PDA

View Full Version : Corel Tips

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 9:20 AM
I am starting this thread for the purpose of providing tips on the use of Corel Draw. Everybody who has ways of using CD and wants to share them please contribute without waiting for prompts.

Rodne Gold
01-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Use the align shortcuts
For example if you draw a big circle and a smaller square , you select both and just type E and C and the square will be aligned dead centre within the circle.
The object you select first will be the one to "move" , IE if you select the Sq first , the circle will be static and the sq will centre in it
There is also P (align all selected object to centre of page) , T (align the Sq to the top of the circle) B(bottom), L(left) and R(Right)

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I got this link from another posting on the Creek a day or so back. There are a lot of good tutorial videos here...

http://coreldrawtips.com/index.html

Anthony Welch
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know this guy and I got turned on to this site by probably someone from SMC. But alot of what he does will work with what we do. He's posted some new things since last year if it's been that long since some of you have looked at it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alexisgalvez&view=videos

I've just found out he has his own CorelDraw Tips website now.
http://coreldrawtips.com/

Anthony

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Very good link. I haven't seen anybody as good as Alex.

Shaddy Dedmore
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
you can do math in most of the boxes

as in let's say you draw a square and it's a weird number, x = 2.37", Y = 2.37 and then later you decide to make the x 3/16" larger, you would just type in to the box 2.37" +3/16 then hit the Enter key.

Tom Bull
01-24-2009, 5:36 PM
I like having 0, 0 inches on the rulers be at the top left of the page instead of at the bottom left. You can relocate 0, 0 by click and drag on the dashed corner thing at the intersection of the ruler gauges (up in the top left corner of the working area of the page).

Larry Bratton
01-24-2009, 6:50 PM
When changing dimensions for an object or page, in the dimension box, instead of entering the decimal equivalent of a fraction, just enter the fraction in regular math format i.e. 7/8. You will have to enter a space after the whole number.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 7:10 PM
Instead of constantly zooming in and out.....click on Window|New Window and then tile the two windows......you will then have two views of the same document and changes in one will be seen in real time in the other.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 8:58 PM
You can also zoom in and out by rolling the mouse wheel..

Scott Shepherd
01-24-2009, 9:11 PM
I like having 0, 0 inches on the rulers be at the top left of the page instead of at the bottom left. You can relocate 0, 0 by click and drag on the dashed corner thing at the intersection of the ruler gauges (up in the top left corner or the working area of the page).

Tom, are you aware you can set that up to stay like that? I think it's under "Tools", "Options", "Document", "Page", "Size", and then enter the height of your page in the Height field, "OK", then back to "Tools", "Save Settings as Default" and it should be like that all the time.

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 9:13 PM
If you right click on the ruler it will bring up the window Steve is talking about where you can make your settings permanent. Just be sure to save settings as default.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:37 PM
Heres something I've never been able to find (because it's probably staring me right in the face!) Is when you click File, Open recent, is there anyway to change the default number of recent files listed from 5 to maybe 20? It would sure save some time..

Larry Bratton
01-25-2009, 9:51 AM
Here's a Windows tip that I learned recently that goes with what we do in Corel...Have you ever wondered where to find the character for copyright or the little zero that denotes degrees. They are found by accessing the character map for the font.
In XP ..Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/ Character Map. A window will open that shows all the characters in a grid. You can select and copy.

Scott Shepherd
01-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Larry, that's in Corel as well. Under "Text", click on "Insert Symbol Character" and it'll bring up a docker. You can select any font and then scroll through them to find the alt codes to insert them. You can drag and drop them, or you can use them in normal typing. When you get to the place you want to insert the special character, just hold the alt key down, enter the numbers for that character, and then it'll appear.

Let's try it here..... © and 45° :) Yup, works here too :)

John W. Love
01-26-2009, 1:18 AM
Hey Mike, why not just start a seperate forum for Corel Draw or maybe make it a software forum so that other software program tips could be placed there as well. I know a lot of folks here use CD and it would make for an easy place to access tips, tricks and advice with just a click or two of the mouse.

Mike Null
01-26-2009, 7:52 AM
John

We'll put your suggestion to the boss.

What other software did you have in mind?

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 2:17 PM
Under "Text", click on "Insert Symbol Character" and it'll bring up a docker.

Thanks Scott,

In v10 that is in the Windows / Dockers / Symbols and Special Characters

Hotkey = Ctrl+F11

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 2:33 PM
You can also zoom in and out by rolling the mouse wheel.

Hi Bill,

I can zoom in and out but the area I am working on gets tossed all over the screen with the wheel. Is there anyway to lock the area I am using in the center of the screen for instance?

May just be a quirk of version 10. :confused:

Mike Null
01-26-2009, 3:21 PM
Dave
In my X3 the area where the pointer is is magnified.

Mike Mackenzie
01-26-2009, 3:46 PM
Don't know if everyone is aware of this. The tiny square that is located in the lower right hand corner by the X & Y page Scan arrows is a panning section when you are zoomed in on something on the page and you want to pan to a different area just click on this square and move your mouse.

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 4:05 PM
Don't know if everyone is aware of this. The tiny square that is located in the lower right hand corner by the X & Y page Scan arrows is a panning section

Hi Mike (Null), :) They obviously fixed after v10. Mine goes all over the place. Pic Zoom1 was when I used the wheel to zoom out 2-wheel clicks, from full page and Zoom2 is what Corel gave me after I clicked OK! :rolleyes:

A bug with v10, methinks.

Hi Mike (Mackenzie), very cool. Thanks

Brian Robison
01-26-2009, 4:21 PM
Can we make this thread a sticky?

Mike Null
01-26-2009, 4:27 PM
To toggle between the arrow and the magnifier use the space bar.

John W. Love
01-26-2009, 9:34 PM
Mike, mostly Alicia and I use Coreldraw and Photograv, but in my research going through the forums before I bought my laser I noticed that a lot of people use a wide range of programs that they use for various tasks. Sorry, its late and I have a long couple of days so my thinking cap has fallen off and I just cannot remember what they were. I will do some forum diving and come up with some examples.

Mike Null
01-27-2009, 8:44 AM
Here's another.

You can actually alter a post script fill beyond what the drop down window allows.

For example you want a hatch fill and you want to vector it. Create the fill in the Postscript fill flyout then save the drawing as a pdf file. Open the pdf then you will be able to individually adjust the fill.

Dave Johnson29
01-27-2009, 9:42 AM
To toggle between the arrow and the magnifier use the space bar.

Actually Mike, that works for whatever is selected from the left side fly-outs if they have a direct function. e.g. Rectangle Tool does, but Fill does not.

Scott Shepherd
01-28-2009, 3:40 PM
Just got a tip from the DVD set I've been talking about that I thought was a good one. Anyone got "Node Tracking" turned on? Mine was off.

If you go into Tools, Options, Display, and check Node Tracking, when you draw objects, all you have to do is hover over the nodes and it'll allow you to use the shape tool.

For instance, if you have it off, you draw a rectangle and then you want to grab the corners and make them rounded manually, you have to click on the shape tool, then you can drag the corners out and apply the radii you wanted.

With node tracking turned on, you draw the rectangle, slide up to a corner, drag it out and the radii are formed. So you don't have to click the rectangle tool, then the shape tool.

It works on all the shapes, arrows, stars, polygons, banners, etc.

Mike Null
12-28-2012, 2:57 PM
Want to make upper and lower case caps. Sweep highlight the text with the text tool then depress control, shift, K.

Martin Boekers
12-28-2012, 4:11 PM
This one is real important! Goto TOOLS, OPTIONS, SAVE........ You can choose how often Corel Automatically saves and designate
a folder for it so you can find it easily!

Great additions MIke! Some of these took months to learn when I first started Corel.

Mike vonBuelow
12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
This thread alone is worth the SMC subscription fee - just sayin

David Rust
12-29-2012, 12:45 PM
To change the order of an object back use the "Ctrl" and "PgDn"
To change the order of an object forward use the "Ctrl" and "PgUp"

Quicker than "Rt click", select "Order", select "forward one" or "back one"

Ronald Erickson
12-29-2012, 1:58 PM
>> Ctrl + rolling the mouse wheel moves the window left and right.
>> Alt + rolling the mouse wheel moves the window up and down.
>> Shift + rolling the mouse wheel zooms the window at a slower rate making it much easier to zoom in and out.
>> Click and hold the middle mouse button to use the Pan tool
>> Right click on an object + drag and drop will show an outline of the object while you drag (as if you were dragging an object with left click). When you release the mouse, a pop up menu will appear allowing you to move the object to the new position or copy the object. It's a handy way of duplicating an object while you drag it to a new location without affecting the original object.

