PDA

View Full Version : NEW LATHE FINALLY Gloat

alex carey
01-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Ok so about 10 days ago I ordered the Powermatic 3520B. Shout out to Toolnut for the great price. I recommend them to anyone. On Wednesday the lathe arrived, I picked it up with a friends pickup truck, it wasn't a full size bed but it still fit. I didn't have to do a thing, they loaded it and everything.

I set it up that night, didn't take more than an hour or two. Boy was I excited. Sadly the electricity wasn't set up yet. It is even more hefty than I thought. I was busy thursday and couldn't finish everything. Friday I didn't have a lot of time so I didn't get to finish it, I did however make a ballast out of an old solid door I had stored. I had to remove a leg off the lathe to get it in there but now it's perfect.

Today I finished everything up. First I put some casters on my table to make it much easier to move. Something to put my tools and other stuff on. I put a 220V plug in the wall, as well as a 110V. I decided to spring for the 20amp breaker as recommended by many fellow creekers. Peace of mind is nice. I extended the 6 foot wire that comes with the lathe and made it 20 feet, plugged it in and it worked perfectly. It was 7:00 at night when I finished setting everything up so I couldn't finish a piece but I decided to rough something out, I couldn't wait until tomorrow.

My god that machine is a dream. Plenty of power, plenty of stability and I havn't added a lot of weight to the ballast yet.

You'll notice I don't have the tailstock connected. I wasn't actually turning anymore, I had the camera on a timer and had to run back to make it look like I was turning.

You can see my table with some of the tools. You'll notice I made some tool extensnions, some out of plastic and some out of metal. These extensions really make turning a lot smoother. I havn't gotten any chatter with the metal tools yet either. I know for some metal thats a problem.

Alex

Ken Glass
01-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Alex,
Welcome to the Mustard Monster club. You will love this machine. It is smooth as glass. I see you already have a blank chucked up. Gongrats!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Alex - congrats on your new lathe! Glad to hear that everything went together easily for you! Have fun with it and remember - face shield!!!

Looking forward to seeing the first piece to come off the new lathe! Enjoy!

alex carey
01-25-2009, 12:56 AM
don't worry the face shield was behind me, I didn't have it on because the camera was on a 10 second timer and I wasn't actually turning. Wanted the picture to look somewhat real.

Alex

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Alex - just messing with ya!

George Guadiane
01-25-2009, 1:15 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2009, 3:43 AM
Congrats Alex! They are sweet Mustard!

Jeff Nicol
01-25-2009, 7:59 AM
Alex, You are now a Mustard Maniac like me and a bunch of others on SMC!!! You will love your lathe and all that it can do!! If I was rich I think I would fill my shop with powermatic tools, as I love the color!! I think it is more of a deep butterscotch, but mustard is a tougher name!!

Keep safe and show us some big bowls off the Mustard!!!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Congrats on the new yellow condiment!! Now get that blank roughed out and show us what you end up with!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. Looks mighty fine.

Paul Douglass
01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the lathe. I have a Nova 1624, which I thought I would be happy with the rest of my life (which, out of necessity, I will be). But, I received a DVD I ordered from Yoyospin the other day, and he is turning on a PM like yours and, got to admit, it got me dreaming. What a nice lathe.

Alan Trout
01-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Alex, Congratulations, very nice lathe. Keep making more chips.

Alan

Jason Clark2
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the club, now you need to give him/her a name.

Jason

Jim Glock
01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Congrats on the new machine! You are going to LOVE it! Interesting that yours came in different pieces. When they shipped mine (2 years ago)...it was completely assembled and bolted to a pallet. Have fun! j