PDA

View Full Version : Queen Mary

Mark Godlesky
01-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Over the holidays I was in CA visiting family and we toured the Queen Mary. I was blown away by the figured wood used everywhere on the ship. I've attached some photos but they just don't do it justice. They sure don't build 'em like they used to. This ship, and others like her were the fastest way to cross the Atlantic prior to transoceanic flight.

Dewey Torres
01-24-2009, 1:29 AM
That is amazing. I wonder how much is original.

Sonny Edmonds
01-24-2009, 1:35 AM
You ever see the dashboards in a Rolls Royce?
Holy moly! :eek:
That is one thing the Brits are, or were, noted for. Their artistry with figured wood and veneers. ;)
She's a Grand Old Dame!:)

glenn bradley
01-24-2009, 2:41 AM
Yeah, I love looking down the deck hallways at the paneling. I think that has got to be the most BE maple I have ever seen while standing in one spot.

Frank Hagan
01-24-2009, 2:47 AM
That is amazing. I wonder how much is original.

Its no longer considered a ship by the Coast Guard, but is considered a building. A lot was gutted to make room for the museum back in the late 1960s or early 1970s when Long Beach bought her. We went on the "self guided tour" sometime around 1975 - 1976, and jumped over a rope to go below the public areas that they were still restoring. The wood was in sad shape, but it was being stripped and restored, so I suspect a lot of the wood you see is restored from the original.

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 9:11 AM
Thats some amazing wood to say the least. Ive never had the chance to take the tour but maybe next time Im on the west coast visiting family I could.
Thanks for posting the pictures!!

Bruce Page
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I was blown away by the Engine Room! I found it amazing that they could machine those highly sophisticated and HUGE engine components back in the 30’s!
Another woodworking classic, they still had Howard Hughes’s "Spruce Goose" nearby when I was there back in the early ‘90s. :)

Randy Rose
01-24-2009, 12:46 PM
This ship, and others like her were the fastest way to cross the Atlantic prior to transoceanic flight.

My grandfather rode one to England as troop transport for WWII due to that speed. Claimed all the finery was covered with burlap and 3 G.I`s were assigned to each bunk, 8 hrs rack time, then wander the decks for 16hrs until it was your turn to "hot bunk" again.

Scott Vigder
01-24-2009, 6:04 PM
Yeah, I love looking down the deck hallways at the paneling. I think that has got to be the most BE maple I have ever seen while standing in one spot.

Not including the forest, eh? ;)

Scott Vigder
01-24-2009, 6:09 PM
I was blown away by the Engine Room! I found it amazing that they could machine those highly sophisticated and HUGE engine components back in the 30’s!
Another woodworking classic, they still had Howard Hughes’s "Spruce Goose" nearby when I was there back in the early ‘90s. :)

A WWII Navy vet, my Great-Uncle Duke told me over and over of the day he watched the Spruce Goose fly.

Bruce Page
01-24-2009, 6:25 PM
A WWII Navy vet, my Great-Uncle Duke told me over and over of the day he watched the Spruce Goose fly.
That must of been a sight to see!

Just walking around it was breathtaking. :eek::eek:

Frank Hagan
01-24-2009, 8:21 PM
My grandfather rode one to England as troop transport for WWII due to that speed. Claimed all the finery was covered with burlap and 3 G.I`s were assigned to each bunk, 8 hrs rack time, then wander the decks for 16hrs until it was your turn to "hot bunk" again.

My father had the same experience, both to and from Europe. He ended up sleeping on top of the piano in a ballroom so he didn't get so claustrophobic ... then he ended up being buried alive during the Bulge and had to wait an hour buried while the German tanks rumbled over him. He enjoyed the trip back to New York quite a bit more.