Hi Bill,

I can zoom in and out but the area I am working on gets tossed all over the screen with the wheel. Is there anyway to lock the area I am using in the center of the screen for instance?

I'm on X6 so I don't know if this options is available in your version:

Tools... Options... Workspace... Toolbox... Zoom, Pan Tool... Check "Center mouse when zooming with the mouse wheel". That will change the zoom behavior to automagically center the mouse on your screen when zooming. It takes a bit to get used to because it moves your mouse cursor and screen from wherever it is to the center of the screen when you zoom. Holding Shift plus rolling the mouse wheel also slows the zoom rate.

Martin Boekers
01-02-2013, 4:26 PM
Here is a great little tutorial on creating an outline on a bitmap image....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabyoEe1grg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabyoEe1grg)

Bert Kemp
01-15-2013, 7:47 PM
My designs are suddenly changing size when I send from corel drawx5 to laser(retina engrave) why ?

Vicki Rivrud
01-16-2013, 9:16 AM
I am hoping someone can point me to the proper tutorial for this technique or help me understand how to prepare this technique in Corel.

I found this idea on this forum and would like to duplicate the technique - not the item.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vicki

Tony Lenkic
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Vicky,

To get that effect you need to add a white contour to script font. Pick the script font than go to "Effects/contour/". on the right side you will enter contour size and select to outside "1', "apply".
Now go to "Arrange/break contour apart" pick contour and click on white on color pallet. You may want to group contour with it,s font.

Michael Hunter
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Vicky -

Using the example you gave -

Write and place "IRWIN"

Write "Russ", "&" and "Kelly".
Select them and add a white outline to the letters (words). (Fonts normally have an outline of -none- width, but this is easily changed for the whole word at once).
If you need a thicker white outline, you may need to convert the text to curves and then use the contour tool instead - depends on the font as some are quickly spoiled by thick outlines.

Position these words on top of the "IRWIN" and you are pretty much done.

Vicki Rivrud
01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks Tony, I'll give it a try!

Vicki

Khalid Nazim
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM
What is the font used for the text "Russ & Kelly"?

Regards
KN

Vicki Rivrud
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Chopin Script free at dafont

Vicki

Khalid Nazim
01-16-2013, 4:19 PM
Great. Thanks.

Vicki Rivrud
01-23-2013, 7:52 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for this great tip!

I just made a customer very happy and this tip helped to save me time!

Vicki

Ronald Erickson
03-25-2013, 2:30 PM
Quickly copy an object: Using your pick tool, select an object, then while moving, transforming, or rotating the object, press the spacebar. It will instantly make a copy of the object.

Scott Shepherd
03-25-2013, 4:30 PM
Is there a way to change the start node in CorelDraw? Every so often, I have the need to dictate exactly where something starts but I've not found the method to move the start node yet. I know you can reorder the actual objects, but I'm talking about the start node itself.

Glen Monaghan
03-25-2013, 5:42 PM
If nothing else, you can break the curve apart where you want the start node to be. If you need the curve to actually be closed, you can rejoin the broken nodes by grabbing one, moving it away slightly, then moving back until they snap together. That will be the new start node. You can also reverse curve direction if desired to control direction the beam travels around the path.

Ronald Erickson
03-25-2013, 5:50 PM
Is there a way to change the start node in CorelDraw? Every so often, I have the need to dictate exactly where something starts but I've not found the method to move the start node yet. I know you can reorder the actual objects, but I'm talking about the start node itself.

Select the Shape Tool (F10), select the object, click on the node you want to be the starting point, right click and choose "break apart" from the menu, then right click and "close curve". That will move the starting point/ending point of a closed curve.

Edit: Doh! Glen beat me to it while I was testing. When you break apart the curve, you shouldn't need to move anything as the broken ends are overlapping already. Just close the curve at that point.

John Salitsky
04-16-2013, 7:34 AM
Some good stuff here! I'm using Corel for my laser engraving and vectorizing bitmaps etc...When I think of something that hasn't been mentioned yet I'll definitely jump in.

Dan Orcutt
04-28-2013, 8:23 PM
Very good link. I haven't seen anybody as good as Alex.

I wish I could understand him better. :)

Keith Frank
05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Which Corel Draw program should I buy for creating laser projects?

Mike Null
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Keith

I would buy CorelDraw Suite 6. It's the latest greatest version and has some neat things over version X5. I use X5 and am not ready to upgrade yet but I started with version 8 then 11 then X3 and now X5. I really upgraded to X5 to be able to open more files.

Martin Boekers
05-15-2013, 2:49 PM
Which Corel Draw program should I buy for creating laser projects?

Don't pay full price... Corel seems to have deals going all the time. Subsribe to their newsletter for a few months so you know when they have the sales.

Keith Frank
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Outstanding! It looks like they are very proud of it at just under $500. THanks Martin. Will look and Subscribe.

Kasey Maxwell
07-11-2013, 12:51 AM
I use templates with lots of the same graphics on them to engrave, some the the graphics have LOTS of nodes, I have seen some of the freeware vector art with "SVG Attributes" and it seems to group the graphic so the nodes are not visible when the graphic is selected, it seems to always be called "layer1" as the graphic when this is done, my question is........how do I do this to a graphic in coreldraw x5 ?

Thanks

Renardo Mouton
09-05-2013, 2:03 AM
Hi Keith, You can use any CorelDraw the newest version is X6 or 16. There is not a big difference between X5 and X6 but Corel 12 to 16 there is a lot that is different. X6 would be my suggestion for creating vectors and modifying bitmaps for photo engraving. e-mail me for vector graphics if you need some.

Mr Mike Mills
09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
I really do not like having the original file along with all the back up files that CD makes. There is a way under the options to turn off "create a back up" I think it was under the save option.

Mike Null
09-18-2013, 9:29 AM
How to make stencil fonts. This from today's Graphics Unleashed newsletter: http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.com/2013/09/convert-any-text-into-stencil-text-via.html

Mike Null
09-23-2013, 2:47 PM
Here's another helpful Item from Jeff Harrison.
http://jeff-harrison.unleash.com/2013/09/faster-access-to-popular-toolsfeatures.html

daniel coyle
11-24-2013, 9:35 PM
Hello
I am newish to Corel Draw (I have Corel Draw 12) and am using it with Laser Cut 5.3. I have been having trouble how to engrave a two color logo so that one of the colors is not acted/lasered on. It was sent to me as a PNG file that I imported to Corel, saved as an .ai file and imported into Laser Cut 5.3 where I saved it as an .ecp.
I am wanting to engrave just the black part. When I downloaded this and ran it on my laser it engraved the whole circle evenly/solid. Anyone have a simple explanation of what I need to do or a resource that I can use to figure it out?

Thanks
Dan

Brian Robison
11-24-2013, 9:41 PM
if they are 2 colors in 5.3 you can just turn that layer off if it's in vector.
Try changing it to a black & white .jpeg and importing it.275712

Mike Null
12-31-2013, 7:08 AM
Here's a tutorial on layers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vf1imJgl6M

Craig Matheny
01-03-2014, 8:33 PM
Tom once you move the ruler to the setting you like go to tools, save setting as default.. it will stay there for every new sheet

Don Corbeil
04-26-2014, 10:30 AM
I have a coreldraw question related to creating a frame object or shape that can be filled with patterns, text, etc quickly... I want to do some engraving work for a local frame shop, and I need to find a quick way to create a measured object/shape that can be filled easily. I've read up in tutorials, but it seems to be the only way is to create two rectangles, two fill patterns, with the inner rectangle being filled with white and the outer one being filled with the pattern of choice. Is there a less complicated way to create the frame 'area' between the outside and inside rectangle (see below) that stands alone (as an object/shape) and that can be filled with textures, patterns, etc.? Instead of two rectangles overlapping? Maybe it's just not how corel works... Thanks for any advice.
Learning corel after using autoCAD for years, it's like a different animal...

Craig Matheny
04-26-2014, 2:11 PM
Combine (ctrl+L) the two together that should do what you want if i understand what you need

Don Corbeil
04-26-2014, 3:52 PM
craig, that's it. Didn't realize it was that simple :o

thank you!

Mike Null
04-27-2014, 9:09 AM
Don

I've never been one to tout cd tutorials, preferring you tube instead, but this week I was installing X5 on a new pc and ran into a couple of issues with the work space. Back when I bought X5 I received the Graphics Unleashed cd by Foster Coburn. I had never bothered to open the package until this week and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with both the quality of the content and the presentation.

