PDA

View Full Version : Bessey vs. Jorgies

Dan Mages
06-29-2004, 2:21 PM
I apologize ahead of time for bringing up such a "lively" discussion, but.... I don't have very many clamps and I will probably be spending some good cash on them. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Bessey K bodies and Jorgie Cabinetmasters?

Dan

Joe Scarfo
06-29-2004, 2:24 PM
I have both types and the nod goes to Cabinet master... bigger handles making it easier to tighten the clamps and .... the cabinet masters can be configured to morph into splitter mode as well...

On teh down side, if you get the older cabinet masters, they're subj to having an alum piece in the head break. Just call our friends at cabinet master and they'll send a new one....

Good Luck
Joe in Tampa...

Michael Ballent
06-29-2004, 2:29 PM
I have seen the Jorgies at the stores and it seems that the plastic cover on them are prone to cracking.... I have not seen this on the Bessys (which I own and purchased before the Jorgies were available.) I have also heard that the Jorgies have a tendency to get stuck, not sure if this has been corrected in the newer clamps...

Jim Becker
06-29-2004, 2:29 PM
Both are great. I have all Bessey's and will likely stay that way "just because".

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-29-2004, 3:19 PM
I have the cabinet masters and they work grate for me. I did get one to stick but the customer service was quick and on the money. You run the handle clockwise till it tightens then tap the handle away from the bar with a small soft mallet. it came right loose.

Good Luck
Roger

Tyler Howell
06-29-2004, 3:26 PM
I have both. I think the Bessy has a smoother operation and engages the work piece quicker. $10-15 smoother, I'm not sure????;)

Dan McLaughlin
06-29-2004, 3:40 PM
I have both. I think the Bessy has a smoother operation and engages the work piece quicker. $10-15 smoother, I'm not sure????;)

I also have both and probably would agree with Tyler whether the Bessy is worth the couple of bucks more. That said, I usually grab the Bessies before the Jorgies - like Jim " just because" :)

Kent Cori
06-29-2004, 3:59 PM
I've also used both and prefer the Besseys by a little. I did notice some difference in operational smoothness but certainly not a lot. Either one will meet your needs. If I were starting from scratch, I'd buy the brand that was the least expensive.

Byron Trantham
06-29-2004, 5:28 PM
Buy a Bessey and forget it! You could probably drive a truck over one and it will still work. :D

Terry Quiram
06-29-2004, 6:25 PM
I have Bessy, some early mfg Jorgies and later mfg Jorgies. Up until I bought the later Jorgies I would have said that Jorgies were better, now I am not so sure. The later Jorgies are of a lesser quality and don't work as smoothly. If I buy again it will be Bessy.

Terry

Chris Padilla
06-29-2004, 6:38 PM
90% of my clamps are Bessey...they are pricey but they are good. I have zero experience with Jorgie but I would just stick with the Bessey brand-name. I don't even think twice to purchase this brand of anything. In fact, I see Amazon/Tool-Crib will give you a killer deal if you buy 10 Bessey's (same size) at a shot...not sure I could swallow $290 for 10 40" Besseys but I was sure thinking about it! :) Good price...maybe we should set up some group buys...local group buys to keep shipping costs down?? :)

Waymon Campbell
06-29-2004, 7:56 PM
I don't even think twice to purchase this brand of anything.

Ditto... The only way I'm giv'in up my Bessey's for Jorgies is when you pry my cold, dead fingers from around them. :D :D

Seriously though, I never think about another brand. In my view they are worth the cost.

Chris - Nice idea about the group buy on Besseys. Wonder if anyone else would be interested?

Tony Falotico
06-29-2004, 8:07 PM
I have the Bessey's, I've looked at the Jorgie's but always bought the Bessey's. When you find a good thing, stick with it!

...maybe we should set up some group buys...local group buys to keep shipping costs down?? :)

Sounds Good to me Chris, set it up, move closer to Florida and I'm in !

Frank Pellow
06-29-2004, 8:50 PM
Like Chris, I love my Bessey clamps and am unlikely to switch to Jorgies. I am sorry to say that, unlike Chris, 90% of my clamps are not Besseys. In fact, only 12.5% of them are Besseys, but I plan to increase that percentage to about 50 over time.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2004, 8:56 PM
haha...we might be able to do some kind of delivery at Terry's picnic, Waymon. :)

Waymon Campbell
06-29-2004, 9:16 PM
haha...we might be able to do some kind of delivery at Terry's picnic, Waymon. :)

Excellent idea!

Okay, so how many woodworkers going to Terry's picnic would be interested?

