PDA

View Full Version : Finally turned a bowl

Dustin Cranford
01-24-2009, 7:54 PM
Well, it was as hard as I thought it would be. I won't post a pic because it is not something I am proud of. Ended up with quite a bit of tear out on the outside of the bowl on opposite sides (end grain). When I turned it around to chuck it up on the tenon it seemed to be out of balance and the tailstock was moving around. Chuck is a Barracuda and first time it's been used. Don't know what the problem is there. When I parted off I had some problems. Can't figure that one out either. One of the things that I kept running into was when hollowing out the bowl. For some reason when I would get to the inside wall it would catch multiple times. Catches would actually stop the motor. I tried going as light of a cut as I could and it would still catch jerking the tool into it and stopping the motor. I don't know, maybe I'll try again tomorrow. I will say turning pens is alot easier.

David Christopher
01-24-2009, 8:05 PM
dont stop now, every one gets a little easier but just remember if you dont post pics it didnt happen

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 8:35 PM
dont stop now, every one gets a little easier but just remember if you dont post pics it didnt happen

David, there was something about a bowl but I didnt see one did you?? What bowl??:confused::confused:
:D:DKeep at it Dustin, I remember when I had the same trouble, I thought I must have been the only guy in the world who couldnt hollow out a bowl.
See this thread I posted just last year having the same trouble. I got plenty of help and it all worked out!!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70341

Dustin Cranford
01-24-2009, 9:18 PM
Okay maybe someone can look at the photos and tell me what I may need to do. I am by no means a photographer and these were just quick shots. As you can see the inside tool marks, poor parting, tear out ect.... ect... the lis can go on.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2009, 9:31 PM
Dustin,

First....nice first bowl! Don't be too hard on yourself. We all started right where you are. A lot of folks will give you some good information on how to improve. If you don't have Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy"...get it or borrow it from someone. Bill demonstrates several different tool techniquies to clean up and prevent or at least diminish tearout.

My suggestion.....after you are almost ready to make the final cut...resharpen your tool and take extremely light and delicate cuts...really light.

Good first bowl! Now on to the next one.

Thomas Canfield
01-24-2009, 9:31 PM
Dustin,

The bowl looks better than my first, and I have now done probably 25 or more and never posted pisture. I had to work hard on keeping a sharp tool, expecially on the end grain tearout. I have done about 5 or so dead pine bowls recently and they have really taught me to go to the grinder often doing the final cuts to avoid tearout with the extreme difference between the growth rings and sap wood. The bowls are not pretty, but have been real good practice material and the tree dropped in my backyard - must have been for a reason. Keep at it.

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Im with Ken Dustin, you're being too hard on yourself for a first bowl. At least yours is in one piece! I still find chunks of my first attempt around the shop. Please dont ask.
At any rate, take a look at the thread I pointed you too and follow Kens advice on Grumbines video, its a wealth of information and kinda funny at times too. You will learn what a turning muscle is!!

Dustin Cranford
01-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys. I do have Bills video ordered. Should be here first of next week. I ordered it 3 days ago so it all depends on the post office.

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. I do have Bills video ordered. Should be here first of next week. I ordered it 3 days ago so it all depends on the post office.
Dont quote me on this but I think if you order by Thursday evening he ships the following Mon or Tues. Cant remember which but something like that.

David Christopher
01-24-2009, 10:21 PM
David, there was something about a bowl but I didnt see one did you?? What bowl??:confused::confused:

Jim there is a bowl... hehehe. Don't through that bowl away it dont look as bad as you described. thats not bad for first,second third attempt... looks like some sandpaper can fix it.. good luck, keep turning and most of all have fun

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Dustin - just my opinion, but part of your problem lies with the design. For most of us, it is very hard to get clean cuts in any bowl with steep walls. Unless you are very aware of the angle of the grind on your gouge, it would be very simple to not rub the bevel and pull out of the cut.

A question I would have for you is about the wood. How dry is it? Is it sound wood or is it close to being punky? If the wood is punky, you will get tear out. If the wood is sound or somewhat green and you still are getting the tear out - then you have to look at how sharp your gouge is and/or the angle the gouge is presented to the wood.

For your chuck issue, when you turn the tenon, always make sure that the tenon is not so long as to bottom out in the chuck. The chuck jaws are supposed to fit tight against the bottom of the bowl when using a tenon - so also make sure that the tenon/bowl junction is properly shaped for your chuck. In most cases that will be either a dovetail or a 90* shoulder. There is a lot of info on chucks and proper seating here on SMC and you should be able to find it with a couple of searches.

Hope that helps! There is nothing wrong with your bowl! Keep turning and ask lots of questions!

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
That is a great first bowl. Make sure you date it, type of wood and sign it. Keep it so as you go down the turning road you can compare. Bill's dvd will show you some cuts that will take care of the tear out. Practice, practice, and more practice. You will get there. As most turners will tell you, been there done that.

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 5:05 AM
Dustin,
You think that one is bad...wait till you see mine!

Jeff Nicol
01-25-2009, 7:23 AM
Dustin, Turning is a constantly progressing hobby. If everyone started out turning perfect bowls and there was no variety in them what a boring hobby it would be! Like has been said we all start out turning things that need some work, but that is how we all learned. You got the bowl turned and it looks fine. By you knowing what you want to work on you will figure out your technique and your own style. Don't give up and remember this is fun and never take things to seriously except SAFTEY!!

Good job on your first bowl and soon we will be looking at some of your masterpieces!!

Jeff

charlie knighton
01-25-2009, 7:43 AM
nice first bowl, eveerything has a learning curve, as you continue to progresss think contionus curve

Mark Hubl
01-25-2009, 1:20 PM
Dustin,

That is a good first bowl, keep it from the fire. It can always sit around the shop and it will later remind you how far down the slope you have come. I am very new to faceplate turning as well. For me faceplate work is offering much more of a challenge then spindle work.

Let's just say I have learned that "design opportunities" take on a whole different meaning when attempting bowls. Just when you think you are getting it...capow...the massive catch. I really think the bowl gouge is underrated and that the nasty skew is much maligned.:)

Here is a pic of my first bowls. I did these a couple of months ago. Just used a 2x6 for practice. Managed to limit the projectiles and only funneled a couple. I try and do something different or a new technique with each practice piece. I thought I was getting it.

So after a couple of projects around the shop, some spindle work and a few pens I figured it was time to turn a few small bowls this weekend. I had a piece of alder sitting around waiting to be sacrificed, and so it began. I did get one done that will be a gift, but as the second pic shows the others will help keep me warm. This is proof I am not yet ready for those expensive waxey store bought exotics, but need to practice, practice, practice and rewatch my video's.

Two things to remember:

Where the faceshield.....(guilty as charged, nose got lucky).
Never, never, never make the last cut.