PDA

View Full Version : Router bit help needed

Rick Potter
01-25-2009, 1:52 AM
I am making a lot of door trim with flutes. I have done about 40 so far, and wanted to make a better jig than I am currently using, so when Wood mag ran a feature on a simple one, I made it. Since the largest round nose bit I need to use is 3/8", and only 3/16" deep, I built it to fit my little Trend plunge router. It is small, with a quarter inch collet, but plenty of power to do these flutes.

My problem is that once I got it together, the 1/2" thickness of the jig means my 1/4" shank fluting (round nose, core box) bits are too short and will not cut deep enough now. Actually, they don't even touch the wood, unless I pull them way too far out of the collet.

I have looked in the four catalogs I have, and none lists a longer shank bit. I remember seeing them somewhere, but can't find them. I also considered a collet extender, but they seem to be only available in 1/2".

Can someone tell me where to find some longer shank bits?

Rick Potter

Jamie Buxton
01-25-2009, 3:09 AM
Give us a hint. How long do you need?

Tom Esh
01-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't have that router, but from the pics I've seen it looks like the springs limit the plunge depth by an inch or more. Might be possible to disassemble the base and remove them for this operation.

Rick Potter
01-25-2009, 2:37 PM
Jamie,

The shortest bits are naturally the 1/4", they are 1 5/8 OAL. To put them fully in the collet, I need them to be about 2 1/4" long OAL.

I have bits from Rockler, and Woodline. I have checked those catalogs plus Infinity (which doesn't give OAL), and Sommerville. No luck.

Tom,

Good call, I could remove the springs if I have to, but I am also trying to use the built in DC port, which actually stops the router 1/8" above the point where the springs bind. If I could get some longer bits, I would be able to do the job inside with better dust control. If I have to take the DC off I will do it outside with a box fan to keep the dust out of my nose (MDF).

Rick Potter

Julian Wong
01-25-2009, 3:12 PM
Rick, would you be abe to munt your router ontop a sheet of plywood or something? It'll be much easier to work the flutes on a "router table"

I know MLCS woodworking sells a collet extender for both 1/2" and 1/4" about $30 IIRC, but I wouldn't quite trust a collet extension on a 1/4" shank. Doo much run-out.

Maybe you can try inserting your bit about 3/4" instead of the entire 1" depth? Do what you're comfrotable with.

Dale Lesak
01-25-2009, 3:12 PM
Rick, go to milescraft.com under routers > accesories> long reach bits. this company makes a sign jig for making signs and have the longer bits. they are about 3/4 longer then the standard bits. :)

Steve Clardy
01-25-2009, 3:17 PM
Looking at Freud in here http://www.freudtools.com/p-180-round-nose-bits.aspx

there is a 2-1/4 long # 18-115, but it is 1/2" shank

Charles McCracken is a Freud rep, and a member here.
Maybe he could come up with something.

Heres a whiteside 1406 with a 1/4 shank, 2" long
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1232914505_14870+17

Charles McCracken
01-26-2009, 9:08 AM
Rick,

If you use the minimum insertion point (80% of the shank) of the Freud 18-106 the tip of the bit will be 7/8" past the end of the collet. Will that give you enough length? If not, can you safely make the guide from 1/4" stock instead of 1/2"?

Rick Potter
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks again for the answers guys.

Charles, the jig is built, and I did it for this router because the router is small and easy to handle, with dust collection. I looked on every manufacturers website that I could think of last night, to no avail. The bits were just too short for safety. Because of the 1/2" jig and the dust collection setup on the router, I lose almost an inch before the bit even touches the collet.

If I had known it was this much trouble, I would have made it for a 1/2" router, but, in true creeker fashion someone found an answer that fits my needs.

And the winner is........Dale Lesak. Of all places, Milescraft, who makes various craft products, has a set of 2 1/4" long, quarter inch shaft round point bits, which they sell for use in their sign making kit. Thanks, Dale. You saved my bacon. I am ordering them today, through Amazon, through the Creek.

Rick Potter

PS: Funny thing is....I just bought one of their $39 sign making kits at Lowes. It was on the clearance rack for $10, and I couldn't resist (stealth gloat). It came with one bit and it was 2" long. Maybe the new replacement kits have the longer bits.