PDA

View Full Version : Laser Equipment Cost

Henry Ott
01-24-2009, 8:48 PM
It seems to me that while checking the websites of several laser manufacturers the pricing on these things are still so obscenely expensive that they aren't willing to post the prices even on their own websites. Looks to me like the adage 'if you have to ask'.

I also see there isn't much information with regards to pricing to be found here either, on the other hand I've seen a few horror stories in regards to support and such.

Can anyone speak about who makes the cheapest entry level machine that can do wood surface etching, etc. Hopefully there will be one or two level headed users out there who can answer my question without dancing around it. If there are, I thank you for your comments.

Henry

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 8:53 PM
Sorry Henry.....I'm not level headed......I bought an obscenely expensive Epilog.

Pete Simmons
01-24-2009, 8:59 PM
You can get some sub $10K Chinese machines that some people here have had very good luck with.

If you want a laser made in USA with someone that speaks english that you can call and answer your questions you better plan on spending $10,000 - $15,000 for an entry level machine.

Henry Ott
01-24-2009, 9:04 PM
Pete - Thanks !! That's were I was looking today, know of any CONUS distributors? Steve - You Kill me man, (don't quit the day job though!) You have any idea what the Zing is running? Thanks

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 9:05 PM
We have a few members who are in the business of selling lasers and some who sell used lasers where you can get a pretty good savings over the new prices.

Check our suppliers list.

Scott Shepherd
01-24-2009, 9:05 PM
They don't post prices because they sell them through distributors. The distributors can sell then for the MSRP or whatever else they want. It's the same way in just about most all other large dollar equipment. Go look for a price online for a new heat pump. What's it cost? No way to tell without calling someone who sells one. Call 5 people, you'll get 5 different prices. That's how the market works and lasers are no different.

Doug Griffith
01-24-2009, 9:06 PM
Dancing? We are all level headed here at SMC!

I'm not a rep and don't know what others paid but I picked up my Epilog Mini 24 45watt for about 15k if I remember right. Then another grand or so for a cheap compressor and vacuum system. You'll also need a computer and software. I'd say once all is said and done, I'm into it about 20k. Then there's all the substrates and ancillary items that add up fast.

Look into the entry level machines from ULS and Epilog. They are pretty small so you'll have to think about your needs.

Cheers,
Doug

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 9:06 PM
Glad you have a sense of humor Henry! I'm pretty sure the Zing is between $9-10,000.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 9:09 PM
I picked up my Epilog Mini 24 45watt for about 15k

Great.....thanks Doug.......now I'm all depressed......

Doug Griffith
01-24-2009, 9:17 PM
Great.....thanks Doug.......now I'm all depressed......

It WAS a few years ago... and I could be wrong - if that helps. Oh yeah, and I'm still mowing the reps lawn weekly and feeding his dogs daily. That, and did I mention the machine came in a lovely shade of pink?

Anthony Scira
01-24-2009, 9:19 PM
And lets note even get into the US vs China discussion.

I thought I heard those Zings were like 7000. But I am prolly wrong.

Epilog is AWESOME and US manufacturers can use your help right about now:):):)

The 20k mark is about right after you get all the stuff you need to get up and running.

Henry Ott
01-24-2009, 9:21 PM
Mike, Scott, Doug, [Steve, Pete] Good level answers!

Thanks for to you straight shooters (appreciate it). I'm not in the sign making or commercial engraving business so I would have limited use for this tool. Hence, my el cheapo stance.

This is what started this topic up today. On the auction site I saw some kind of laser engraver for 1.5 anyone know what this beauty does? Item number: 250306796192

I was hoping this question wouldn't stir up bad feelings. I got pounced ON on another forum today for much LESS effort. I would probably engrave maybe two dozen jewelry boxes a year if that much. Small nit-picky things.

Thanks again for your comments.

Doug Griffith
01-24-2009, 9:28 PM
I would probably engrave maybe two dozen jewelry boxes a year if that much. Small nit-picky things.

I'm not big on chinese made equipment but if you're only making a few things a year, that seems like your only option unless you outsource. A few Creekers have had good success with their Chinese systems and will probably chime in.

That said, once you have a laser system, you'll find yourself doing things you never thought of. It's like a disease.

Frank Corker
01-24-2009, 9:33 PM
Henry, what isn't obvious from the advert is that the bed is at a fixed height, don't expect to be getting any boxes in there because you will be disappointed. I'm probably wrong here, but I think that thing is water cooled and you will have to pay for an aditional chiller, also be prepared to have to understand Englisese. The manuals are pretty much put in the kit for you to practice on because I doubt you'll be able to understand them.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:44 PM
They don't post prices because they sell them through distributors. The distributors can sell then for the MSRP or whatever else they want. It's the same way in just about most all other large dollar equipment. Go look for a price online for a new heat pump. What's it cost? No way to tell without calling someone who sells one. Call 5 people, you'll get 5 different prices. That's how the market works and lasers are no different.

Sheessh.. I just spent 5 large for a heat pump installed (19.5 seer/ 9.5 hspf)

Henry Ott
01-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Your probably right about that Frank never considered that part. I found their website and saw another two video's. One showed a computer dongle for the NewlyDraw software. Two major downer factors going on there with that one. Looked good this morning though.

Quite possibly another 2K boat anchor. I'd then have an unmatched pair!