Anyway, I can recommend this without reservation.

Don Corbeil
04-27-2014, 9:56 AM
Mike, I will look into that CD. I sure wish there was a class offered in Corel by the local college here, but nothing so far. I picked up a paperback guidebook for Corel (800 pgs), but I still seem to find most of my specific solutions online. There's so much in this program that it really takes a sort of 'structural' understanding of how the program works to be able to get comfortable with finding ones own way to solutions. Thanks for the tip.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
05-07-2014, 12:31 PM
I always had CMYK as defaut
How to have RGB as defaut?
Thanks in advance

Jesse Anderson
05-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Great hint and it will help allot in the future when i need to find a odd symbol. Try it and it really does work..

Another suggestion on this.. Search on the internet for Alt codes.. There are thousands of them and many, many characters that are not even listed.

Trevor Howard
05-15-2014, 12:25 PM
>> Tools... Options... Workspace... Toolbox... Zoom, Pan Tool... Check "Center mouse when zooming with the mouse wheel". Thank you for this Ronald, I just bought X6 and was having a hard time getting used to the default wheel scrolling, this tip fixed it to how I am used to.

Paul hardy
06-04-2014, 3:12 PM
creating a frame object or shape that can be filled with patterns, text, etc quickly.

Another quick way to do this is using the smart fill tool. in X5 it's located above the rectangle tool. Here's a good video of what it does

http://advancedtshirts.com/tutorials/coreldraw-x6-for-beginners/categories/ceroldraw-x6-for-beginners/208/coreldraw-x6-tutorial-working-with-the-smart-fill-tool.html

Chris DeGerolamo
06-04-2014, 4:24 PM
Learning corel after using autoCAD for years, it's like a different animal...

How many times have you tried to zoom extents in Corel. And for the love of God, gimme some better osnaps.

Robert Walters
06-05-2014, 4:05 AM
Hi Bill,

In Corel 14...

Press 'Z' to get into Zoom Mode.
Marque select the area you wish to zoom to and release mouse button.
Press the SPACE BAR (sometimes CTRL+SPACE) to return to previous tool you were using.

John Bion
06-07-2014, 1:31 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to get Corel to share fonts with iMac via Parallels. I have a ton of fonts on the iMac which I cannot access in Corel and really need to.
Thanks in advance.
John

Robert Walters
06-07-2014, 2:38 PM
Does anyone know how to get Corel to share fonts with iMac via Parallels.

Don't "share" fonts, but copy and install them to Windows.
It will save you a lot of grief, even if you have 2000 duplicate fonts.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fonts_addnew.mspx?mfr=true

John Bion
06-09-2014, 3:06 AM
Don't "share" fonts, but copy and install them to Windows.
It will save you a lot of grief, even if you have 2000
thanks Robert, I will try that.
regards, John

Chris J Anderson
06-19-2014, 2:10 AM
A really nice tip - thanks to Graphics Unleashed - Corel X6 Unleashed CD...

Nudging objects.
After selecting an object, we all know you can use the arrow keys to move the object.

TIP 1 - Press Shift + arrow key to nudge it by a larger amount.
TIP 2 - Press Ctrl + arrow key to nudge by a smaller amount.
TIP 3 - You can adjust the 3 nudge distances in TOOLS | OPTIONS | DOCUMENT | RULERS.
Then as always, TOOLS | Save Settings as default.

Robert Walters
06-28-2014, 6:24 AM
COLOR PALLET STRANGENESS

If "Red" shows as a burnt orange, and "Blue" shows as purple...

Goto: TOOLS > COLOR MANAGEMENT and turn it off.

Seems to be a known issue for some from Corel 8 to at least Corel 14

Dana Perreault
07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
This also works if you right click while moving the object.

Robert Walters
07-24-2014, 4:51 PM
Positioning Objects

Corel doesn't give you a direct way to align objects:
top-to-bottom, "stacked",
left-to-right, parallel to each other, like books on a bookshelf.

What you can do is use the TRANSFORM tool.

For example:
Align the bottom of one object at 6"
Align the top of the other object at 6"
you now have two objects perfectly stacked.

It may seem simple enough, but sometimes snap-to-grid, etc can be a pain in aligning some objects.

David Somers
07-24-2014, 5:57 PM
Robert,

Depending on the version of Corel you have it does give you a way to align objects. The last object you select becomes that alignment objects that the others align themselves to. You select your objects to align, with the last selection being the key object. Then you type a letter code that says what you want to align by. Top Bottom, left, right, center, etc. And also align to guide lines, and snap to the grid if you want.

Here is a demo of this. http://coreldrawtips.com/site/aligning-objects-by-hotkey-in-coreldraw

Hope that helps.

Dave

Mike Null
07-24-2014, 6:09 PM
Dave is correct. There are alignment shortcut keys as well. E aligns selected items horizontally. C aligns them vertically. P centers an object or group to the page. L and R are also shortcut keys.

If text doesn't align visually in a vertical mode convert it to curves.

Robert Walters
07-28-2014, 3:52 PM
Dave, Mike,

I'm aware of align top, bottom, left, right center vertically, center horizontally.

That is not what I was talking about.

If you read the examples I gave, I talk about aligning object on top of each other, like staking boxes on top of each other. Corel doesn't offer this (that I'm aware of), ArtCam does though.

Maybe this will explain better:

David Somers
07-28-2014, 4:05 PM
Ahhhh. Got it Robert. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't have a copy of Corel with me here, but will when I get home and will look. I believe you can do it though. I assume you wanted them aligned the same way as we described, but "vertically" if you will rather than in a line. Check out the Arrange menu and look for align and distribute. There should be a series of check boxes you can use to determine how the alignment works. You should be able to do this with 1 object. Multiple objects. And multiple objects across layers.

See if my memory is correct and if that matches what you are trying to do.

More later! Unless someone else knows this better off the top of theirs heads of course.

Dave

David Somers
07-28-2014, 8:45 PM
Robert,

Just got home and checked in Corel for this. I had the opening menu wrong. Look for the Object menu, then align and distribute. I think that will be what you are looking for.

Apologies for the long delay confirming this. I work a long day and don't have any graphics tools at the office.

Dave

Mike Null
07-29-2014, 7:33 AM
Robert

thanks for the example. I don't know how to do it but I suspect there is a way in Corel. have you tried the Corel forum?

Robert Walters
07-29-2014, 9:56 AM
Using the transform tool method works.
It may be a two step process, but it sure beats doing alignment by hand.
Even with "snap to grid/object" enabled, you can still have issues, but this method works seamlessly.

Dave,

No worries. What I describe is not a common thing in any graphics/cad application that I have ever seen except in ArtCam.

Mike,
Try the method I originally described, it's the simplest way I've found.
Corel forum?! Ha! That places scares me ;)

I'm sure some macro could be created to make it a one-step process, but eh.

Dana Perreault
07-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Does anybody know a way to print out a catalog of the Fonts you have available in the font list?

Mike Null
07-31-2014, 12:32 PM
What version do you have? Older versions had a printed list in the manual but I see that X5 doesn't have the list. You can view the fonts in Win Explorer if you're using Win 7. Or you can use Font navigator and view fonts.

You may be able to print from navigator--haven't tried.

Dana Perreault
07-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Mike,.

I am using Corel Draw 12 on Windows XP.

I saw, some time ago, someone who was able to print a list of the fonts, where the font name was in the font style.
What I am going for is something that I can show my customers when the question comes up "What fonts do I have to choose from?"

In your example, are you viewing it right from the windows font folder?

Mike Null
07-31-2014, 1:22 PM
Dana

I can view either the Win font folder or my own font folder (example) on Win 7 pro. On Win XP Pro it does not show the actual font but only the name.

In version X3 the fonts are all shown in the clip art book that comes with the program. Have you checked your version 12 book?

I have versions 8, 11, X3 and X5. V8 and X3 have the fonts shown in the clipart book.

Dana Perreault
07-31-2014, 3:20 PM
Unfortunately, I purchased the computer with the program on it, so I don't have any of the installation disks, and it doesn't seem to be in the program files, I will keep searching though.
I have been using this for 3 years, and have always wanted to print these out, but just never got around to it. Now, maybe the story is, I could never figure out how to. Maybe I should just start trying random keyboard shortcut combinations ;)

Mike Null
07-31-2014, 4:59 PM
Dana

Most engravers select a handful of fonts that engrave well and that cover the basic variety of styles. They try to limit themselves to just those fonts for several reasons, not the least of which is how long it takes some customers to make up their mind when offered a broad selection. They then want to see how their job would look with two or three different fonts.

