PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw Zero Clearance?

Russ Filtz
06-29-2004, 9:51 AM
Was thinking of making a zero-clearance plate for my Bosch jigsaw. Can't figure out if I should include some sort of insert like they include to change blades, or just cut a single slot and remove the plate during blade change? My plastic insert from Bosch has worn and the blade wanders like a stray dog!

Should I make the plate from Baltic ply, or go all out with phenolic?

Hal Flynt
06-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I used 1/8 tempered hardboard.

Mark Mazzo
06-29-2004, 1:25 PM
Russ,

I agree with Hal's suggestion. I'd also use 1/8" tempered hardboard. It's cheap, slick, and easily renewable. You might want to make several zero-clearance plates when you make the first one (use the existing plastic one as a template). That way you'll have another when the first one gets "used" up!

-- Mark

Jamie Buxton
06-29-2004, 9:11 PM
Was thinking of making a zero-clearance plate for my Bosch jigsaw. Can't figure out if I should include some sort of insert like they include to change blades, or just cut a single slot and remove the plate during blade change? My plastic insert from Bosch has worn and the blade wanders like a stray dog!

Should I make the plate from Baltic ply, or go all out with phenolic?

Bosch thinks those clear plastic snap-in thingies are a wear item, just like the blades. You can buy five in a package for $4. The part number is JA1002. Your local tool dealer might carry them. If not, Amazon stocks 'em. Much better than making your own!

BTW, those inserts are really only intended to reduce splintering. They won't make your "wandering blade" stop wandering. On my saw, wandering generally means the blade is dull. It still feels sharp to the fingertip, but it behaves badly. So while you're buying inserts, get a package of blades too.