PDA

View Full Version : can anyone show me there metal spinning spoon?

Bob Hallowell
01-24-2009, 9:26 AM
I want to spin some metal to incorporate it in to a turning, I need to see the busniness end of the spoon so I can make one. Plus if you have any tips that would be great too. I don't plan on anything fancy yet and it will be a soft metal-copper.

Dale Miner
01-24-2009, 1:02 PM
Hi Bob,

From your question, I'll make the assumption that you have not done any spinning, or perhaps not done any for a while.

Looking thru my photos didn't really turn up any good snapshots of the business end of the tools.

I would suggest that you obtain the first set of DVDs from Terry Tynan at Metalspinningworkshop.com. A chapter in the series is devoted to tool making. The material of choice for spinning tools for soft metal is 4140 prehard. Mild steel will work, but will require more maintenance of the working surfaces. The most frequently used tool (by me at least) is the 3/4" combination tool. If you go to jamesriser.com/Machinery/Forging/ToolForging.html, at the bottom of the page on the right side there is a photo that shows several tools. The second one from the bottom is very close to the combination tool that works for me. In addition to spinning tools, you will need a trim tool, the making and use of is also covered in Terry's DVDs.

The information contained in the rest of DVD will dramatically improve your learning curve.

Here is a link to an album of some spinning I did a couple of years ago before taking up woodturning.

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980244849977&ownerid=9970225996070

Again, suggest you get the DVDs.

Later,
Dale M

Bob Hallowell
01-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Dale,
I am not doing anything major for this first spin. It is just to compliment a wood turning. I saw Dave hout do it on dyi but could find the profile of the spoon.
Thanks Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
01-25-2009, 3:51 AM
I did a few spun pieces a couple of years ago, I used some steel shafts, and I think as long as they are hard enough and smooth and strong enough they should be fine, I didn't have any special shape made, just heated and flared it with a little curve, then sanded and polished then, I think Robert Sorby made some spinning tools at that time, I don't know if they still do.
Here's a link with some info, I thought I had a few more but could not find them, I will see monday if I can dig them up.

http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/

Jeff Nicol
01-25-2009, 8:04 AM
Leo, I love the copper ornament! My Dad has wanted to do some metal spinning for years, but so far nothing. He is 71 and still going strong, he is building a new house this spring so he can set up his little machine shop!

All I know about metal spinning is that the tools need to be polished to get a good finish. I also have seen some guys use a wood paddle on aluminum sheet. I think that if the wood is hard and a little lube is used you can do that too.

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks Jeff, well there's a whole lot to learn if one wants to go in that direction, and not many hand spinners around anymore, as most is done with hydraulic gear nowadays, you pretty well have to make your own tools also, with the need for larger heavy duty lathe.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Bob I did have a couple more links, but they all seem to have have moved or just aren't there anymore, I remember having a good one from a place in Spain, but I am unable to find that one, the only thing I did find is some videos.
The Robert Sorby website hasn't any spinning tools anymore, and the Yahoo metal spinners group is also gone it seems, so there isn't a lot I can add to your arsenal, sorry.

http://www.truveo.com/Metal-Spinning-Workshop/id/4175774562