PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2009, 11:21 PM
If a guy had limited funds, because he just bought a plane or two from another Creeker or two, and could only swipe $100 out of the Cookie jar without getting caught, which grit sand paper should he buy for his Woodmaster planer?
And what should he sell so he could afford another hand plane?

David DeCristoforo
01-23-2009, 11:36 PM
"...which grit sand paper..."

"...what should he sell so he could afford another hand plane?"

The cookie jar. Then you have to keep the money in your pocket where it's "safer"...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Leigh......a quick question....."Whose cookie jar is it?"

The last thing you want is some big jack booted hairy chested officer of the law screaming through a megaphone: "LEIGH....RAISE YOUR HANDS AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COOKIE JAR!":rolleyes:

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Cookie jar was mortgaged o he could buy the first plane.

Sonny Edmonds
01-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Hypothetical answer is wait.
You'll be getting a stimulus check any day now and can indulge yourself again. :rolleyes: :D

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Good answer, but lets spend ahead buy that knight coffin smoother!!!!!!!

Bob Rufener
01-24-2009, 8:05 AM
Forget the sandpaper. Buy a bigger cookie jar. More space=more money.

David Keller NC
01-24-2009, 8:25 AM
If a guy had limited funds, because he just bought a plane or two from another Creeker or two, and could only swipe $100 out of the Cookie jar without getting caught, which grit sand paper should he buy for his Woodmaster planer?
And what should he sell so he could afford another hand plane?

Ha! That's easy - don't buy the sandpaper, you won't need it when you've gotten the handplanes up and running.

Peter Quinn
01-24-2009, 8:58 AM
I use 100G the most in both my drum sander and the wide belt at work. If I had only one grit, that would be it.

I won't buy anything I can't actually afford, and the two planes i use the most (Bailey #4 and Stanley #9 1/2 block plane) were purchased at a weekly flee market after much searching over many weeks for combined total of $24. No IOU's in my cookie jar. Minimal effort to flatten and tune each. I'm on the look out this spring for a bigger jack plane and possibly a jointer too. My thinking is if I pay my self $15/hour, a used plane has to be in good enough shape to cost less than a Lie Nielson or Veritas once the hours I've spent tuning it are accounted for or I will opt for the new plane.

There are several tool dealers that frequent my local flee market, and while they often have very nice and sometimes rare planes, they are the worst place to buy value wise as they charge top dollar and often command 'antique value' for their wares. I've told one hard seller point blank that I am a wood worker, not a collector with a display case. His response was "Well they don't make them like they used to" My response? "You're right, they make them much better then they used to, so if I am going to suffer with one of your old tools it had better represent a value to me."

My best luck has been at tables that sell mostly non tool items and just happen to have a few lightly used well loved planes on offer at a reasonable price. No shortage of planes at these flee markets, but some are so abused or neglected that the hours to repair them are beyond reason.

So if you have limited funds and enjoy digging through boxes of junk looking for a gem perhaps flee markets, tag sales and estate sales are a good place to start. I have never seen rolls of paper for my sander at a tag sale however.

Phil Green
01-24-2009, 9:07 AM
Hypothetical answer is wait.
You'll be getting a stimulus check any day now and can indulge yourself again. :rolleyes: :D

Forget the sandpaper. Buy a bigger cookie jar. More space=more money.

I agree with Sonny and Bob.

You will need a bigger cookie jar to hold all the money you are about to get from the man. Never mind where it will be coming from or how much it is really going to cost you. IT'S FREE MONEY! right???

Phil

Larry Edgerton
01-24-2009, 10:02 AM
You got all the money I had in my cookie jar! :)

Oh ya, the sandpaper. I have not recieved my 2675 yet, but I had a 22-44 and I have to agree with David that 100 would be the most useful. I don't think I ever used anything beyond 120 on that sander.

Hey I just picked up a Job! I think it may be the last one in Michigan!

Leigh Betsch
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Larry I'm glad to hear your a picking up a few jobs in MI. I hope you can get some use out of that panel router and saw blade.

I think 100g would be the best sandpaper for a "one drumsander paper" shop. Gotta go from the drum sander to the ROS anyway the way I see it.