If you decide to offer everything you will pay the price but at least do yourself the favor of embedding them in your customers Corel file.

Dana Perreault
07-31-2014, 5:24 PM
Mike,
I certainly have experienced this, and considered limiting what is offered. More is not always better.

Mike Audleman
08-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Dana,

You may wish to grab this utility:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/windows_fonts_viewer.html

Its free, spyware free, adware free. Yea, really free.

It won't directly print but it generates an HTML document of either all or the selected fonts and sends it to your browser (IE, FireFox etc) and from there you can save, edit, or print it.

Mike Audleman
08-15-2014, 12:39 PM
An early post in this thread indicated you can do math in many boxes such as the width of a rectangle...
3.125 + 3/16 Will yield 3.3125 as the width.

At least in X7, you can also do unit conversions as well!

Put 3mm in the box and it will convert it to inches (assuming you are working in inches).

It also works for the math by specifying the unit for any figure:
4.125" + 3mm
2.032mm + 1/8"

Simply supply either an inch mark (") or mm to indicate the unit of measure for that figure.

Bert Kemp
09-19-2014, 9:55 AM
To quickly get rotated objects back to horizontal or vertical or any degree of orientation just select the object you want to rotate, go to the box in the tool bar at top of page that has the rotate arrow and degree icon and type in what degree you want the object rotated to .
90° for example is vertical 180° is horizontal.296934

rick elsey
09-29-2014, 3:56 PM
I am starting this thread for the purpose of providing tips on the use of Corel Draw. Everybody who has ways of using CD and wants to share them please contribute without waiting for prompts.
Hi.
I have a shenhui engraver, and I want to engrave bricks.
The problem I have, is when I save a file, it only saves and engraves the outline, not the solid letter.
Using Rockwell bold, I just get an outline, and I want to engrave a solid.
Same with the logo.
I look at the print preview, and it is justan outline.
I have tried some walkthroughs, but as I have coraldraw12, most of the tutorials are for later versions.
I have around 8000 bricks to do, so anyone who can show me how to make the letters solid will have a small shrine erected, and several virgins sacrificed.
Rick, Brisbane Australia.

Martin Boekers
09-29-2014, 5:15 PM
Welcome to the forum! Now, have you done a brick already? It takes a special type of brick and a lot of power. If you haven't please take time to try it.

First off, in Corel go to the header bar, got to view and make sure that the dropdown has enhanced selected. If not select it.

Next if it still isn't black, click on the type, then go to the color bar selection on the right side and left click on the black square (right click will color the outline)

If you don't have a color bar, then go to the header, select window, on the dropdown select object properties, with that docker open, select the paint can at
the top left of the docker. This will open the color selector and you can chose from that.

I wish you the best with bricks, they are tough to do, there are specialty companies in the US that do them and it's really hard to compete price wise. Plus they hold
a patent on the process....

God Luck!

Keep us posted!

rick elsey
09-29-2014, 9:39 PM
No problem with the power of laser, engraves a line just fine.
I just cannot seem to save the file as a solid letter, only as a hairline.
I have looked at several tutorials on the net.
Thank you for your hints, but I couldn't make them work.
If I could force the laser to look like a printer, I may be able to do something.
Coralx7 will not find the laser, I can only see it under coral12.
does anyone else have the same laser?

Mike Null
09-30-2014, 7:25 AM
Rick

I believe Martin has given you the right info. But let's try again. Select the text, left click on black in the color palette. That should fill the text with color.

If it doesn't, send us a screen capture or a CD file and somebody here will help you.

Tony Lenkic
09-30-2014, 8:24 AM
Mike,

I may be wrong but from earlier postings using Chinese lasers and associated software if artwork was created in Corel and exported as DXF fills are lost.
There is some settings in the software that sends file to laser that fills need to be properly set.
Someone with more knowledge can expand on this.

rick elsey
09-30-2014, 6:04 PM
I rang around and found a graphic artist with some experience and paid him $100 and a cup of really good coffee, to do some template files, and now it works.
(looks like he laid a crosshatching as a base, and then edits everything that is not needed.
Not as it is supposed to, but I can do what I need.
I takes about 18mins to do a great job, or about 6 mins to do an acceptable job. fiddling with the settings and speed will improve this.
I am selling one of my kids, and getting a $20,000 machine that works much better, for the future works.
This one is locally supplied and supported.
Lucky I already have a contract for 8000 bricks.
I actually think the machine is not bad, it is the software that sucks. It is solid as a tank, easy to service and play with, and Shenhui really tried hard to help me, although their version of English
is vastly different to mine.
I am buying a spare tube, and it should land here for less than $200usd.

Martin Boekers
10-01-2014, 1:44 PM
Rick, you may want to check out the "Stickies" at the top of the Engraving Forum threads. There is and area there just for Shenhui / Laserworks guys.

You may find more help there!

