PDA

View Full Version : LED/edge lit

Bill Morrison
01-24-2009, 9:19 AM
My nephew has to change exit signs, among other things, that still work but are required to be replaced. They have an LED strip that has 13 green lights. I took one apart and can place them into a base, that's no problem. I am just wondering what type of edge lit green would go with. Not what type but what color might be best to use. Or does it matter. I've used clear leds with orange edge lit but since I have access to green I thought I would get someone's opinion since I'm terrible about color coordination. He brought me 4 signs and said if I need more to let him know. I played around and changed some of the leds and if I have to I can do that. I'm already into lasering, using my shopbot, woodworking and photo restoration. I don't want to get into spending much time with LED strips. You'll probably get a laugh out of this but right now I'm having to retile the bathtub wall so my wife can have an aquarium in the wall. I thought she was driving to find the limits of my stability but after talking to the people at the tile shop he drew a diagram on how to make sure it's water proof. Guess it's more common than I ever thought. My error, I thought getting in a jacuzzi tub was just to get clean, not to stare at a fish.

Bill

Rodne Gold
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Use Clear perspex , the thicker the better..at least 5-8mm ..the lasering and edges will glow green. Some ppl put reflective tape on the exposed edges of the pex to reflect the light within the pex better.
What looks good is to laser a deeper outline to the letters and symbols as it glows stronger and tends to highlight them.
IMHO , it is "folly" to build an aquarium into a bathroom wall.....sure will look spectacular but wont it be a major mission to maintain?
I had a pal that built this huge in wall aquarium in his hifi room , he did have acess to the back but one day something happened and the whole thing broke and it was carnage- literally $100 000 worth of hifi down the drain......

Anthony Welch
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Bill, I can't help you on your LED question, as I learning all I can obut these myself. But I sure would like to see a Photo on the finished bathroom when your completed. And I'm sure you are not wanting to make this project any longer than it probably already is, but integrating some LED lights and engraving on the glass would be something to see.

Good Luck!
Anthony

Bill Morrison
01-26-2009, 1:00 AM
THanks for the tip about the clear perspex. THe aquarium will be set up in the closet on the opposite side of the wall and easily accessed. No different then a regular aquarium. I will build what she wants, since I was a carpenter for 26 years that's not a problem but there was never anything mentioned about maintaining the aquarium. I don't care if she puts water in it or not. Since I'm going to have to do the tilework and the framing for the aquarium I find it a challenge and that's going to be the fun work. I will be lasering some of the tile with an aquatic theme and I look forward to that since I haven't worked with tile that much,. And yes, I agree it is a folly but she's the only squeeky wheel left at home.

Bill.

John W. Love
01-26-2009, 1:14 AM
I too am not sure about the led lights as I haven't used them as of yet. However, I would love to see pics of the finished aquarium in the bathroom. I always wanted a giant aquarium along one wall in the living room so I could stock it with bass and then I could fish on days that it was just too nasty to go to the lake. :D