PDA

View Full Version : Nova Precision Midi Chuck

Billy Tallant
01-25-2009, 3:41 AM
I'm still only turning pens at this point in my newfound hobby...Looking down the road when I decide to venture out into turning other items. So
I'm thinking about purchasing the Nova Precision Midi Chuck. Can anyone tell me what they think about this one... Pro's/Con's etc... At this point, money is also a concern & the price is very reasonable on this chuck. Thanks in advance for any info here...

Bill Blasic
01-25-2009, 7:37 AM
Billy,
I have two of them plus one of the original Nova chucks. Some people have problems with them because they use tommy bars instead of being geared chucks like the Titan, the SN2 and the G3. I have all of those also but have no problem using the tommy bars, they are fast acting and easy to tighten. I really like them and use them daily and I believe Woodcraft has them on sale. Also I believe that Tim Geist the tool rep for Nova here in the US has a couple of the original ones left for $50 plus shipping. The original has a greater range of motion than the Precision Midi but I use them equally.
Bill

Gordon Seto
01-25-2009, 9:35 AM
A lot of turners hate the chucks with tommy bars; their opinion discouraged me to get one. I have all the chucks from Nova because their jaws are interchangeable. I don't have to buy different jaws for different size chucks. That is a huge saving for me.
I fell in love with this Precision Midi. The tommy bars are very fast acting. 3/4 of a rotation, the jaws travel the full range of motion. It would take a lot of turns on a geared key. I love the tommy bars over the pivoting geared key of the original SuperNova.
I tighten the chuck on the lathe and use the spindle lock; I can operate the chuck with just one tommy bar. A tailstock can also be used as a third hand to hold the blank in place. Then final tightening with both bars.
This Precision Midi is a direct threaded chuck; it also has the smaller range of movement than other Nova chucks as shown in this chart.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20(inch)Sep06.pdf (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20%28inch%29Sep06.pdf)
If upgrading to a larger spindle lathe is in your near future, then the G3 may be a better choice. You can change out the insert without using the spindle adapter. YMMV

Bill Bolen
01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
That's the chuck I started with. Darn good chuck as I have now problem with tommy bars. Even after I moved up from a mini I have and still use the precision Midi chuck although it is a direct thread rather than an insert style..Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Billy I have that one and two Grizzly with Tommy bars. I find I reach for those before I do the Vicmarc with the Hex key. They are just easier to use.

Jason Clark2
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM
They're a great little chuck for the money, I have a couple of them. My only problem, as several others have pointed out, is that they are direct threaded (1 X 8 in my case) and no longer fit my main lathe after I upgraded to a Powermatic (1 1/4 X 8). I still use them on my Jet Mini quite a bit.

Rich Boehlke
01-25-2009, 9:49 PM
I have that chuck also and really like it. I dont think you can go wrong with its a fine chuck for the money.

Tom Wilson66
01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Billy, I have this chuck and really like it. Did make an accessory for it, shown in the photos attached. The funny looking bent bar fits into one of the holes in the body of the chuck, and keeps it form turning, using the tommy bar in the back plate to do the turning. This lets me use one hand to hold the workpiece while mounting it. Can also do the same to take it off. JThe time or two I left it in when I turned on the lathe, nothing happened. Don't know waht would happen if the motor was more than 1/2 hp. Probably make a heck of a squeal from the belt slipping!

Tom Wilson66
01-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Looks like my photos didn't make it. The file size was too big:o. Had to go reduce them. Now here they are:D.

Roger Wilson
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
So I'm thinking about purchasing the Nova Precision Midi Chuck. Can anyone tell me what they think about this one... Pro's/Con's etc...

I've got the Precision Midi, using it on a Delta Midi. So far it is fine. It is a solid well made chuck. Yes the tommy bars on occaision are awkward to use. If that's going to be what you focus on then the G3 would be better. I only used it in tennon mode. I've used the woodworm screw and it too worked well for me.

The neat locking jig (the pretzel bar) on this thread would solve all the tommy bar problems I'd think.

Jeff Nicol
01-26-2009, 7:07 PM
Get and adapter and use the 1x8tpi on your bigger lathe. I got one from PSI $20 and it works wonderfully! No reason not to use the smaller chucks on the bigger lathe, just don't over load the chuck just because it is on the bigger lathe though! Here is a link http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA11418.html

Jeff

Frank Townend
01-26-2009, 7:15 PM
I have the "plain Jane' Woodcraft chuck with Tommy Bars and I am fully satisfied with it. The thing I like about the Tommy Bars is I can snug up my work piece spinning the outer section with my hand (thumb) and then doing the final tightening with the bars. You can't do that with the chuck key model.

Billy Tallant
01-27-2009, 2:12 AM
Thanks for all of the info. Sure makes it easier when you have such good folks on here willing to help steer you in the right direction. :)