PDA

View Full Version : The one time you wished you had beachfront property in England

Charles Davis
01-24-2009, 7:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/01/23/black.uk.timber.cnn

Karl Brogger
01-24-2009, 7:09 PM
This actually happens on a fairly regular basis. Last time I remember hearing about almost the exact same scenario was about a year and a half ago. The news called it a "wood slick".

Still not a good enough reason to put up with the UK's weather, but what do I know, its been below zero here more than not the past few weeks:D

Casey Gooding
01-24-2009, 7:12 PM
The one time???????????
I wish I had just about any property in England on a daily basis.
Though, I have a special affinity for Yorkshire.

David DeCristoforo
01-24-2009, 8:06 PM
"The one time???????????"

Yeah. It sounds like they have wood washing up on the beach all the time. They even have rules for it!?!?

Lee Schierer
01-24-2009, 9:36 PM
I'm not sure how salt soaked wood would be to work with or finish.

Sonny Edmonds
01-24-2009, 9:44 PM
"I'm not sure how salt soaked wood would be to work with or finish."

Oh, probably a bit like salt pork.
But you can get use to it. ;)

Wilbur Pan
01-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah. It sounds like they have wood washing up on the beach all the time. They even have rules for it!?!?

Well, maybe not wood, but other things. IIRC, rules for things washing up on shore in England were set way back when in feudal times, when royalty owned the land. They certainly didn't want the serfs walking off with free timber or other valuable items washing up on shore when it really belonged to the local nobleman. My bet is that the current English laws are descended from those times.

Bill Huber
01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
When I was in high school I worked at a marina in Kansas City on the Missouri river. Every spring when the spring rains up north got the river high we would go out and collect the lumber floating down the river.

We built a large boat storage building and all the docks from the lumber we pulled off the river.

When I think back at some of the wood we pulled in and used for docks and building I could just kick my butt. Large walnut and oak planks beautiful beautiful wood.

So I guess its a good thing that wood floats.

Karl Brogger
01-25-2009, 12:37 AM
So I guess its a good thing that wood floats.

There's big money in pulling/salvaging old growth timber off the bottom of Lake Superior.

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 4:13 AM
I'm not sure how salt soaked wood would be to work with or finish.

Most of them were building sheds with it anyway.

Stephen Edwards
01-25-2009, 5:44 AM
"I'm not sure how salt soaked wood would be to work with or finish."

Oh, probably a bit like salt pork.
But you can get use to it. ;)

I wonder what species of salt wood would be the best to cook with a pot of beans? You've come up with a good suggestion. Bound to be healthy for us with all that fiber! I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll prolly have to cook it a little longer than a piece of fat back or ham hocks for it to get tender.

Brian Frances
01-25-2009, 7:19 AM
Sure looks life free clean up services! Nice Bounty! The termites are gonna love that flavored wood!

Jack Briggs
01-25-2009, 8:46 AM
Probably best used for smoking salmon.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
A guy I used to work with spent a lot of time in Africa and said on some beaches there (Indian Ocean side) he would occasionally see huge felled and trimmed tree trunks washed up on beaches. According to him people transporting them would either lose them in rivers and they would wash out to sea or they would be towing them in rafts at sea - I guess to a port where they could be milled and/or loaded - and the rafts would occasionally break up.