Mr Mike Mills
10-01-2014, 2:33 PM
I am working in Corel Draw 6X

I have one side of my object that is connected together. I want it so If I make the blue line longer that the side lines will also. You can see my original shape on the Right and when i make the blue line longer in the left picture it automatically adjust the bottom line. How do I connect the blue and the top line the same way that bottom line is connected? I have no idea how I did this on the bottom it just does it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAOcAAAErCAIAAAC qywMMAAAMyklEQVR4nO3cb0jVdxvH8ZF/Mieu6K/NKCqqOyQkWnPNNdeca85FRESEjIgIM2vdIRIRRkQLca0511xzz rtFRERERERIRERIREREVFgUuYJKauLK/37uB7rjyW158hx/v991zvv1NHd 14P3o2tc3zf0ar/9prlz /kbwFlv9PPvVAvvoVrYQ7Wwh2phD9XCHqqFPVQLe6gW9lAt7KFa 9K lRS0tbg/hJ4Bq333XkUngPe3tOnNGBQWPRsz479pmt6fpRbX4m ZmHT ulSs1cqSGD1dubtVnR75a2 r2WL2oFn9pbNShQ1q2TAkJGjtWa9bo1Cm1tkpav14FBW6P54dq I96jR6qsVE6Ohg7VpEnatEnnz6uz0/9PrFW7fz/Vhqf791VWpowMRUUpJUVbt ry5X/7W6qFq27c0M6dmjNHQ4Zo7lzt2qWbN/v9j6gWjuvq0qVL2rpVM2cqOloLFqi8XPX1gf8A1cIpHR06d04b N2riRMXFKSdHVVVqaBjAL1EtBllrq06e1OrVGjNGiYlavlyHD6 upKZifpFoMjqYmHTmiFSuUmKjRo7V6tU6cUHNo/tdAQQHVIoQaGlRdrUWLFBenCRO0YYPOnlVHR2g/QrUIhfp6lZcrM1MxMZoxQ1u26NIldXUN0teoFkGoq1NJidLSNG SI5szRjh26ft2Bz1ItXt VKyouVkqKoqI0f7727NG9e05 32C1aWmOTIKXdXbq/HkVFmrKFMXGKjtblZV69MiVWagWr9TWptOnlZenpCQlJGjpUh0 8qMZGd4eiWvyT58919KhyczVihEaO1MqVOn48VHur4FEt/Dx7pgMHtGSJ4uOVnKyCAtXUqL3d7bH6slbt//5HtaH38KEqKrRwoWJjNXWqiopUWzt4e6vgUW0Eu3tXu3crPV1R UUpN1fbtunbN7ZkCQrWR59o1bd u1FRFRSk9XaWlunPH7ZleD9VGhq4u1dZq82ZNm6aYGGVlqaJCD x 6PdYAUW1YuoVcnJio/XkiU6cEDPnrk9VrCoNhz5H7WOGKHcXB09qufP3R4rZKg2jPgft SYlKS9Pp0 rrc3tsUKPau3rPmrNztbQoZoyRYWFfz9qDTNUa9a9e9qzp eoddYsbdumK1fcnskhVGuN/1FrWppKSlRX5/ZMTqNaC7qPWrds0YwZiolRZqb27tWDB26P5RqD1b73niOTeEBH h86e7TlqHTZMixerunpgR61hhmq9p6XlpaPWFSt05EiQR61hhm o9o6lJhw9r XIlJmrMGP/H2NCHtWqrq8OtWv j1kmTtHGjzp0L VFrmKFal/iOWqOjNXPmqx9jQx9U6yz/o9aAH2NDH1TrCN9Ra3S0MjJUVqb7992eyTCqHTS o9bJk3sfY3vyxO2xwgHVhpr/UWv3Y2yHDrl 1BpmqDZEfEetw4dr1CitWhXCx9jQB9UG5 nTl45aux9j895Ra5ih2gHpPmrNylJMjKZP1 bNunjRy0etYYZqX8edOyot7TlqnT3bscfY0AfVBsD/qLX7Mba7d52eAX4MVjtvnhODdB 1FhVp6lTFxmrhQu3b59ZjbOiDal/W3q6amp6jVt9jbH/8MYhfxOujWkkvH7V2P8Z27JhevAj9hxAK1qr99ddQVtvYqIMHt XSpEhI0frzy81VTE5ZHrWEmIqv1HbX6P8YW1ketYSaSqvUdtUZ HKzVV27bp6tUB/hRcFQHV o5ao6I0b55KS3X79oDngxeEabV9jlqNP8aGPgoKtH6920P4Ca5 a/6PW HgtXqz9 /X0aWhHhOvColr/o9bhw8PvMTb0Ybla/6PWceOUl8dRa4QwWO0777x01LppU9g/xoY rFV77pxGj1ZKioqLI cxNvRhrVopDJ66RpAMVouIR7Wwh2phD9XCHqqFPVQLe6gW9qxb R7WwhmphD9XCHqqFPVQLe6gW9lAt7KFa2EO1sIdqYQ/Vwh6qhT1UC3uoFvZQLeyhWthDtbCHamEP1cIeqoU9VAt7qBb2U C3soVrYQ7Wwh2phD9XCHqqFPVQLe6gW9lAt7KFa2EO1sIdqYQ/Vwh6qhT1UC3uoFvZQLeyhWthDtbBn3Tpt2OD2EH6oFv2jWthDt bCHamEP1cIeqoU9VAt7qBb2UC3soVrYQ7Wwh2phD9XCnvx8qoU 1VAt7qBb2UC3soVrYQ7Wwh2phD9XCHqqFPVQLe6gW9lAt7KFa2 EO1sIdqYQ/Vwh6qhT1UC3uoFvZQLeyhWthDtbCHamEP1cIeqoU9VAt7qBb2U C3soVrYQ7Wwh2phD9XCHqqFPVQLe6gW9lAt7KFa2EO1sIdqYQ/Vwh6qhT35 frqK7eH8EO16B/Vwh6qhT1UC3uoFvZQLeyhWthDtbCHamEP1cIeqoU9VAt7qBb2r F1LtbCGamEP1cIeqoU9VAt7qBb2UC3soVrYQ7Wwh2phD9XCHqq FPVQLe6gW9lAt7KFa2EO1sIdqYQ/Vwh6qhT1UC3usVdvUpK /1okTam52ZB54kbVqf/1V48crKUmJiVq XIcPq6nJkcHgIQarff99dXbqwgUVFmryZMXFadEiVVerocGRCe E m9X6u3JFxcVKSVFMjDIzVV6u338fvPngBdaqrarqW63PrVvatU tz5yoqSmlpKinR7dshnw9eEEbV tTXq6xMGRmKjtasWdq2TVevhmo eEE4Vuvz LEqK5WTo6FDNXWqiopUW6uuriBHhOsMVpue/tq/2tioQ4e0bJkSEpScrIICnTmj9vaBjQjXRUa1Ps3NOn5cK1dq5E iNHKlVq1j9WmSt2l9 Capan7Y21dQoP19JSUpI0LJlOnRIjY0h GUMvkit1se3 p0yRXFxyslRVRWrX4 L Gr9 Va/0dFasEDl5aqvH6xvIQgGq/3gg0Gfoq5OJSVKS td/dbVDfpHETCqfaX6epWXa8ECVr eYq3aykpHq/V58kRVVcrJUVycpkxRYaEuXFBnpwuTgGpfm//qd/x45eerpkZtbW6OFHmodqD6rH5XrtTx46x nWGw2vnzHZkkYO3tqqlRQYHefpvVrzOoNnQ6O1Vbq6Kil1a/T564PVYYslbtzz97t1p/V69q2zbNmsXqdzCsXauNG90ewk 4VOvjW/0OGaK5c7Vrl27dcnsm86jWKf6r35QUFRfryhW3Z7KKah3X0MDq N0gGq/3wQycGcUBTkw4f1vLlSkxUUhKr38BZq3bfvvCp1qe5WSdOaNUq Vr8BolovaW/XmTMqKFByshIStHSpDh5k9ft3VOtJXV09q9 pUzV0qLKzVVmpx4/dHssrqNbz/Fe/GRkqK2P1a7DajAxHJvGe27dVWqp58xQV1bP6vXnT7ZncYa3an3 6K3Gp9HjzQ3r3KzFRMTGSufqnWsoYGVVdr0SLFxWnyZBUW6vz5 SFj9Um1Y6LP6zcvT6dNhvPql2vDiW/2OGqURI/Tllzp2TC9euD1WiOXlmav2o48cmcS4sF79Wqu2ooJqX09Xly5e 1ObNmjZNsbE9q99Hj9weKyhUG0muXdP27UpN7V393r/v9kwDQbURyX/1O2eOdu60tfql2sj28GHv6nfmTG3dqsuX3Z6pfwarXbDAkUkij P/qd9Ikbdrk5dWvtWp//JFqB5f/6nfcOG ufqkW/6KlRSdPavVqjR7du/p9/tztsSSqRf86OnT2rDZsUHKy3nxTS5fqwAE9e biRFSLgPlWv9OnKzZWCxdq3z5XVr8Gq/34Y0cmwSv5Vr9RUZo/X3v26N49xz5urdq9e6nWW 7ccX71S7UIkYcPVVGhrCwHVr9Ui1B7 lT792vxYg0bNkirX6rFoGlq0pEjWrFCiYkaO1Zr1ujUKbW2Bv/DBqvNzHRkEoROa2vP6nfMGA0frtxcHT0azOrXWrU//EC1hvlWvxMmKD5eS5YMbPVLtXBDcKtfqoXbrl/Xjh2aPTvw1S/VwjPu3tXu3UpP71393rjxj39osNpPPnFkErjHf/U7Y4a2bNGlS rq8v27tWrLy6k2gvhWv/HxmjhRGzfq3Dl1dFAtLPjzz57V71tvacyY8/9ZU7TuT7dn6kW1eKXWVp06dXNR0bFjbk/ih2phTwDVZmU5MgkQqP6q/f57qoXXUC3soVrYQ7WwJ4BqP/3UkUmAQPVXbVkZ1cJrqBb2UC3soVrYE0C1Cxc6MgkQqP6q/e47qoXXUC3soVrYQ7WwJ4BqP/vMkUmAQPVX7Z49VAuvoVrYQ7Wwh2phTwDVZmc7MgkQqP6q/fZbqoXXUC3soVrYQ7WwJ4BqP//ckUmAQPVX7e7dVAuvoVrYQ7Wwh2phTwDV5uQ4MgkQqP6q/eYbqoXXUC3soVrYE0C1X3zhyCRAoPqrtrSUauE1VAt7/g/FXoIw4f7K7QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAANcAAAFPCAIAAAB RXcx4AAAPHElEQVR4nO3df0xV9x3G8abovYqIMKT CERLraMtQWOVKVNrmWP21jFDGmOIaTpiDFJKmTGkIQZDWtIyRi 2l1DGHjFLXEEMMWYwhxjS0sV1XXetw0 iITKKzLYKUFsQLPPvjUHaLVPlx7nnOPfd5/WnlfD5/vBMT8v1 ex9GefddrFw5 g9F/Om 0X gCsVyqlD4VKHwqUIZwyuv4OWXrRs3VoWrVlk3X2zphReQk2PdO