PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom vanity building book

Howard Miller
01-24-2009, 8:58 AM
I am going to build a vanity for bathroom. I have the "Building Kitchen Cabinets" book by Udo Schmidt. Great book.

Need some guidance on correct vanity dimensions (i.e. height, depth, toe kick depth, etc.).

Any good reference books available?

Brian Peters
01-24-2009, 9:04 AM
I would start with the requirements first, where the plumbing is, bowl size shape, how big the trap is. Some of these things will dictate what you can put in there that is functional. I would say bathroom vanities are typically shorter than kitchen cabinets, I wouldn't think to make one higher than 34 inches, 30 is desirable. Depth is whatever you want; is it in a cavity to fill that space, do you want it flush with the walls or set back a bit? If in a free space is the stone/corian top a set size you plan on using? There aren't set guidelines that you should find yourself restricted to; especially if its for you it should meet your needs and not those of someone in a book. Toe kicks are up to you; you could apply base moulding, do a standard 4" toe kick square, or set it back from the faceframe from inside the two stiles and not apply baseboard. Or do a scrolled baseboard with a nice 3-4 setback it would look nice.

Howard Miller
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Brian,

Good points. I am basically replacing the current one with new one.Since there are not any standards for the vanity, my concerns have been put to rest. My current dimension limitation is the counter size since I want to reuse the existing counter/sink (cultured marble), and the side wall and door opening. If I replaced the counter/sink top with larger one, I could only pick-up ~ 1 inch in width, but maybe a few inches in depth.

frank shic
01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
howard most vanities are 21" deep and the height with countertop is 30" as mentioned but i built mine to be 34" high since my wife and i are tall. the udo schmidt book is what inspired me to build my own kitchen cabinets. the danny proulx book is great also and offers actual cut lists.

Howard Miller
01-26-2009, 8:30 AM
Frank, the vanity I am replacing is 21 deep and 34.5 high, which is too tall for my family. So I will keep the 21 deep but reduce the height. Thanks for your response, and the book suggestion.