Greg Heppeard
06-29-2004, 9:16 PM
OK. Now from someone who sells them. Buy the Bessey. The Jorgie was first prone to jamming in the closed possition. They "kinda" fixed that problem, then I started getting returns with the locking mechanism broken. The Jorgie's do a good job at the clamping function, but getting them there seems to be a problem at times. I've used both and like the Bessey better. I've probably had 2 Besseys returned to every 50 Jorgies. Granted, you can get more torque on the Jorgie, due to the larger grip, and they can be converted to spreader mode. IMHO, if you need more clamping pressure, use a pipe clamp. If you need a spreader, there are new model pipe clamps that convert also (can't remember the vendor tho). Just remember, you get what you pay for...this works 99% of the time.

John Miliunas
06-29-2004, 11:04 PM
I have both and prefer the Bessey units. BUT, allow me to bring another excellent clamp to the table for your consideration: Gross Stabil. A while back, an online vendor had them on sale for a real good price, so I tried them out. I only have 4 right now, but if they fit the range I need, that's what I grab first. :cool:

Jack Diemer
06-29-2004, 11:32 PM
I too have both, but my opinion is formed for different reasons. I have 18 besseys and 4 Jorgys.

I like the Besseys the best because they are lighter and little smaller. The Jorgy is nice because it is reversable. I used one as a jack to hold up a load bearing column while I redid the base of it. You could also use it to spread something apart.

With that said, If could buy Jorgys for $20, and Besseys for $24, I would pay the extra $4 because I feel the Besseys are lighter,smaller, and easier to work with.

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:08 AM
The Jorgy is nice because it is reversable. I believe that the currently selling version of the Bessey may be reversable now. At the last show, a factory rep showed me K-Bodies with a removable plastic clip at the end of the bar that replaced the metal dimple on those that I own.

Terre Hooks
06-30-2004, 9:20 AM
I have both, and have used both brands a good bit. I have had the K-Bodys longer, and prefer them.

A few reasons why:

The Besseys are lighter (I think), and easier to handle for me. I am never one to care or mention weight (or lack of) of a tool, but it seems that when I am gluing up something, I handle anywhere from 6-20 clamps during that time.

Easier to handle.....The Besseys have smooth heads, the Jorgensens have ridges of plastic molded along the heads. These ridges are tough on the hands. Call me a wimp. ;)

I will give one advantage to the Jorgensens, but it isn't a needed one at all times. Their large Maple handles allow much more squeeze with a little less effort than the Reds.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having both. I'm very forunate to have as many clamps as I do. The only reason I do have as many as I do is because I was lucky enough to get in on many of the sales of both.

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Excellent idea!

Okay, so how many woodworkers going to Terry's picnic would be interested?
I brought the Amazon Tool Crib mag with me (Catalog #405/ July 2004) but I'm sure plenty of folks out there have it.

They list the following deals for buying a 10-Pak of Bessey clamps:

12" $ 269.90
24" $ 289.90
31" $ 329.90
40" $ 359.90
50" $ 369.90
60" $ 399.90
82" $ 569.90
98" $ 649.90

Of course, this doesn't include any shipping costs and most likely there is no sales tax as well. I guess the prices still aren't spectacular for Bessey K-body clamps but they aren't bad. :) Any takers?

Waymon Campbell
06-30-2004, 5:58 PM
I brought the Amazon Tool Crib mag with me (Catalog #405/ July 2004) but I'm sure plenty of folks out there have it.

They list the following deals for buying a 10-Pak of Bessey clamps:

12" $ 269.90
24" $ 289.90
31" $ 329.90
40" $ 359.90
50" $ 369.90
60" $ 399.90
82" $ 569.90
98" $ 649.90

Of course, this doesn't include any shipping costs and most likely there is no sales tax as well. I guess the prices still aren't spectacular for Bessey K-body clamps but they aren't bad. :) Any takers?

Chris - I could take:

31" - 2
40" - 2
50" - 4
60" - 3

Perhaps you could start a separate thread...

Frank Pellow
06-30-2004, 6:54 PM
I believe that the currently selling version of the Bessey may be reversable now. At the last show, a factory rep showed me K-Bodies with a removable plastic clip at the end of the bar that replaced the metal dimple on those that I own.

Jim, I doubt that Bessey have made their K body clamps reversable. My guess is that what you saw was the Bessey UniKlamp which looks not unlike a K body clamp and is reversable. They too are great clamps but the maximum opening is 18 inches and they exert only about half the pressure of the K body clamps.

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 7:01 PM
Jim, I doubt that Bessey have made their K body clamps reversable. My guess is that what you saw was the Bessey UniKlamp which looks not unlike a K body clamp and is reversable. They too are great clamps but the maximum opening is 18 inches and they exert only about half the pressure of the K body clamps.
Frank, I own both K-Bodies and UniClamps. The fellow was showing me re-designed K-Bodies...that said, there is nothing on the James Morton site that shows this at present. Perhaps it was just a halucination or they were pre-production or something!