FUoY1CFwseusK5OFYoqFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFThcKnCoVPFQp fTo4qFDZVKHw2qDApybr5YkuqUPhUofCxK3znHVUoqlD4VKHwq ULhU4XCpwqFTxUKnyoUPlUofKpQ FSh8Nmgwp/8xLr5YiteL06eRE7O9cj43 zqs2ysKhSgrw NjXjuOURFISIC27dXbzry4q5 y arwiDW3Y333sPWrQgLw7x52LkTx4 jvx/6F1n87osvcPAgNm G243Fi7F7Nz78EIODvn FXWFtrSp0pitXUF6ODRsQEoKEBOzdizNnfujvqkIx1fnzKC7Gy pW4/34kJeHVV3Hhwj1/SBXKlA0N4dNPsXcvHn0U06YhJQUVFWhvH/8HVKFM1sAAmpuRl4dFizBjBjZvRnU1Ojom8SVVKBPU349jx7Bj Bx54AOHh2LYN9fXo6ZnKJ1WhjE9PD44cQUYGwsMRHY0dO/CXv6DPnF81q0K5q44O1NQgLQ0zZiA2Frm5eP99DAyYO0QVylja 21FRgY0bMX064uNRUIBPP8XQkJ mqULxcekSSkqwejXuvx8rV Lll/HPf1owVhUK8NlnKCxEQgJCQrB PfbvR1ublfNtUOHq1dbNlxGDg/jwQ zZg4cegssFjwcHD KLLyi7qMIgc/s2mpqQlYUFCxAWhmeeweHD6O7mLqUKg8O336KhAdu3IzISUVF4 7jk0Npr1e5apU4WO1tWFujqkpyM0FDExyMnBiRPwetlrjcau8E 9/UoXmu3YNBw5g0ya4XFiyBPn5 Phj//2eZepUoYNcvoyyMqxdi5AQLF OoiK0tLB3GhdVGPhaWlBUhOXLERKCtWtRWorWVvZOE6MKA9PQE D7 GC 9hKVLMX06UlNx4ACuXWOvNUmqMKB8d2kNMTEIDUV6Ourq0NXFX muqVGEg8L20FhmJ7dvR0IBvv2WvZRpVaGO l9YWLEBWFpqacPs2ey3zqUL7MS6teTxwu/HQQ9iz585Law6jCm2jrQ379w9fWktMxL59 Owz9k4WUYVsvpfWVq9GSQkuXWLvZDVVyGBcWisoQHw8pk/Hxo2orMTVq y1aGxQ4Zo11s3nGhjA8PX1qbORNbtqCmZnKX1hxGFfrfrVvfu7 SWkYEjR6Z4ac1hVKHf9PSgvh7btiE8HA884Ps4kIzCrrCmxmkV l5aW7wYeXlobjb90prDqEKTjFxamzYNjz5698eBZJScHLzwgnX jHFeh76W1cT8OJKOowkkZubQ2bRo2bEB5Oa5cYe8UwFThuI1cW ouL //jQF99xV7LCVThvfheWjMeB3rvPfqlNYdRhT9g5NJaRATmzkVmp omPA8koqvD7Oju/d2nNeBzIfpfWHEYVAvju0lpqKqZPx49/jJdewief2PnSmsMEd4WtrSgtHb60tmKFZY8DyShBWaHvpTXjca DLl63eQXzYoMLkZCsmG5fW8vOxZAlcLmzahKoq1uNAMorTK/R6ceLE8KW1kceBbt7040SZOIdW6HtpzXgc6OhR9PaaP0jMwK7w 0CEzK zuxuHDeOYZhIVh4UJkZ PECUdeWnMYR1Q4cmnN93EgR19ac5hArnDk0tq0aVi HPv24ezZKe4nFAFY4ciltZAQJCejtBT//rdZ wnF888HRIWjLq0F ONAMoq9K/S9tBYaii1bUFuLzk6/rijWs2WFvpfWIiKc9ziQjGKnCn0vrc2fj6wsXVoLEjaocNWq71 1aG v/aC/Oxq6wuRnR0UhIQGFh8DwOJKOwKwQc8BSpTJENKpSgpwqFTxUKn yoUPlUofKpQ FSh8KlC4VOFwqcKhU8VCp8qFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFThcKnCoV PFQqfKhQ VSh8qlD4VKHwqULhU4XCpwqFTxUKnyoUPlUofKpQ FSh8KlC4VOFwqcKhU8VCp8qFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFThcKnCoV PFQrf888jN9e6capQxqAKhU8VCp8qFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFTh cKnCoVPFQqfKhQ VSh8qlD4VKHwqULhy85WhcKmCoVPFQqfKhQ VSh8qlD4VKHwqULhU4XCpwqFTxUKnyoUPlUofKpQ FSh8KlC4VOFwqcKhU8VCp8qFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFThcKnCoV PFQqfKhQ VSh8qlD4VKHwqULhU4XCpwqFTxUKnyoUPlUofKpQ FSh8KlC4VOFwqcKhU8VCp8qFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFThcKnCoV PFQpfdjZefNG6capQxqAKhU8VCp8qFD5VKHyqUPhUofCpQuFTh cKnCoVPFQqfKhQ VSh8qlD4VKHwqULh27VLFQqbKhQ VSh8qlD4VKHwqULhU4XCpwqFTxUKnyoUPnaFPT148020tlq3gt gPu8LqakRFweXCs8/i/HnrFhE7YVd46BBlOcO4eMDLhc2LoVZ89at47Ygz0qNFy8iMxMu N1IT8fp09YtJWzsCqur/1 hoa0N2dmYMQMeD06dsmwzIbJfhYarV5GXh9BQpKTg5EkLNhMiu 1ZouH4d fmYPRvJyTh2DENDfl1OWGxQ4dq19/ihGzdQWIiICDz OI4eVYvOEwgVGrq7UVyM6GgkJqK HoODpi8nLOwK//jH8VZo OYblJVhwQLEx6O2Fl6vicsJS6BVaOjrQ0UFYmMRF4eqKvT3m7K csARmhYb flRVIS4OsbEoL0dv7xSXExYbVLhu3ZQ 6fWithbx8Zg/H6Wl OabKX1NGAK/QsPgIOrrkZiIuXNRXIybN034pliFXeHBg ZUaBgaQmMjVq1CRAQKC9HRYdqXxZ cVeGI48eRnIzZs5Gfj vXzfmMqhFRpOnkRKCkJDkZuL9nZ/TZEps0GF69f7d apU/B4MGMGsrNx bJ/Z8mkBEGFhtOnkZ4OtxuZmbh40YqJMm7sCv/wB4sqNLS0YNs2uFzIyMC5c9bNlbsKsgoNFy7g2WfhciE9HWfOW D1d7hCUFRpaW7FzJ9xueDz46CPODgIgqCs0tLcjNxczZyI1Fc3 NzE2CmA0qfOIJ6 b/EOM4bVgY1q1DUxN7m6DDrrCqyhYVGjo6sHcv5sxBUhIaG3Wc1j Kq8A5dXSgqQlQUli3TcVprqMIf0NODkhLMm4dHHkFdHQYG2As5 mSq8q95elJcjJgZLlqC6GrdvsxdyJhtUuGGDdfMn59YtVFXhwQ exaBEqK9HXx17IadgV/v73AVChwetFTQ2WLsXChSgr03FaE6nCCRoYwOHDSEhAdDSKi9H dzV7ICVThpAwOoqEBK1YgMhL79qGzk71QYFOFUzA0hGPHsGYNw sNRUIAvv2QvFKhsUOGTT1o330 M47SzZmH3bly9yt4m8LArPHDACRUaPvgAqanDx2nb2tjbBBJVa La//Q1paXC5kJmJS5fY2wQGVegfn3 OrVuHX0r 17/Y29idKvSn8 eHj9Nu3YrPP2dvY182qDAlxbr5FK2t2LEDLhfS0vDJJ xt7Ihd4dtvO79Cw3/ M/xScmoqPviAvY297NqFvDzrxgVxhYZr17B7N2bNwvr1OHGCvY1d qEKGL79EQQHCw7FmjV5Khipk6uxEURF 9COsWIGGhmA TmuDCn/2M vm29DXX PVVxEdjccew HDwXmcll1hZWWwV2gwXkpeuBAPPxyEx2lVoZ309aGyEosWYfFi HDiAW7fYC1lEFdrP7duorsbDDyMmJkheSlaFdmUcp33sMcybh5 ISfP01eyE/skGFGzdaNz/gDA7iyBEsW4aoKBQVoauLvZBfsCt86y1VeG/GS8lJSZgzBwUF Oor9kImU4UBpakJ69dj1izs2YP//pe9jWlUYQBqbkZqKmbORG4urlxhb2MCVRiw/vpXpKXB7cbOnWhtZW8zJTao8Oc/t26 8/z970hPHz5Oe/48e5tJYldYUaEKTXDuHDIyho/Tnj3L3mbCVKGDXLyIzEy4XNiyBadPs7eZgKwsVegwbW3Dx2k9H pw6xd5mXFShQ129irw8hIYiJQUnT7K3uQcbVJiaat38YGO8lDx 7NpKT7Xycll3hm2 qQr 7cQOFhYiIwOOP4 hRG7aoCoNGdzeKixEdjcREu72UrAqDjHGcdsECxMejthZeL3sh QBUGqb4 VFQgNhZxcaiqQn8/dx0bVPiLX1g3X3z196OqCnFxiI3lHqdlV1hergrJvF7U1iI HvPno7SU8lKyKhQAwOAg6uuRmIi5c1FcjJs3rRyuCsWHcZx21S pERKCwEB0d1oxVhTKW48eRnIzZs5Gfj vX/T3NBhVu2mTdfJkQ46Vk4zhte7v/5rArfOMNVWh3p07B44HbjawsXL7sjwmqUMbn9Gmkp8PtRmYmLl 4099uqUCaipWX4OG1GBs6dM urqlAm7sKF4ZeS09Nx5szUv2eDCp96yrr5YqLWVuzcCbcbHg8m gqX2JXuH /Kgxs7e3IzcXMmdi4Ec3Nk/uGKhQzGMdpw8Kwbh2amib606pQzNPRgb17MWcOkpLQ2Dj 47SqUMzW1YWiIkRFYdmycR6ntUGFHo9188UyPT0oKcG8eXjkEd TV3f2lZHaFr7 uCp2stxfl5YiJwZIld3kpWRWK/926haoqPPggFi1CZSX6 kb9d1UoVvF6UVODpUuxcCHKynyP06pCsZbxUnJCAqKjUVyM7m7 YosKnn7ZuvtjE4CAaGrBiBSIjsW/f7l93UissK1OFwWtoCMeOYc2aXldEQdYNy8aqQhlDy5//YeUbY6pQ FSh8I1V4ebNjE0keN1R4e9 pwrFYqpQ FSh8I1V4S9/ydhEgtcdFZaWqkKxmCoUPlUofKpQ MaqMC2NsYkErzsq/O1vVaFYTBUKnyoUPlUofGNV KtfMTaR4HVHhSUlqlAspgqFTxUKnyoUvrEq3LKFsYkErzsqfO0 1VSgW x oQha9dtXdwgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==297679297678297677297 679297678297677297679297678297677

