PDA

View Full Version : PC Locked Out

Peter Stahl
01-24-2009, 8:18 AM
Trying to start PC and it says it's locked out. When the first window comes up where there are icons to select the user there aren't any. I did a crtl-alt-del and a window came up and put in a username and password and this is where it tells me it's locked out. Anyway to get to the user accounts?

Ted Calver
01-24-2009, 9:01 AM
My first fix for everything is to reboot...several times. Then if it is still stubburn start it in safe mode and see what happens.

Peter Stahl
01-24-2009, 9:06 AM
My first fix for everything is to reboot...several times. Then if it is still stubburn start it in safe mode and see what happens.

Tried that. Safe Mode did the same thing.

Rich Engelhardt
01-24-2009, 9:09 AM
Hello,
Windows operating system?
Google ERD commander.
It's part of a set of utilities called Winternals.

You can create a bootable CD that will bypass the Windows and open up the OS so you can reset passwords or create a new super user to log into Windows with, the use normal means to reset the accounts.

If sounds like there's more going on than that though.

Try rebooting and before the splash screen comes up, hit the F8 key to display the boot menu.
Try selecting the last known good configuration and see if that gets you in.
If not, then try safe mode.

(oops see you already tried the F8 - must have posting at the same time)

Peter Stahl
01-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Was able to get in finally using another account. Unlocked the account I wanted to use and everything is working fine again. Thanks for all the help, going to safe mode and rebooting several times seem to do it. At least we got a user icon we could click on and log in with.