PDA

View Full Version : Any Festool Miter saw clones out there?

Ted Baca
01-23-2009, 11:59 PM
I really like the Kapex Saw from Festool except I think 1300 seems a bit much. For home use anyway. The 2 items that really appeal to me is the dust collection and especially the side rails that allow it to backed up to a wall. Why hasn't that been the design from the git-go? I was wondering if anyone has heard if any other manufacturer is or has a saw that will compete with the Festool at a lower price. And anyone that has one I would love to hear your opinion as an owner. I have a Bosch 12" Dual Compound Slider, but would sell it if I can come up with the rest of the money. Don't get me wrong the Bosch is great but gaining the ability to lose that 24" from back of saw to wall is might appealing.

Dewey Torres
01-24-2009, 1:06 AM
Ted,
Really no fair comparison but this saw (http://www.consumersearch.com/miter-saws/makita-ls1013fl) is being touted as the second runner up in a few articles I read.

David Werkheiser
01-24-2009, 7:30 AM
The Hitachi(?) 12" double bevel slide has a rail system like the Festool in that it will sit close to the wall, but that's where the similarity ends. I had the Hitachi 12" double bevel (non slider) for one week before I returned because of quality issues.
David

Scott Rollins
01-24-2009, 11:02 AM
When I looked at the festool Kapex the first time I immediately thought...That is ingenious! Putting the rails where they did is a first that I know of. However if they did not patent it (I'm sure they did) the next models of miter saws will be this way. So I say wait a year or two and there will be some copies out there. On the other hand you could go with a non-slider ( i have the Milwaukee 12" non slider). The 12 inch models will easily cut 8" across at 90 degrees with good to excellent dust collection.

Mike Heidrick
01-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Hitachi C12LSH has vertical side rails that are similar in function to the Kapex horizontal rails.

The Dewalt 717 is a great saw feature packed saw as well. The Dewalt LED light/shadow line option is superior to ANY laser IMO.

Neither may be as nice as the Kapex. For the cost of the Kapex you can own both and still $300 or more LEFT OVER :eek:

John Morrison60
01-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Ted
I have both the Kapex and the Makita.
I purchased the Makita too quickly, without measuring the rear clearance requirements adequately. It would not fit where I wanted to have my SCMS.
I then searched better, and finally bit the bullet and bought the Kapex.
I think that the Kapex does two things better than any other saw that I looked at.
1. It will fit closer to a wall in the rear.
2. It collects dust better.

If these two features are important to you, do the Kapex.
If they are not worth the premium to you, I think that the Makita is a great saw.
The table on the Makita is terrific, and the saw is made very well.
The fence is taller on the Kapex, and I prefer it.
I use the Kapex daily, and it is very precise, and the double line laser is good also.
I do like the work light on the Makita.

All in all, while the Kapex is great machinery, I would have "made do" with the high quality Makita, if it weren't for the rear clearance issues.

Good Luck
John

Ted Baca
01-24-2009, 6:25 PM
John M you echo my feelings on this. I will say that my Bosch does everything I need nit to except the space behind issue. With a dedicated vacuum attached to the dustport I get about 80-90% on dust collection and that is fair. I think the Kapex does better. But I have to think after what Scott offered is sound advice.
This is too new and Bosch,Makita, etc. are probably working on a new saw right now. So if I wait a year, maybe I can save a few bucks. The one issue that I don't like about the Festool is the propietary blade. I have always liked Forrest and even though the Festool might be a
better blade I really don't like being locked in on what blade I can buy. I want to thank everyone for you valuable input. But maybe in this economy and the possibilty of new saws with these features, I can still cut wood.

Michael Peet
01-24-2009, 7:23 PM
I own the above-mentioned Makita. I love it, but it does require a lot of space out back for the slider. Don't try to adjust the laser too much either. Great saw otherwise.