Mayo Pardo
10-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Mike you can do this by selecting the node edit tool (below the pointer/selector tool) click on the red line and click the node you want to move. Just move the node of the red line up to meet the end of your longer blue line. This will change the angle of the red line though. You can click/drag select both nodes of the line and move it without changing the angle. Right click on a node for additional options.

You can also keep the same angle on the red line by just selecting the red line only, using the pointer/selection tool and click/drag it upwards to meet the top of your blue line. If you hold down the Ctrl key before you drag the red line, it will constrain it to move on a horizontal or vertical plane. If the red line is grouped with the blue line, ungroup first.

If you want to move the blue and the top red line together as one object, group them first. Don't include the bottom red line in the group.

Mr Mike Mills
10-06-2014, 9:30 AM
What I would like to do is lock the 2 notes so that if one moves they both move. When I make the blue line longer then angle will automatically change, and the nodes will both move when I enter a specific size with the keyboard.

Thanks Mike

Brandon Tippets
10-07-2014, 2:14 PM
Great thread. I just read through most of what's here to see if my issue was brought up but I didn't see anything, so here it goes.

I am having trouble importing .dwg and .dxf files into Corel without it throwing the scaling off. Say I have an irregular shaped object that is 10" x 18" overall in ACAD. When I import the drawing it changes it to some other obscure size (usually larger). When the import prompt box pops up every looks normal. The 'automatic' box is checked and my scaling is set to 1:1. Any ideas why this happening?

Thanks,

Brandon

Mike Audleman
10-23-2014, 5:15 PM
See what your base units are in ACAD. I work in Corel and export making sure I have inches chosen as my working unit. Then export as DXF. When I open it in RDWorks, I specify Inches as the unit. That way I am sure it will be scaled properly.

You may need to do the same when moving into Corel with a DXF.

Mike Null
11-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Here is a comparison of the various editions of Corel to X7.

http://www.coreldraw.com/static/product_content/cdgs/x7/CorelDRAWGraphicsSuiteX7_ComparisonChart_en.pdf

Dana Perreault
12-04-2014, 7:36 PM
Double clicking anywhere on the ruler will also get you directly to the Options, Rulers page.

Dana Perreault
12-04-2014, 7:53 PM
Dana,

You may wish to grab this utility:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/windows_fonts_viewer.html

Its free, spyware free, adware free. Yea, really free.

It won't directly print but it generates an HTML document of either all or the selected fonts and sends it to your browser (IE, FireFox etc) and from there you can save, edit, or print it.

This works brilliantly!! Thank you!!!

Mr Mike Mills
12-10-2014, 2:08 PM
I need some help with Corel Draw.

I am using X6. I want to make it so every-time someone hits file new document this is what shoes up, or every time someone opens the program for the 1st time this is what they see.

I am using this in a school an I can not always be by the students side as they open up the program and start designing.

Thanks for your help mike

Mike Lysov
12-10-2014, 7:23 PM
I need some help with Corel Draw.

I am using X6. I want to make it so every-time someone hits file new document this is what shoes up, or every time someone opens the program for the 1st time this is what they see.

I am using this in a school an I can not always be by the students side as they open up the program and start designing.

Thanks for your help mike

You can save it as a template file and I am sure there are some settings that can set Corel Draw to start by opening this template. If there are no such settings you can put a command line on a corel draw shortcut to open Corel Draw with this template by default. I do not remember correct syntax but if you google for it you should be able to find it.

Mayo Pardo
12-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Corel X5 Problem

I like to use Corel Connect to brows through the clip art. Initially it worked fine but for some reason now when I try to open Corel Connect it won't open and gives the error message:

Corel Connect Has Stopped Working
A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

I have the Corel X5 DVD in the drive while trying to open Corel Connect.
Does the computer have to have internet access to use this part of Corel?

I've tried using the repair program on the Corel disk but this did not correct the problem.

Anyone else have issues with Corel Connect?

Mike Null
12-20-2014, 7:24 AM
Mayo

Do you have it installed on your hard drive? I rarely use the feature but I have it on my hard drive. I can access it from the tool bar and from the Windows>dockers menu.

Mayo Pardo
12-20-2014, 1:50 PM
Mike, I have installed Corel and included Corel Connect in the installation, so I assume it is on the hard drive.
While trying a few things last night I discovered if I click the Corel Connect icon on my desktop, or if I click the icon within Corel that lists Corel applications, it gives me the error mentioned above. However if I go to Dockers and open the Corel Connect docker, it works fine. Very puzzling. At least I have a way to use it but something is still not right.

Bill George
04-19-2015, 9:57 AM
Using Corel X6, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Lenovo W/T 500 ThinkPad laptop. Display set at the default 1920x1200. I have the font size scale set at 200% and in very thing except for Corel draw that works fine.

I have tried to change the display resolution but the screen area gets reduced. On other computers I have been able to use arrow keys to expand the area, Not this one.

In Corel the screen drop down menus are fine but the Tool Bars have a tiny font size that is almost impossible to read. The Page size and Object size are so difficult to read.
Any suggestions? Other programs work fine.

Bill George
04-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Using Corel X6, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Lenovo W/T 500 ThinkPad laptop. Display set at the default 1920x1200. I have the font size scale set at 200% and in very thing except for Corel draw that works fine.

I have tried to change the display resolution but the screen area gets reduced. On other computers I have been able to use arrow keys to expand the area, Not this one.

In Corel the screen drop down menus are fine but the Tool Bars have a tiny font size that is almost impossible to read. The Page size and Object size are so difficult to read.
Any suggestions? Other programs work fine.

Even after updating the Lenovo drivers this afternoon including the video ATI card/chipset I decided just to use the Windows Magnifier. Pinned it to the Task bar at the bottom and when I need it, just click and when I am done, the Windows key + Esc gets it back to its garage so to speak. There must be a way to do it otherwise but after hours of screwing around with updates I gave up.

Mike Null
04-20-2015, 9:02 AM
Bill
There is a way--but you may not like the other results.
In your windows control panel go to "display", there you'll have options for text size, choose 150% and that wil enlarge the text in CorelDraw as well as everything else--that's the downside.

Scott Shepherd
04-20-2015, 9:17 AM
Or change the resolution down. That's an extremely high resolution for a laptop. Unless you need that for something, turn the resolution down and it'll fix all of your issues.

Bill George
04-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Or change the resolution down. That's an extremely high resolution for a laptop. Unless you need that for something, turn the resolution down and it'll fix all of your issues.

