PDA

View Full Version : Progress update - dovetails 101!

John Keeton
01-24-2009, 3:56 PM
A week ago, I posted my first attempt at hand cut dovetails. Haven't had a lot of shop time, but over the past few evenings, I have practiced my saw cuts some, studied my mistakes, and cut a few more dovetails. This is #11. While my consistency is getting better, I still take two steps forward and one back. Rob Cosman says that one has to not think so hard about it and have confidence in the cut - just let the saw do the work. I am getting better at that, and have loosened my grip on the saw considerably - which helps a lot.

In this venture I want all of you to know that I am enjoying using my handtools more than I would have dreamed. While I don't see me giving up my Griz machines for stock prep, I am really enjoying this challenge. Thanks for all the encouragement each of you has given, and the PMs I have received from some with some really great tips and uplifting comments.

Half blinds are next. Although, I have given some thought to doing like Cosman does on his video and gluing a face on the full dovetails! I have started milling stock for my next project, and don't know if I can learn half-blinds sufficiently in time.

Al Navas
01-24-2009, 5:45 PM
NOW you are just plain showing off, John!!! :D :cool:

All kidding aside, these look terrific - I think they look perfect on this photo. You have made so much progress in such a short time, we will have to nominate you for the Most Progress During the Year Award.

TERRIFIC - nothing else can be said. You may officially start the half-blind journey now, John.

A week ago, I posted my first attempt at hand cut dovetails. Haven't had a lot of shop time, but over the past few evenings, I have practiced my saw cuts some, studied my mistakes, and cut a few more dovetails. This is #11. While my consistency is getting better, I still take two steps forward and one back. Rob Cosman says that one has to not think so hard about it and have confidence in the cut - just let the saw do the work. I am getting better at that, and have loosened my grip on the saw considerably - which helps a lot.

In this venture I want all of you to know that I am enjoying using my handtools more than I would have dreamed. While I don't see me giving up my Griz machines for stock prep, I am really enjoying this challenge. Thanks for all the encouragement each of you has given, and the PMs I have received from some with some really great tips and uplifting comments.

Half blinds are next. Although, I have given some thought to doing like Cosman does on his video and gluing a face on the full dovetails! I have started milling stock for my next project, and don't know if I can learn half-blinds sufficiently in time.

Jim Dunn
01-24-2009, 6:07 PM
John those look great. 11th or 100th.

Could you give us some idea about how large the boards are so we have some idea of scale?

Alan DuBoff
01-24-2009, 6:10 PM
Yes, you can, because there is little difference between the through dovetail and a half blind.

This looks good, you can do the half blind with no trouble, don't grieve over it, just do it and you will be amazed at how similar it is.

OTOH, if you don't like chisels, you won't like half blinds...but then you probably wouldn't like dovetails either. I'm a chisel freak, so I say go for the hand cut half blinds!

Phillip Pattee
01-24-2009, 6:54 PM
Them 'r purty.:)

Jim Barrett
01-24-2009, 7:21 PM
John,
Nice job...Rob Cosman would be proud!!

Jim Paulson
01-24-2009, 7:34 PM
Great work John,

The layout of the tail and pins is good. You are probably using a knife in marking out the pins right? Marking the pins with a pencil line messed me up when I first started cutting dovetails. I found that sharp marking knives keep me out of trouble. Years ago I spurged and bought a pair of deluxe layout knives with bevels on one side (left and right) from Garrett Wade . They are among the better investments I have made. Having the line put on the wood correctly and consistently helped me to focus on the cutting.

You'll do great on the blind dovetails I'm sure.

Peace,
Jim

John Keeton
01-24-2009, 8:09 PM
Could you give us some idea about how large the boards are so we have some idea of scale?
Jim, this one is 4". I have been using various scraps of walnut and poplar that I had in the shop. Not all of them have been the same, so it has given me a little varied practice.

Al, thanks for the go ahead!! I am probably going to wait until I get those Blue Spruce chisels in from Dave before undertaking the halfblinds. And, you are right - it is a journey!! Down the slope.........!

