PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Sherwin Williams Wiping Stain?

Russell Tribby
01-25-2009, 9:51 AM
In the past I've used Target Coatings Ultima stain with good results. I've got a little job that I need to finish in the next couple of days and don't have the time to wait for Target's stuff to get here. Has anyone used Sherwin Williams wiping stain? I'm not far from one of their stores and I need to get some paint there anyhow.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Whenever I need to stain oak I have a custom mix made at the local Sherwin Williams. I don't know if all their stains have the same base or if it's still the same base as it's been some time since I've gotten it, but mine is a thin gel that works pretty well. It applies more evenly than liquid stains. The devil to get out of corners and other tight spots, but then what wiping stain isn't?

Russell Tribby
01-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Can they custom match a stain? I have a door sample from the customer that I can take in.
How do you find the workability of the stain? Is it easy to get uniform color and blending?

Ed Hazel
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I had SW custom match a wiping stain for me few weeks ago I was very happy with the color match and the product.
Next day service I will be using them in the future.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-25-2009, 3:11 PM
Sure, they can match colors and make a custom mix. And I've had no problems blending edges. It's a little surprising as their stain dries really fast and I thought blending would be an issue, but it wasn't. I always try to let stain "cure" overnight but with the SW stuff I think anything I've done could be coated with a brush in a couple hours without smearing or picking up stain.

Jim Becker
01-25-2009, 7:08 PM
Can they custom match a stain?

Yes, they can and some stores have folks who are really good at it. The local SW store did a spectacular job creating a combination dye/pigment stain for the pine floors in our addition. It took the guy nearly three hours, but the end result was exactly what we wanted.

Joe Chritz
01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I use the fast drying oil base woodclassic line as a standard pigment stain now.

I like it overall. Sealcoat before the USL and you are good to go.

Joe