Who knows I might be able to find a decent used piece if I found someone who recently upgraded to something else.

Thanks Again!

Anthony Scira
01-24-2009, 10:40 PM
"I would probably engrave maybe two dozen jewelry boxes a year if that much. Small nit-picky things."

I think if thats all you want to do I would just outsource the work. It will be far cheaper and you won't have to loose all your hair learning the programs.

But if you want a way cool toy..........

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
The Zing was advertised in this month's Engraving mag. at $7995.

Eric Barker
01-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Another option is to buy a rep's. demo unit. That's what I did several years ago and saved some money. Of course, being a demo it came with a lot of accessories that I might not have purchased, so maybe I didn't really save that much. :confused: :D

James Jaragosky
01-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Henry, what isn't obvious from the advert is that the bed is at a fixed height, don't expect to be getting any boxes in there because you will be disappointed. I'm probably wrong here, but I think that thing is water cooled and you will have to pay for an aditional chiller, also be prepared to have to understand Englisese. The manuals are pretty much put in the kit for you to practice on because I doubt you'll be able to understand them.

My less than 2k 40w rabbit co2 laser has a adjustable bed and I can engrave items up to 4.75 inches tall if I remove the cutting grid.

The tube is water cooled but I use a 5 gallon bucket and a fish pump.:o

Newelydraw and its dongle can tie up your system due to leaky memory.
I solved this problem with a used dell from fleabay for $133.00 delivered with xp pro installed. I do all my layout and creative work on another computer and transfer files using a flash drive.

A lower end Chinese machine is perfect for what you have in mind.
If you were purchasing a laser as a tool for your business there are better options.
Jim J.

Niklas Bjornestal
01-25-2009, 3:59 AM
I have had both cheap chinese laser (from redsail) and now i have a laserpro mercury II.
I was satisfied with the chinese laser, but if you plan to use it for anything more than as a hobby you should probably buy one of the bigger brands. There is a huge difference in quality and functionality. And if you buy a laser from china you might have to wait for weeks to get spareparts if anything happends.

Btw. i bought my laserpro (used as a demo machine) for about $12K complete with an air filtration unit, cutting table etc. and prices here in sweden us usually alot higher than in USA.

Scott Shepherd
01-25-2009, 8:56 AM
I agree with Doug and Anthony, if that's all you'll be doing a year, find someone who has a laser, spend $200 on Corel Draw, and you do all the design and layout work and then pay someone $30 to engrave it. Far cheaper than a new laser from any country, plus you'll not have the headaches.

Learning how to operate a laser is not the quickest thing to do and a lot of the learning comes from using it. At the rate you mention, you won't use it enough to learn it, so my guess is it'll be a constant source of frustration for you.

So much easier to focus on the design aspect of it, getting good at Corel and then subbing it out. If you find you are doing enough work to justify it, then you can take that step later.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim Bateson
01-25-2009, 11:33 AM
There are a lot of used machines available for good prices. Some are VERY used others, like mine was setup and never used again. Saved me a lot.
Get the largest machine possible that you can pay cash for.

Dan Hintz
01-25-2009, 7:36 PM
If you want a machine like James mentions (40W Rabbit). They're perfect for hobby work, but I would tend to stay away from them for any serious business work if you are not mechanically inclined and good with computers.

Roy Brewer
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
It seems to me that while checking the websites of several laser manufacturers the pricing on these things are still so obscenely expensive that they aren't willing to post the prices even on their own websites. Looks to me like the adage 'if you have to ask'.
Henry,

In addition to other explanations, US manufacturers of laser systems have distributors worldwide that want and need to use the manufacturers web site. International distributors often need to charge much more to their clients since they must invest heavily in inventory, set up their own tech support and pay huge shipping expenses they would throw a screaming fit if US prices were published. And, it would be obscenely difficult to post prices that would be relevant to all who desire to take advantage of the web sites.

John Frazee
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I bought a chinese laser from Brightstar Lasers. I bought a 60 watt, 12x20 table, rotary attachment, table will lower @15 inches for large items, has pass thru for engraving long thin items, air and chiller included plus more for about $10,000. The service has been outstanding and plan on buying my next machine from them as well. They have a website with prices listed. Jim Olsen owns it and his numbers are 909-337-7889 and 909-936-5554.

frank fang
05-01-2009, 4:17 PM
Mike,
Could you share a few suppliers who sell used laser?
thanks
Frank F

Tim Bateson
05-01-2009, 5:46 PM
Got mine on eBay for $9,000 cash with free shipping. Actually, I waited until it didn't sell on eBay, then contacted the seller. I verified it was used - setup by the dealer, but never used again. Although it was out of warranty, I have received Grade A++ level support.

John Noell
05-01-2009, 7:29 PM
I got mine used from justlasers.com. Bill there was very helpful and honest. He also can steer you towards others with used lasers if he does not have exactly what you are looking for.

Ross Strickland
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I went thru a company called Engraving system support, inc. in Dade City, Fl
1 800 374 8928 ask for Randy very nice will answer all Q. they sell Universal lasers a small mach runs around $8,000 to $12,000.

Brian Jones FL
05-14-2009, 2:06 PM
Quality counts in a purchase worth thousands... if the primary factor in your purchase is price, then i'd advise you save up a bit longer, study a bit harder and make a better decision based on more factors than just the bottom line price.