PDA

View Full Version : Mac & Vista & Corel 12

Bob Kline
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I use XP and Corel 12 on a dedicated PC connected to my Epilog. I use a Mac in my office. The Mac allows dual systems, Mac and Windows, and I want to install Corel 12 on it. Does Corel 12 work on both XP and Vista. Which would you suggest that I buy?
Thanks from a Mac guy

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Does Corel 12 work on both XP and Vista. Which would you suggest that I buy?

Hi Bob,

Corel 12 should run fine under XP and probably Vista too. I would be buying XP in preference to Vista. I have Vista on my laptop and it has taken a lot of time to beat it into a stable and usable system without all of the "features" er, make that "annoying bells and whistles." :eek:

XP (internal version number 5.5) was pretty much an extension of w2000 (internal version number 5.0)

IMHO w2000 is arguably M$oft's best operating system ever. However I have made the decision today that I am going to move up to XP as I want to run Corel X4 and it will not install under w2000. Bummer.

Just my 2c.

Dee Gallo
01-24-2009, 1:22 PM
Hi Bob,

I use a Mac with Boot Camp and it runs XP and Corel just fine. I had Corel 5 thru 12 and then switched to X3, it's definitely the best. I have not switched to X4, nor have I tried Vista.

I used to use Parallels, but hated the interface and it never worked all that well, kind of glitchy. Don't waste your money on Parallels. Boot Camp on OS 10.5.6 is smooth and easy, no problems with scanners, printers or anything.

cheers, dee

Doug Griffith
01-24-2009, 2:00 PM
I do 99% of my work on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.6. Every now and then, I launch Parallels (with XP) for CAM work, checking browser compatibility or converting art in X3. I can say that X3 runs fine in short spurts in Parallels. It allows easy copy/paste and drag/drop between the 2 platforms and you can flip back and forth between Mac and Windows. Dee's suggestion to use Bootcamp makes sense if you are going to use Corel for any "real work". There is one less layer to deal with.

Cheers,
Doug

Kim Vellore
01-24-2009, 3:03 PM
I personally would recommend XP than Vista. Many are frustrated with Vista but for running Corel it does not matter. I am not sure if corel 12 works with vista, there is a 64 bit version of vista that may not be compatible... hope someone who has used it can chip in
I have switched to Mac for everything, I use VMware fusion and it is nice. I run 2-3 windows xp with Corel draw, all at the same time and can print to the laser from each window. I can drag and drop between windows and Mac. I can go on and on on how cool the MAC is. I used to be like most, skeptical about the MAC but once I saw a friend working on a mac on a movie and I wanted to try one and I did.. the best thing I ever did, I even run some DOS programs with it now... My PC building/buying days are over....
Kim

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 3:19 PM
I am not sure if corel 12 works with vista,

Kim, I would be very surprised if it didn't. When I first got my laptop I installed Corel 10 and it worked OK.

After reading about so many neat things that X3 and X4 can do, I had to make the leap. Problem was/is my desktop is running w2000 and Corel will not install so I am going to get XP and do the dual boot thing with w2000.

Actually triple-boot as I have Linux (Ubuntu) already dual booting with w2000.

Doug Griffith
01-24-2009, 3:47 PM
Just for kicks I got Mac OS9, Windows XP, DOS, and a Unix shell all going in different windows on Mac OSX. It Didn't even hesitate. Well, except for OS9. It's a little clunky.