And Jim Paulson, I am using a marking knife that I made for the pins. Again, I took Cosman's advice and dulled it slightly to get a little more pronounced "V". Seems to work very well for the saw. I picked up a hook blade (linoleum blade) replaceable insert for a safety knife, and cut it down to the shape and size I wanted, cut a kerf in a piece of walnut, and epoxied it in. Then shaped the handle. It is comfortable and lays in my hand the same every time.

The biggest challenge was getting my saw cuts on the tails exactly perpendicular to the face of the board. Loosening my death grip on the saw really helped with that.

Thanks again guys!

Von Bickley
01-24-2009, 8:19 PM
John,

They look GREAT......

Jim Becker
01-24-2009, 9:12 PM
John....really...those are excellent!

gary Zimmel
01-24-2009, 9:55 PM
Great job John....

I too think it's time for a 1/2 blind.

When are you expecting the new chisels?

Wilbur Pan
01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Really nice work there, John!

At this rate, by the end of the year, you'll be whipping out blind mitered dovetails like no tomorrow. ;)

John Keeton
01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Gary, Dave told me 2-3 weeks. I ordered a 1/8, 1/4 and 3/4, but I think I am going to get a 1/2, as well. And, as I said before, thanks for the emails, and the pics you have posted. You have been a great encouragement.

Jim and Von, thanks again. You guys all do such great work - and your support of others is gracious.

And I forgot to comment to Alan DuBoff, I actually enjoy chisel work, and have some history with that - the saw has been my challenge. But, I am getting there - slowly. I really think I was initially trying too hard. Relaxing with the saw was a major step.

John Dykes
01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh just stop it....

:D

John Keeton
01-25-2009, 8:25 AM
Oh just stop it....

:D
John, I did! After each screw up - but then I thought, "John Dykes" wants me to succeed" - and that is what inspired me to go on....;) Hope all is well you and Beth!

Mark Singer
01-25-2009, 9:46 AM
John,
Those are clean! You are sawing really well. Nice proportions as well starting with the half pin....

John Dykes
01-25-2009, 9:58 AM
John Dykes actually wishes John Dykes lived closer to Winchester so John Dykes could learn something....

Very much looking forward to your half lap dovetails; and impression of the Blue Spruce chisels.

John Keeton
01-25-2009, 1:42 PM
Thanks Mark. For me at least, it seems more pleasing if the half pins are close to the same width as the full pins. It is hard to tell in the pic, but the half pins are 3/16" and the pins are 1/8". I know the goal for many is the London "same kerf" pin, but with a wider half pin that one has to have for stability and strength, the London pins don't seem as appealing to me.

I noticed in the chest you posted recently in the thread on drawer guides, that the pins were close to the same width and I liked that look. Although, with the more centered pair of pins, one could have London pins and it would still look balanced.

John Dykes, I wish you were here, too. We could make some shavings together, and I could use all your planes!!!! Maybe even talk you into putting some of those razor edges of yours on my blades!

Jim Koepke
01-25-2009, 3:24 PM
Nice looking work.

The biggest challenge was getting my saw cuts on the tails exactly perpendicular to the face of the board. Loosening my death grip on the saw really helped with that.

This was also one for me to learn. The saw, if properly sharpened, will track well all by itself. Using a death grip will translate every false movement and heart beat into the saw and cause it to veer and wander.

Half blinds should be no problem for you, just practice a little first.

Did my first set recently and though they are not great, they are promising.

jim

frank shic
01-25-2009, 3:41 PM
nice job john. you've taken your first steps into a larger world!

Jason Tuinstra
01-25-2009, 6:26 PM
John, you are rockin' now! Good for you. Keep with it!

Tim Cross
01-26-2009, 9:20 PM
John, those look fantastic. I am definitely not there yet. I,m having more trouble with the pins at the moment. I,m seriously thinking of taking a 5 day hand tool course in July from Rob Cosman in Calgary Alberta. I,ve seen him at woodworking shows and really enjoy his DVD,s.