PDA

View Full Version : barefaced tenons, anyone?

frank shic
01-24-2009, 11:19 AM
anyone using this instead of the traditional tenon? seems like it would be a lot easier to cut!

Chris Friesen
01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
It's certainly useable, but any flaws in the mortise become visible, and you lose the racking resistance normally provided by the shoulder on the now-bare side.

Jim Dunn
01-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Chris wouldn't you loose only 1/2 the racking resistance? I do agree that the mortise is visible, but it looks like an acceptable joint if the mortise was placed on the inside say of a leg. Or hidden like is in the pic.

frank shic
01-24-2009, 12:59 PM
i just came across it while reading a book by time white on country furniture and he used it for joining an apron to a table leg and it appears a lot faster to cut plus less accuracy needed since it's just one face.

Bill Petersen
01-24-2009, 1:45 PM
I've used it where the bare-faced side is toward the inside of an apron. I didn't worry about racking as I don't expect anyone to jump up and down on my end tables. Obviously, my kids are grown.
Bill

Tom Veatch
01-24-2009, 2:32 PM
Chris wouldn't you loose only 1/2 the racking resistance? I do agree that the mortise is visible, but it looks like an acceptable joint if the mortise was placed on the inside say of a leg. Or hidden like is in the pic.

I'd say it's certainly usable anywhere you'd use a half-lap. Should be a little stronger overall with about the same racking resistance as a half-lap.

frank shic
01-24-2009, 7:16 PM
now to start looking for a 3/8" pigsticker!!! ;)

Zahid Naqvi
01-24-2009, 8:20 PM
I think one of the reasons tenons with two shoulders were used so commonly was because both mating surfaces were of the same thickness. If the mortised piece is much thicker in that it allows enough wood on either side of the mortise for support I don't see why you can't use this. There will not be any issue with racking resistance/support, keeping in mind you tenon shoulder is now twice as thick.