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 7:13 PM
Chris - I could take:

31" - 2
40" - 2
50" - 4
60" - 3

Perhaps you could start a separate thread...
Waymon,

I reviewed the TOS and determined that posting for Group Buys should be fine.

My rough plan would be to post a message of such title: Group Buy: Bessey K-Body Clamps

I would post the list above of the costs.

We would also need Mr. Terry Hatfield to agree to receive a potential sizabile shipment of clamps to his house in Springdale, Arkansas as the main goal would be save money on shipping. A fair amount of people who regularly read this site would be attending the BBQ in September and as such, this would make an EXCELLENT meeting point to distribute ordered clamps. In fact, we should make this mandatory...you must come to or send someone to Terry's house to pick up your share of clamps. They will not be shipped.

I guess, then, we would need to take "orders" or posts to the new thread as to who wants what. We would need to sitpulate that only orders of 10 can be made to get the savings.

I wouldn't mind fronting the cash to place any sizeable order but I think I would need a deposit of some kind from folks posting orders of what they want.

I probably won't know the shipping costs until after the fact, of course.

Anyone else have any thoughts pertaining to a potential Group Buy of Bessey clamps?

I think I'm the only one flying to the BBQ so I'll need to be careful how many I get and the size and to be sure they are packaged well for United Airlines to, uhm, "handle" for me! :D

Finally, WHICH forum should I put the GB thread in? This one gets the most visits by folks.

Perhaps, too, we should just try and contact all the folks attending the BBQ and not bother with a post here as most folks probably can't get in on the deal.

Thoughts?

Frank Pellow
06-30-2004, 7:18 PM
Frank, I own both K-Bodies and UniClamps. The fellow was showing me re-designed K-Bodies...that said, there is nothing on the James Morton site that shows this at present. Perhaps it was just a halucination or they were pre-production or something!

OK Jim, sorry for doubting you. It sure would be great if they did make the K body clamps reversable.

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 7:35 PM
A reversible K-body might force Bessey to lower their prices on the (old, worn out, nobody wants it now, there is a new one out) original K-body! I could live without my K-body being reversible...if it means a price cut! :D :D

Jim, perhaps there was something in that pony tail of yours? They've been known to harbor stuff at times.... :D

Waymon Campbell
06-30-2004, 7:39 PM
Waymon,

I reviewed the TOS and determined that posting for Group Buys should be fine.

My rough plan would be to post a message of such title: Group Buy: Bessey K-Body Clamps

I would post the list above of the costs.

We would also need Mr. Terry Hatfield to agree to receive a potential sizabile shipment of clamps to his house in Springdale, Arkansas as the main goal would be save money on shipping. A fair amount of people who regularly read this site would be attending the BBQ in September and as such, this would make an EXCELLENT meeting point to distribute ordered clamps. In fact, we should make this mandatory...you must come to or send someone to Terry's house to pick up your share of clamps. They will not be shipped.

I guess, then, we would need to take "orders" or posts to the new thread as to who wants what. We would need to sitpulate that only orders of 10 can be made to get the savings.

I wouldn't mind fronting the cash to place any sizeable order but I think I would need a deposit of some kind from folks posting orders of what they want.

I probably won't know the shipping costs until after the fact, of course.

Anyone else have any thoughts pertaining to a potential Group Buy of Bessey clamps?

I think I'm the only one flying to the BBQ so I'll need to be careful how many I get and the size and to be sure they are packaged well for United Airlines to, uhm, "handle" for me! :D

Finally, WHICH forum should I put the GB thread in? This one gets the most visits by folks.

Perhaps, too, we should just try and contact all the folks attending the BBQ and not bother with a post here as most folks probably can't get in on the deal.

Thoughts?

Chris - I would be more than willing to halve the total purchase with you. Correct me if I am wrong, but if we buy from Amazon Toolcrib there would be neither tax nor shipping charges to Terry's house. With Terry's permission we could ship them and he could store them in his climate controlled, hermetically sealed and dustfree storage facility (ie. his shop)!

As far as which forum, my vote is for the GW&PT Forum. Maybe we could get a ruling from the moderator. Finally, we should probably post a deadline for orders so we make sure the clamps arrive well ahead of the picnic.

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 7:49 PM
Waymon,

Excellent...thanks for the feedback and you may well be correct about shipping as one orders a lot of stuff, shipping tend to go to zero with Amazon! Even better! :D

I'll work on an initial post.

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 8:54 PM
AJim, perhaps there was something in that pony tail of yours? They've been known to harbor stuff at times....
Ya, mon...

