PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Speedball Art Linoleum engraving results

Larry Bratton
01-24-2009, 6:23 PM
These are the results achieved on the Speedball print makers linoleum. I called them and they sent a MSDS. Turns out this stuff is made of various stuff, cork etc., looked to be mostly wood based ingredients. I removed a small piece of the lino from the mdf back and burned it. It burned with a white smoke and smelled like a wood composite, so I figured it was safe. This is the small engraving I did as a test. For lack of any other information, I just used the Epilog recommended setting for wood at 600dpi. The one for the customer was 8x8 and was a mirror image per his request. My nephew brought this up from Atlanta and don't think we every got clear on exactly what he was doing with it. The one we did for him was super deep. But, for whoever is interested, here it is. This stuff is used by artists for artistic print making and is ordinarily cut out with a knife.

While we were at it, we also made a sample coaster to send on solid surface. This is 1/4" LG Himacs Desert Sand, engraved and filled with Krylon Fusion. (cleaned up super fast with WD40)

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 8:50 PM
Larry

Nice work.

It looks like it would make a superb coaster material that's maybe not too expensive yet durable.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 8:50 PM
You can still make printing blocks with that stuff, just set up the file as a rubber stamp, and use the rubber stamp setting in your driver. Glue it to a block of wood, and your set to go

Frank Corker
01-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Turned out really nice. Well done.

Larry Bratton
01-25-2009, 9:02 AM
Larry

Nice work.

It looks like it would make a superb coaster material that's maybe not too expensive yet durable.
Mike:
That lineoleum is expensive. I understand it's about $10.00 a sq ft retail. It's actually more expensive than 1/4" Corian or HiMacs. Neither one are absorbent. However, I love the solid surface, it's so classy.

Larry Bratton
01-25-2009, 9:11 AM
You can still make printing blocks with that stuff, just set up the file as a rubber stamp, and use the rubber stamp setting in your driver. Glue it to a block of wood, and your set to go
Bill:
The stuff I worked with was already bonded to a block of mdf. I reckon you could just engrave it like a stamp, cut the size out and then use it that way. Could probably even glue a handle to it. The stuff is a little bit smelly but nothing more than wood. Certainly would not approach rubber as far as stinkability. I think what this guy was going to do was to ink the one I made, and then since the background is what would imprint, the leaves and tree would be white. His logo is actually black with the tree and all white. Anyway, I got educated.

Bill Cunningham
01-25-2009, 8:17 PM
Bill:
The stuff I worked with was already bonded to a block of mdf. I reckon you could just engrave it like a stamp, cut the size out and then use it that way. Could probably even glue a handle to it. The stuff is a little bit smelly but nothing more than wood. Certainly would not approach rubber as far as stinkability. I think what this guy was going to do was to ink the one I made, and then since the background is what would imprint, the leaves and tree would be white. His logo is actually black with the tree and all white. Anyway, I got educated.

In that case what you did should work out perfect for him.. It looks good to me!!