I spent a little time surfing the Bay for planes. I have never searched for planes before, Yikes there are hundreds of 'um! I guy could buy a planes for ever. A special plane for everything. I'm sure there are planes for making planes!!

I built a bunch of A2 irons a while back, planning to make my own planes. I built a few and like them, I bought a few to see how others are built. I was thinking of buying a few more to see how they are built and how they work and then copy and improve for my hand built collection. But I think I'll save my money and buy a good book on making and using hand planes. And then just keep making my own.
But there is this one German block plane I put on my watch list... and I have this one big chisel I don't use.....and an Oliver lathe I don't have time for....and my old table saw....

Steve Rozmiarek
01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Larry I'm glad to hear your a picking up a few jobs in MI. I hope you can get some use out of that panel router and saw blade.

I think 100g would be the best sandpaper for a "one drumsander paper" shop. Gotta go from the drum sander to the ROS anyway the way I see it.

I spent a little time surfing the Bay for planes. I have never searched for planes before, Yikes there are hundreds of 'um! I guy could buy a planes for ever. A special plane for everything. I'm sure there are planes for making planes!!

I built a bunch of A2 irons a while back, planning to make my own planes. I built a few and like them, I bought a few to see how others are built. I was thinking of buying a few more to see how they are built and how they work and then copy and improve for my hand built collection. But I think I'll save my money and buy a good book on making and using hand planes. And then just keep making my own.
But there is this one German block plane I put on my watch list... and I have this one big chisel I don't use.....and an Oliver lathe I don't have time for....and my old table saw....

An Oliver lathe, in South Dakota? Leigh, I have literaly 100's of handplanes, and a weak spot for Oliver lathes... Maybe the cookie jar just filled up a little?

Leigh Betsch
01-24-2009, 3:10 PM
Maybe. I bought from Chuck Lenz, because it wasn't all that far away from me, 350 miles in Bsmark ND, which was about as close as I could expect. I've turned one screw driver handle in 1 1/2 years. Turning is in my future, just don't know how far into the future. You can search for the add that Chuck posted if you want to know anyting about it.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-24-2009, 4:21 PM
Nice lathe, Leigh. I should know this, but where are you in SD? PM if you want. Did you get the 3ph motor as well?

Leigh Betsch
01-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Steve I sent you a pm. I'm in eastern SD, which is still a long way fro western NE. I do have the original 3 phase motor, never tested it though but I can I do have 3 phase power.

Leigh Betsch
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Ok the answer really is 100 and 150, and a Velcro wrap cause he messed up the old Velcro when he accidentally took off .105 in stead of .005.
Less that a week after I posted this I misread my dial caliper and ran a rail through that was .100 over the others I was sanding. Ruined the sandpaper and Velcro wrap. Anybody have a good stripper to remove the glue off the drum? I have plenty of solvents (acetone, MEK, Xylol, may even have some old methylene chloride) but if someone has a "kinder and gentler" method I would like to hear it. A heat gun worked great to get the Velcro off but it left the adhesive behind.

And what should he sell so e can buy more planes, his Oliver I guess.

Bruce Page
02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Leigh, I would probably put some aluminum foil down to protect against any drips and use acetone & some rubber gloves.
I think acetone would cut it the quickest but you should post this as a new question for maximum replies.

edit: I have also had good luck using lighter fluid (charcoal lighter will work)

george wilson
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Steve,I have a 1950's Oliver wood lathe in real fine condition. Mine has a large speed dial in front.motor is behind the headstock,and has variable diameter pulley drive. I wish it would go slower than 500(?) RPM.,but it is single phase. Can't change the special purpose motor without a lot of machining,so,no VFD can help. Top speed is 3000 RPM.

I have 2 metal lathes I use for wood turning at times,for the ease of generating a precision cylinder for making a bench vise.

Personally,I don't like wood turning unless I'm getting paid for it. I do have a cylindrical clear dust hood over the lathe,and a 4" dust collection hose I can move about. It is jammed between the lathe and the frame of the dust hood,and can be slid sideways for best dust gathering.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
George, I really rarely have a reason to turn anything either, but for some goofy reason, I've always lusted after one of these Olivers. There really is no logical explination, so I'm not even going to try. I did agree to give Leigh's lathe a change of scenery, and it comes with a 3 ph motor. I was thinking VFD for the exact reason you bring up.