PDA

View Full Version : Heartbreak and then a Save

Ken Glass
01-24-2009, 9:25 PM
Hey gang,
I started roughing out this piece of Burled and Spalted Mulberry this morning and all was going well until it broke on a fissure, I thought was not all the way through. I had roughed the outside and was hollowing the inside with the bowl steady in place. I had it about an 1-1/4" thickness when the piece broke. Talk about heartbroken. I left the shop and spent the day out of town with SWMBO and came back to it, to try and save it. Originally, it was about 12" tall and 8" at its widest. Now it is 8-1/2" tall and 7-1/2" wide. I finished roughing it and into the DNA it went about 7 this evening. It was my most challenging piece to date, and I really thought it was going to make it. Oh, well, its shorter now, but at least I saved the best of it. I will post some pictures when I finish it in a few weeks. The 1st two pictures are before ( you can see the break is the first one) and the last two are after the re-design.

Brian Effinger
01-24-2009, 9:34 PM
Good save Ken :)

I can't wait to see it finished - it should be quite stunning.

David Drickhamer
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice save. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Ken - that looks like quite the challenging piece of wood! Should have lots of character when finished!

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Great save Ken. That should be a great piece when finished.

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Glad you were able to save it, looking forward to seeing it when you get it done.

Jeff Nicol
01-25-2009, 8:13 AM
Ken, I think I might have tried to glue it back to gether. But maybe there was more wrong with the break, but it looked pretty clean. I hate loosing things too! I had a spectacular miniature almost done last night and was parting it off and was trying something I should not have and it was a catch of major proportions! It blew up in a ton of little pieces!! No glue repair for me!

Still a great looking piece! I love the mulberry, does the dust and or smell burn your eyes and nose a bit? The stuff I have kind of gets to me.

Jeff

Ken Glass
01-25-2009, 8:44 AM
Jeff,
I thought about gluing the piece, but what you can't see in the picture, is the void in the break. It had started to punk up pretty bad. It was wider than I thought I could gap with glue. At first, I was really disappointed, but I quickly realized I could not have taken it to the finish level without it breaking anyway. It was my first attempt at a live edge vase and I was a little too optimistic going in, I think. The live edge is incredibly hard and is still going to be a challenge to finish.

I didn't seem to get any affects from the dust, however, I keep my overhead air filter on high and do wear a mask most/some of the time. I also haven't sanded on it as of yet, so we'll see.

Steve Mawson
01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Looks like a great save to me.

Toney Robertson
01-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Looks like a piece that deserves to be saved.

I will look forward to the finished product.

Toney

Mike Golka
01-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Nice save, can't wait to see the finished product.