeing more of your wonderful projects.

Kevin, what I should have added is I took a pocket knife and cleaned out the hole in the jig so a 3/4 busing could be pressed in. I made it a tight fit and it holds very well, I just use the spring clamps as a backup of sorts.

Stephen Edwards
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Personally, I think that the thick top sets it off. I LIKE it a lot!