Scott I tried that and it just makes the screen size smaller, and in a normal Desktop I can resize using Arrow keys or a program furnished with the Video card. Not with this computer? Lenovo T500 with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Scott Shepherd
04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Scott I tried that and it just makes the screen size smaller, and in a normal Desktop I can resize using Arrow keys or a program furnished with the Video card. Not with this computer? Lenovo T500 with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

That's odd Bill, it shouldn't make the screen smaller. I'm not sure why it would be doing that.

Bert Kemp
05-15-2015, 4:29 PM
Just Found out that if you raster against the grain you get a better result then by going with the grain

Don Corbeil
05-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Similarly, in the trotec JC, you can run your raster passes either in a landscape or portrait mode, and I have found when I do it both ways on a raster project, the result is a much more crisp, well defined image. When I really need to pop something out, I'll do this. However the time factor when running in portrait mode can be lengthy, since I have to slow the speed (and consequently the power) down considerably. The machine will not tolerate the higher speeds in portrait mode - it will shake pretty hard to the point the piece will sometimes move.

Just Found out that if you raster against the grain you get a better result then by going with the grain

Bert Kemp
05-16-2015, 9:03 PM
Wow going both ways would be awesome and I can see how it would make a much better engraving. Don't know yet if thats possible on my rabbit. Something to look into. Also I've found I need to use better wood for engraving, .

Similarly, in the trotec JC, you can run your raster passes either in a landscape or portrait mode, and I have found when I do it both ways on a raster project, the result is a much more crisp, well defined image. When I really need to pop something out, I'll do this. However the time factor when running in portrait mode can be lengthy, since I have to slow the speed (and consequently the power) down considerably. The machine will not tolerate the higher speeds in portrait mode - it will shake pretty hard to the point the piece will sometimes move.

Mayo Pardo
08-30-2015, 2:09 AM
I haven't seen Doug Green mentioned here, unless I missed it...
Another nice source for Corel tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoPTrfyI_-VjWe9tAluMzig

Dave Hutton
10-22-2015, 9:28 AM
Some great tips on here chaps - thanks for taking the time to put them up, its just remembering them now :-) Been using Corel for a number of years and haven't even scratched the surface of it, as I more often than not use it for printed DTP output rather than anything else. Although that's going to change as I'm trialling a new embroidery software

I have some questions regarding preparing artwork for transfer to Lasercut 5.3 (from Corel)

This is what I 'think' I need to do - please correct me if I am wrong.

(Bear in mind that I don't have the machine yet, I just wanted to get some artwork ready so that when I have the training session, I can work with some things I've already prepared.)

In Corel

Lines that are to be cut/vector need to be in a black hairline ? (or presumably any colour as long as its consistent)

Artwork/logo shapes that are to be rastered/engraved should be no outline, filled with a solid colour and I will tell laser cut to use that colour for a certain speed/dpi/power (or whatever) So presumably if I have two different colours, one could be engraved deeper than the other?

Text converted to curves (no outline - unless more definition is required with a shallow vector cut)

Would I sort out the order of engraving/cutting within Corel first - say all deep engraving, followed by all shallower engraving, followed but final vector cut out (if required) Or is this better done within Lasercut itself.

Apologies if this has been covered before (which I guess it has, but couldn't find the answers for some reason - never quite got my head around forum searching functions - god help me when the machine turns up!)

Also any pointers to 'beginners guide to preparing artwork for lasering' would be most welcome.

I know I could figure this out when I get the machine but wanted to get ahead of the game a bit.

thanks

DJ

Bert Kemp
10-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Dave in lasercut you'll be able to sort your cutting and engraving by color. I engrave first then cut. I unfill everything and change to hairline. you tell laser cut which color lo cut or engrave.By leaving eberything unfilled and hairline everything you can do light cuts around the engraving such as letters or what ever to define the engraving.

Also I created a folder for corel tips I copy and paste them in to the folder

Roy Sanders
10-23-2015, 7:06 AM
Hi Rodney

Do you have to hold any key down or press both C and E together, or does anyone use Apple with Parallel and CD? I do what you suggested on my Apple laptop and nothing happens. :confused:

thank you

Roy

Bert Kemp
10-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Roy what are you referring to?

?
Hi Rodney

Do you have to hold any key down or press both C and E together, or does anyone use Apple with Parallel and CD? I do what you suggested on my Apple laptop and nothing happens. :confused:

thank you

Roy

Mayo Pardo
11-02-2015, 10:42 PM
I think the C and E keys Roy was referring to are used when wanting to Center two or more objects horizontally and vertically. For two objects, first select the object you want to move, then while holding down Shift, select the second object. Now just press the letter c to center them horizontally, and press the letter e to center them vertically.

The keys do not have to be pressed at the same time, it's two different commands.
Also to center an object to the page both vertically and horizontally at the same time, just press letter p.

I don't know if these keyboard shortcut commands work on a Mac...

Graham Taylor
12-01-2015, 12:53 PM
At the moment, Corel saves a backup of a file within the same directory as the original file.

Does anyone know of a setting in Corel where I can specify a different directory for the backup files? I have looked but couldnt see anything.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Gary Hair
12-01-2015, 1:23 PM
Tools:Options:Workspace:Save

At the moment, Corel saves a backup of a file within the same directory as the original file.

Does anyone know of a setting in Corel where I can specify a different directory for the backup files? I have looked but couldnt see anything.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Craig Matheny
12-01-2015, 2:19 PM
To specify auto-backup settings
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=102538 (mk:@MSITStore:c:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\Corel\Co relDRAW%20Graphics%20Suite%20X5\Languages\EN\Help\ Draw.chm::/Backing_up_and_recovering_files.html#Top)

Click Tools http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=102538 Options.

In the Workspace list of categories, click Save.

Enable the Auto-backup every check box, and choose a value from the Minutes list box.

In the Always back-up to area, enable one of the following options:

Users temporary folder — lets you save an auto-backup file in the temporary folder

Specific folder — lets you specify the folder for an auto-backup file

Mayo Pardo
01-21-2017, 12:27 AM
Corel X5 - Align and Distribute problems:
trying to align-distribute 6 dog tags within a box to make an engraving template. The distribute function doesn't do what I have checked off to evenly space them within the box horizontally. There are other ways I can accomplish it but I'm just curious why the distribute command would not work. I tried converting the dog tags to curves, broke apart the hole and the outline, grouped, ungrouped, combine, and nothing allowed the distribute command to work correctly. I even tried convert curve to object with no luck. Then I tried putting two guidelines in the same distance wide as the box, selected the guidelines and the dog tags and tried align-distribute and it didn't work as expected. Have you ever had this issue in X5 ?

Kev Williams
01-21-2017, 1:34 AM
I've only tried A&D once or twice. I've found- for me anyway- that it's much faster to just do my matrix layouts manually using the 'duplicate' function.

example- I want to batch engrave 25 watchbacks, and I need a matrix of holes in a piece of cardboard for them, 5 across and 5 down. The holes are say, 1.25", and I want them 2" apart.

I position the first hole where I want it, say 4" from left left and 4" from the top.
Now I'll enter the engraving I'll be doing within the hole.
Now I enter 2" 'X' and 0" 'Y' in the 'duplicate' boxes.
I group the circle and engraving, press CTRL then D four times, now I have my 5 across..
Now I change the dupe to 0" "X" and -2" "Y".
I group the five circles, then CTRL-D four times, now I have my 5 rows down.

Done!

have 25 holes ready to cut for the backs to fit into. All I have to do is cut the holes, place the backs in them, add Cermark, and the engraving will hit each one dead to rights.

I watch my BIL do the A&D thing with batches of 1x3 plates. I can walk over to my computer, do the same batch he's doing, finish, then walk over to his computer and he's still aligning and distributing. For me, it's more trouble than it's worth :)

Mayo Pardo
01-22-2017, 2:12 AM
Kev I normally do it the same way you described.
I just tried the Align and distribute thing to see how it worked and was perplexed that it didn't.
I'll continue experimenting with it just to see if I can determine what causes it to not work, or what conditions it needs in order TO work. I'm a glutton for frustration I guess...

One of my other design programs has an "array" function which works really good because you can specify in one screen how much space you want between items and if the duplicates are created off a corner or from the center outwards, etc. With options for if the space between items edge to edge, or center to center and so on.
Maybe newer versions of Corel have this function.

John Lifer
01-22-2017, 11:24 AM
i have used Kev's method a lot, saw a guy use the transformation docker to do the same yesterday and it might be slightly quicker if you know how many copies you need. one click on apply after putting in your number of copies. about the same time to determine location i guess. just another method!