PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions on a small jointer

Brian Effinger
01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi - I am thinking of purchasing a small 4" jointer from someone locally for $75 cash. I know a lot (well all) of you will try to talk me into a larger jointer, and I'd agree with you. This is just something to hold me over until I can afford one. I've just simply bought way too much this year - new hybrid table saw, DP, air cleaner, router (with table, lift and Incra wonder fence), as well as other assorted goodies. All of this while I have been transitioning from being unemployed to self-employed.

So anyway, it is posted on that auction site right now (320334702023) as well as C'list. I've posted the pictures below as well as the listing text. I emailed him and offered $60, but he really wants $75. I plan on telling him that I want to plug this in, fire it up, and run a few B.F. over it before any cash changes hands. I figured I could joint the face and edge of small workpieces and then use the table saw to bring the other 2 parallel before returning it to the jointer, since the TS has nearly the same capacity (3-3/8"). Yeah, I don't have a planer either - I'm hoping to go w/ a dewalt 735 at some point.

Do you think that this is a fair deal based on the info here and the fact I'd want to test drive it first? Just remember that this is something to tide me over until I can go for an 8" or 12" jointer.

I trust all of you with my hard earned cash and will do what ever you say http://club.cdfreaks.com/images/smilies/4/bowdown.gif

:p:D

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Used, but in very good condition, Jet Jointer Model JJ - 4. This is a 4" jointer and is approx 30" long. It looks to be a table top unit mounted to a very sturdy base, which stands about 24" tall, with a factory mounted on/off switch. It has a very nice 1/2 HP electric motor which is 1 phase. All distinguishing placks and markings are shown in the photos. The motor plate has a manufacturing date of 1986. My shop aquired this unit from our sister shop which recently closed. We have no need for it so we decided to part ways with it. Our die maker tested the machine out and he said the blades are practically brand new. He also said it might need a new drive belt, but other than that its ready for use. He oiled up the shafts and wiped it down and told us it was ready to go. Thats about all we know about this jointer, but it is in great shape. Happy bidding and please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sonny Edmonds
01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Do you really... really.... need this? :confused:
I mean, hey it might be real nice for smaller uses. But is it going to be a mill wheel when you get a bigger jointer?

Only you can say for sure. :)

Alan Schwabacher
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I had an old Delta 4" jointer, and it worked fine with sharp blades. You could tell they were getting dull because it behaved underpowered then. The length of the bed was the biggest limitation. If you make mostly small stuff, the 4" jointer is perfect. With a short bed and long stock you need to treat it more like a hand plane, and monitor how straight and flat your stock is, and take off material where it's needed. But $75 is not that great a price for it, unless you need it now.

If money is tight I would be more inclined to find an old Stanley #7, which you can probably find for $30-$50. (Try a reputable dealer like Walt Q. at brass city records and tools -- google it. If he doesn't have what you want, you can call him and ask him to keep his eyes open for it. Or check out an MWTCA meet.)

A hand plane is not that hard to use, and will remain useful after you get a bigger jointer. With practice, it's easier to joint a long board with that than with a small powered jointer.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-25-2009, 12:20 AM
I trust all of you with my hard earned cash and will do what ever you say http://club.cdfreaks.com/images/smilies/4/bowdown.gif

:p:D

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Brian,

Looooooook into my eyes, you are getting verrrrrrrrry sleepy.

Forget the jointer and send your money to me, I will straighten all your boards

Chip Lindley
01-25-2009, 1:03 AM
Really, WHY are you asking Us?

All kidding aside, Hold out for a 6in. jointer. There are many generic versions to be had as *WE* trade up to 8-INCH and BEYOND! You can live with a nice 6" jointer for a LONG time. You will quickly outgrow the 4" !! I made do with an old Delta/Milwaukee 6" for many years. It only had a 32" bed, but the 6" width was plenty in 95% of my work. I traded up for a used Rockwell/Delta 6" with 42in. bed, and used it until a year ago when I FINALLY got a GLOAT on an 8in. Delta DJ20.

