PDA

View Full Version : Old Plane on CL - Is This a Joke?

Michael Peet
01-25-2009, 8:05 AM
How special does a rusty, dusty old plane need to be to warrant $8000?

rochester.craigslist.org/tls/998399072

Doug Shepard
01-25-2009, 8:08 AM
Well if he really does get somebody to pay $8000 then I guess it really is special.:rolleyes:

Michael Peet
01-25-2009, 8:09 AM
Oops. I just read the sticky about links to ebay. I hope I haven't made a violation :eek:

Tim Sgrazzutti
01-25-2009, 8:25 AM
If it was reeaaaaallllly special, MofA would be selling it for him. Totally ridiculous, but you know how often a sucker is born.

Bill Houghton
01-25-2009, 1:07 PM
have gone for $3-4,000 on deBay. I'm now hoping to find one at a garage sale.

Alan DuBoff
01-25-2009, 4:59 PM
If it was reeaaaaallllly special, MofA would be selling it for him. Totally ridiculous, but you know how often a sucker is born.
Well, how about telling us all about that plane then?

You seem to know about it, could you tell us a little bit about the history of that plane?

If there's one thing that is ridiculous is folks comments out the side of their mouths...without knowing what they are talking about...:o

Michael Peet
01-25-2009, 5:00 PM
Wow. Is it because it's a rare antique, or is it a phenomenal tool if you can get it cleaned up?

Alan DuBoff
01-25-2009, 5:19 PM
Wow. Is it because it's a rare antique, or is it a phenomenal tool if you can get it cleaned up?
It's one of the first and earliest hand planes made, before Bailey sold the rights to Stanley.

Bill Keehn
01-25-2009, 7:14 PM
If he actually manages to sell it for that I think I might be able to pay off my house with what I have out in the garage.

Henry Ott
01-25-2009, 7:29 PM
wow, for that kind of money, we could get Peedy outta jail !:o

Alan DuBoff
01-26-2009, 2:17 AM
If he actually manages to sell it for that I think I might be able to pay off my house with what I have out in the garage.
Don't count on it. It might be a heck of a lot easier to get $8k for that plane that trying to pay your mortgage off with what is in your garage.

OTOH, your in Florida, homes are cheap...:p

The point is that maybe $8k might be a high price today, but if it's on the up and up, that plane will be worth $8k in the not too distant future most likely...and the price is not that far fetched that it couldn't fetch it...there was one that went for more than $4k, not long ago...on ebay.

Do you think you could pay half your mortgage with what is in your garage?

Bill Keehn
01-26-2009, 3:05 PM
No, I can't pay off my mortgage with whats in my garage. Not unless thats were I left that extra 40 pounds of gold bullion. :rolleyes:

I don't know what it's worth. Certainly more than I first thought. If it were in good shape the price might be justified. From the pictures I saw it looks like parts may be missing.

What bothers me and about it and makes me wary is how little he seems to know about it. How can somebody ask so much for a plane they seem to know so little about? Ten minutes on Google tells me its an L. Bailey's 1855 #3 sized split-frame plane with spring washer patent Aug 31,1858 Aug 7, 1855. Notice how the side view picture is extra tiny? Seem's like he's hiding something.