PDA

View Full Version : Slimline Kit Prices

Billy Tallant
01-24-2009, 2:55 AM
I'm wondering about some economical prices on slimlines? I know you get what you pay for, but was wondering about these pens. Pen State is offering a slimline called a funline slimline. Pricing around $1.65 each. Has anyone tried any of these out? If so, do they hold up ok? I've tried some of the economical slimlines from another company & they have a little difficulty with the twist mechanism gripping in the brass tube. A little drop of glue fixes that problem. Any info appreciated...

Stan Cook
01-24-2009, 4:39 AM
I'm wondering about some economical prices on slimlines? I know you get what you pay for,
You already know the answer ;)

RL Johnson
01-24-2009, 5:59 AM
If you are going to give the pens away then go for it but if you plan on selling them, I would get a better quality coating. The less expensive coating will not last a year of use. IMHO

Tim Leiter
01-24-2009, 6:21 AM
I have not heard anything good about the durability of the finish on the funline style slimlines so I have not tried them. I have been getting most of my pen kits lately from WoodPenPro. Jimmy's prices are very good, shipping charges are good and I get my orders very fast considering they come from Hawaii. Sometimes I even get a surprise blank with my order.

http://www.woodpenpro.com/pen_kits/index.html

You might want to give him a try.

Billy Tallant
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. Also thanks for the weblink. I will check it out.

Greg Cuetara
01-24-2009, 12:31 PM
All I have turned for pens so far have been the funline pens. I have turned about 50-100 of them. I am still in the process of learning and giving them away but one pen that I use 3-4 times a week has held up well for the past year. If you are selling your pens for $25 for a slimline then maybe a better quality kit is in order but for pens to give away or sell for cheaper the funline kits may fit your bill. Great kit to learn on as they are cheap.

Mark Hubl
01-24-2009, 1:36 PM
If you are just looking for practice slim lines at the lowest price point you may want to check out ebay. I am new to turning and assembling pens so I just got some slim lines off ebay. From what I can tell the kits were of the same quality as the low end slim lines at Rockler and Woodcraft. I was pretty happy with them and for give aways I will probably buy some more.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2009, 3:16 PM
Woodturningz sells the same stuff PSI sells and are a lot cheaper. I got my pens there when I was practicing.