PDA

View Full Version : Monster Gloat!

George Guadiane
01-24-2009, 3:14 PM
I know that most of you have seen pictures of this REALLY COOL TOOL, but none that showed the unit on my dining room table :D
I can't wait to get this thing mounted on my lathe and make a hole in something, talk to ya all later :p

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2009, 3:17 PM
Congrats and great gloat. You are going to love it.

Rick Hutcheson
01-24-2009, 3:39 PM
It may be a cool tool if I had any idea what it was. Maybe your message was directed at only people who know what tool it is.
It might have helped to tell where you got it, what it does.

john l graham
01-24-2009, 4:06 PM
Rick. Here is where you look at what it is and does.

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html

Dustin Cranford
01-24-2009, 4:29 PM
Wow that is as much as my poor little Jet Mini. Congrats on the new tool or system should I say.

Jim Glock
01-24-2009, 4:37 PM
How deep can that tool go? Interesting design...congrats on the new addition! jim

George Guadiane
01-24-2009, 4:41 PM
It may be a cool tool if I had any idea what it was. Maybe your message was directed at only people who know what tool it is.
It might have helped to tell where you got it, what it does.

You're right Rick, sorry for the oversight (I was excited)...
This tool, when set up on the lathe will help to hollow hollow forms, deep vases and bowls, for that matter. The articulated arm holds the cutting tool VERY securely, allowing for more control over the cutting edge. There is a laser attachment that is set to help determine thickness of the walls.
There are several other threads on this and similar hollowing tools on this and other sites, I just figured "everyone must know" about it by now...

Wow that is as much as my poor little Jet Mini. Congrats on the new tool or system should I say.

You're right, it is a bit expensive, but it "should" pay for itself in a fairly short order, considering it will reduce the number of pieces I ruin because I lose track of the cutter... You know, when the inside and outside meet.

Rick Hutcheson
01-24-2009, 4:53 PM
OK Thanks George.
I thought it might be that kind of tool but I am not fimiliar with all the brands and types they make. I went to the web page and it does explain a lot about it, I have it bookmarked now. Sounds like you are going to enjoy that. To much of this turning stuff their are just too many brands makes and models to look at, I like to see the information on them, so if I do want to buy one I know what is out there.

Ken Glass
01-24-2009, 6:34 PM
George,
You are going to love Randy's Monster Hollowing Tool. It will give you much more confidence when hollowing deep HF's or Vessels. Great Gloat!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2009, 6:49 PM
George - Welcome to the Club!!!

I have both of Randy's systems and use them almost daily! Beautiful systems! They make a world of difference in the final product! Have fun with it - you will be amazed at the control you now have inside a hollow form!

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 8:51 PM
Oh man, must resist buying another lathe accessory right now if I want to sleep indoors and remain a married man..................Nice gloat on the hollowing rig, let us know how you like it!!

Jim Glock
01-24-2009, 9:25 PM
How deep can you safely go with that system? Thanks...jg

George Guadiane
01-25-2009, 1:11 AM
George,
You are going to love Randy's Monster Hollowing Tool. It will give you much more confidence when hollowing deep HF's or Vessels. Great Gloat!!
I'm sure I will!

Oh man, must resist buying another lathe accessory right now if I want to sleep indoors and remain a married man..................Nice gloat on the hollowing rig, let us know how you like it!!
HMMmmmmmmmm There's a lot to be said for living free in the great outdoors (not by me, but it's been said).

George - Welcome to the Club!!!

I have both of Randy's systems and use them almost daily! Beautiful systems! They make a world of difference in the final product! Have fun with it - you will be amazed at the control you now have inside a hollow form!
Your comments were BIG factors in making the plunge. I'm sure I'll like this one.

How deep can you safely go with that system? Thanks...jg
Don't know yet, but I'll probably try to take it one inch further than anyone else so far.
Don't know if I'll be successful, but I GOTTA try :D