Brad Schmid
06-30-2004, 8:55 PM
No Halucination... Jim's dead on the money. The new models are reversable. The plastic clip pivots/removes and serves as a clamp stand and a stop. Also, there's a big hole through the bar for hanging. :cool:

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 8:58 PM
Thanks, Brad...shows can be overwhelming, especially when you are bringing home large chunks of Mini Max iron, but I was sure I was fondling those clamps with the clip!

Dan Mages
06-30-2004, 9:00 PM
Waymon,

Excellent...thanks for the feedback and you may well be correct about shipping as one orders a lot of stuff, shipping tend to go to zero with Amazon! Even better! :D

I'll work on an initial post.

Chris. That is really cool of you! I dont know if I have the money right now for a larger order of clamps. I will probably by when I need them. Best of luck!

Dan

Byron Trantham
06-30-2004, 9:06 PM
For what it is worth, unless I did my math incorrectly, the only way to save any appreciable money on these clamps is buy bulk and have them shipped directly to you through Amazon. Let's look at the 24" units. Sold for $29.95 ea or $26.99 ea in packs of ten saving about $3 ea or $30 for the pack of ten. Any idea what one 24" clamp weighs? I'm guessing about 4-6 pounds. I did not go out the UPS Web Site, but I'll bet it costs more than $3 to ship it most anywhere. :eek:

If you buy the quantities you want at the per/clamp price, I bet you still save money relative to say, ANYWHERE else because they [for now] don't charge tax or shipping. Those two savings makes it seem like you are buying bulk, one at a time. By-the-way, I ordered 12 clamps at once from Amazon about three years ago. They came in brown wrapping paper [Hum... ;) ]! They were not damaged but if you guys pursue this, who ever is the receiving point will have a lot of fun re-mailing them back out. :mad:

Frank Pellow
06-30-2004, 9:19 PM
No Halucination... Jim's dead on the money. The new models are reversable. The plastic clip pivots/removes and serves as a clamp stand and a stop. Also, there's a big hole through the bar for hanging. :cool:

Great! Where did you purchases the reversable model Brad?

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 10:23 PM
For what it is worth, unless I did my math incorrectly, the only way to save any appreciable money on these clamps is buy bulk and have them shipped directly to you through Amazon. Let's look at the 24" units. Sold for $29.95 ea or $26.99 ea in packs of ten saving about $3 ea or $30 for the pack of ten. Any idea what one 24" clamp weighs? I'm guessing about 4-6 pounds. I did not go out the UPS Web Site, but I'll bet it costs more than $3 to ship it most anywhere. :eek:

If you buy the quantities you want at the per/clamp price, I bet you still save money relative to say, ANYWHERE else because they [for now] don't charge tax or shipping. Those two savings makes it seem like you are buying bulk, one at a time. By-the-way, I ordered 12 clamps at once from Amazon about three years ago. They came in brown wrapping paper [Hum... ;) ]! They were not damaged but if you guys pursue this, who ever is the receiving point will have a lot of fun re-mailing them back out. :mad:
Byron, there will be no remailing of the clamps. You will need to pick them up at Terry's place in Arkansas...no exceptions. I am working on a post that should address all concerns...I hope! I am also seeking Terry's permission and will not post the thread until I receive it. Hang tight! :D

Brad Schmid
06-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Great! Where did you purchases the reversable model Brad?

Frank,

Actually, I picked them up at Home Depot. It was probably back about March timeframe, and they did have the sale price on them along with the older model. I don't think there's any mechanical difference between the older model and these ones except for the plastic piece... I'd bet one could remove/file the dimple off the old model and have an instant spreader clamp.

Cheers,
Brad

Mike Hedges
07-01-2004, 9:04 AM
Go ahead and buy the Bessey , They are great clamps . I havea few old pipe clamps but always go grab for the Bessey

Byron Trantham
07-01-2004, 9:15 AM
You will need to pick them up at Terry's place in Arkansas...no exceptions. :D
Well let's see Chris, I live in Virginia. Oh, I know, I'll get in my Lear Jet be right over. ;)

Scott Coffelt
07-01-2004, 10:13 AM
I have 36 Bessey's and 12 Jorgies, I reach for the Red ones first everytime. I am not sure on the weight thing, they both seem to weigh about the same, but then again there both heavy. If given the chance I would buy the red ones with the removable plastic stop piece. Anyways, nothing new said here, I wouldn't mind some 12" (6-8) ones but I would need to wait to find out if I still have a job or not.

Frank Pellow
07-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Frank,

Actually, I picked them up at Home Depot. It was probably back about March timeframe, and they did have the sale price on them along with the older model. I don't think there's any mechanical difference between the older model and these ones except for the plastic piece... I'd bet one could remove/file the dimple off the old model and have an instant spreader clamp.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad. I will check the next time I am at Home Depot. (Home Depot does not appear to have discontinued Bessey clamps in Canada.)