But, its YOUR $Bucks$ !

Chris Kennedy
01-25-2009, 7:09 AM
I have been in a similar situation for a while -- no jointer or planer. I use my TS to straighten edges pretty well and then revert to hand planes. I am saving my money, with the idea of buying a combo machine in the future.

For what it is worth, JET is coming out with a 10" J/P combo at the end of this month for $420 or so. I have my eyes and hopes set on that.

Cheers,

Chris

Mike Cutler
01-25-2009, 7:49 AM
Brian

At most you will probably only using that jointer for edge jointing, and unless you do a lot of model work it really won't be much use for face jointing.
If you have a table saw, I would just make a nice edge guide for it to joint the board edges, and as Alan suggested, get ahold of a used #7 or #8 plane to clean up the ripped edge of the board.

I'm sure that's a nice jointer, but one day soon it will just occupy space, and your offer of $60.00 is more than sufficient.

Craig McCormick
01-25-2009, 7:53 AM
I say for $75.00 try it. If it doesn't work out for you then just re sell it. Make sure you test it before the purchase.

AZCRAIG

Craig T. Smith
01-25-2009, 9:40 AM
Brian, If you can test drive it you should be able to tell if it will suit your needs. IMO at $75 if it serves well for 1 or 2 years it's money well spent. then you can pass the bargain to someone else or keep it for portable quick work. Enjoy. Happy Woodworking. Craig

Don Morris
01-25-2009, 9:55 AM
I use my LN #7 Hand Plane occassionally to join boards beautifully if they aren't too thick. If you have a heavy long piece of work it'll tip that 4" jointer. That's one reason why I went to an 8" jointer. At least go for a used 6". I had a short bed 6" Jet for a number of years until it started to tip on a heavy long piece of work.

Paul Ryan
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Brian,

I agree as well for $75 if you get 1-2 years out of it that is money spent wisely. I would still push on him to go down. But make sure you test it out real good. Then you will know if it will work for you. I am sure you are like I was, the only thing I used my 6" jointer for years was edge jointing. If you buy good stock you shouldn't have to face joint. The smaller bed will only cause problems if you try to push really long boards through. If you were talking about spending $200 I would say NO. But for 75 I think that is fair for a machine you can use for a couple of years. And you should be able to resell for the same price or close to. So what would you really be out?

Greg Cuetara
01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I picked up a 4" vintage craftsman jointer about 4-5 years ago. I think I paid about $75. The only thing I use it for is to get a square straight edge on boards. Anything over 3-4 ft and it becomes very difficult. Have you thought about putting your money into a really good glue line rip blade? I picked up the ridge carbide blade right before christmas and it was money well spent.

Like others have said what type of projects do you work on and what do you want out of it. For $50-$60 I might say go for it right now but for $75 I would pass. Put the money into a good saw blade for the TS or into your jointer fund. We have already been seeing lots of tools come up on CL the auction site and other locations due to the economy. If the guy won't take your $60 then maybe he doesn't want to sell it that bad. Is it local to you? I would put $60 in cash in your hand and go check it out. Say that all you have is $60 and be prepared to walk away. In this economy it is hard to not accept cash.

Good Luck,
Greg

Carlos Alden
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Brian:

I picked up the same vintage Jet 6" jointer last summer for $75 after I ran some wood through it and made sure the tables were in line. Got some new knives and had the old ones sharpened, and made a knife-setting jig from plywood and magnets.

I really like buying and using older tools. I don't use mine for face jointing, but only for edge jointing. It's great for gluing up and squaring up. If you are pretty sure that you are only going to do edge jointing and the pieces aren't really long, it'd be a nifty tool.

But if you are really thinking of going for something bigger, this will feel limited in a very short period of time, and I'd wait for a bigger unit.

Hey - I grew up in the Buffalo area. When I get around old friends I slip into Buffalo dialect: Da BILLS! Beef on WECK! Genny and WINGS!

Carlos