PDA

View Full Version : Extended weekend doings - bittersweet edition.

Rich Engelhardt
01-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Hello,
First, let me say this is a difficult post.

I've debated posting it for the last two weeks because I know how awkward something like this can be & I don't want to burden anyone with my problems.

The good news:
My son, whose deployed in the Sinai is coming home tomorrow on a 2 week leave.
Today, I get to see my nearly fifteen year old grand daughter for the first time.

The bad news:
My son is coming home on an emergency family leave.
The grand daughter I've never met is my daughter's daughter. My daughter and I had a falling out over 22 years ago, and spoke for the first time two weeks ago.
What brought us back together is my daughter's health.

She's suffered a complete liver failure and the outlook is extremely grim.
W/out a transplant, her condition is terminal.
The wait for a transplant is six months.
The doctors have given her between one and 12 months.
It doesn't look good.

I've accepted the fact that I'm on the verge of joining what has to be the most terrible group of people that exists - parents that outlive their children.
Thank you in advance for helping me though such a difficult time.
You all have become a special group to me in the last 2 years and I can't begin to say how much I've enjoyed the company.

God bless each and every one of you, and please, hug your kids.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2009, 1:35 PM
Rich,

My sincere sympathy.

My prayers go out to your daughter, you and your entire family.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2009, 1:45 PM
Rich

Very sorry to hear of the circumstances! Thoughts and prayers have been sent your way!

Belinda Barfield
01-24-2009, 2:52 PM
Rich,

Sometimes sharing a burden lightens the load, but by a miniscule amount in this case I'm sure. Don't give up hope yet. I'm glad that you finally get to meet your granddaughter, and be there for her and your daughter during this most difficult time. My thoughts are with you.

Jim O'Dell
01-24-2009, 5:12 PM
I'm glad you are able to get back together with family. Sorry about the circumstances it is taking to facilitate that reunion. But I believe it must be for a reason.
Prayers going up and out for a donor that is a perfect match. Spend the time waiting for that to bridge the differences that caused the falling out, so that afterwards, the bond will be stronger. Hang in there! We're here to support you no matter what happens. Jim.

John Shuk
01-24-2009, 5:33 PM
Rich,
I wish you the best possible thoughts during this difficult time.
God bless you and yours.

Ben Franz
01-24-2009, 6:02 PM
Rich-

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's illness. I can't even imagine the pain this must cause you. Please do not give up hope. My sister was in a similar situation about 6 years ago and wasn't expected to make it until a donor was found. She had a spontaneous remission and recovery that astounded everyone - even the medical staff at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Nobody knows the future and hope never hurts.

Mark Stutz
01-24-2009, 8:29 PM
Rich,
I'm so sorry to hear this news. Rest assured your family will be in our prayers.

Jim Becker
01-24-2009, 8:50 PM
Rich, I'm very sad to hear about your daughter's condition and do hope that the medical community can help her keep going while she waits for that transplant. Thanks for sharing...the community can be a very important support during times like these.

Don Bullock
01-24-2009, 9:27 PM
Rich, my prayers are with you and your family. Through all this don't forget to take care of yourself as well.

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Rich,

Thanks for sharing and helping to lighten your load a tiny bit. You can count on the Peacock's praying for your daughter and your entire family.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Prayer said for your family. Keep us posted--we do care.

Judy Kingery
01-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Rich, prayers and thoughts sent your way. And I'd agree with the thought of hope, sometimes things do turn around.

I'm an organ donar; I became one the minute I turned 18, because my brother wouldn't be able to see today - without corneal transplants - and someone, some gracious person - making that decision years ago. He's an art professor, so that's kinda important to him to be able to see.

So yes, I think we're in this world to help each other out and my most sincere thoughts go out to you, your daughter, and grand daughter for peace and understanding.

Sincerely,

Jude

Lori Kleinberg
01-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Rich, there is nothing anyone can say to you at a time like this other than you and your family will be in our prayers.

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 4:29 AM
Rich,
I have been active duty for almost 20 years now and I have been placed on emergency leave from deployment twice. Each time (aside from the sadness of the losses) they have been great. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get the family together and see/ get to know folks you would not have otherwise.

Each time this happened the biggest thing that stayed in my memories were those family moments rather than the losses. The mourning of a lost one fades over time and pales in comparison to the happy moments.

I would bet a year from now you will remember reading this although during the actual time advice seems to be of little help... just wait.

Rich Engelhardt
01-25-2009, 6:58 AM
Hello,
Thank you all for the thoughts & prayers.
I'm a bit overwhelmed right now to do much more than collect my thoughts.

Phyllis Meyer
01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Rich,

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers! Especially for your Daughter! We will also pray for Peace, and the right direction for her treatment! We believe in a God that has control over the Doctors! May he Bless all of you!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Art Mulder
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Rich,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family ... especially your granddaughter.

Strength,
...art