PDA

View Full Version : Working with Corian

Bill Petersen
01-23-2009, 9:15 PM
Hi folks, I just picked up some Corian scraps and wanted to make a few TS inserts. My question is, how does this stuff machine and will I need new saw blades and router bits when I am done. Thanks in advance, Bill

David Christopher
01-23-2009, 9:32 PM
Bill, Ive used corian a time or to for the same thing that you are doing and I used the same tools ( saw blade and router bit ) that I use for wood and had no trouble at all ( no dulling or cloging )

Doug Shepard
01-23-2009, 9:35 PM
Piece of cake. I usually use an 80 tooth crosscut blade and get very smooth TS cuts. No problem routing either. It does generate quite a lot of very fine dust though, and there's a minor stink to it but nothing too bad.

Karl Brogger
01-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Wear a mask, whatever it is that bonds the minerals together in solid surface countertops causes neurological disorders. No kidding.

Typically the only difference between router bits for wood, and those for solid surface work is the bearing.

Bill Petersen
01-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll use an 80 tooth blade and now I know to wait until the dust masks I've ordered arrive.

Thanks a lot, Bill

Wade Lippman
01-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Wear a mask, whatever it is that bonds the minerals together in solid surface countertops causes neurological disorders. No kidding.

Typically the only difference between router bits for wood, and those for solid surface work is the bearing.

Can you document this? It seems rather unlikely.

Besides, my experience is that it forms "dust" that is too large to be a problem anyhow; though cleaning it up can be a chore.

Karl Brogger
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Can you document this? It seems rather unlikely.

Besides, my experience is that it forms "dust" that is too large to be a problem anyhow; though cleaning it up can be a chore.

That's what I was told at a place I used to work at, never did look at the MSDS. When you sand it, its scary fine dust, best done wet. Probably won't have to do too much sanding when making a table saw insert I suppose.

You'd probably be fine, but I'm twitchy enough as is.:D

Jim O'Dell
01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I've got some Corian scraps I bought off Ebay years ago for something else, then decided against that project. I've thought about using it for ZCIs, but looking at my TS (Ridgid 3612) the lip would have to be about 1/8" thick on the outside edge. Will Corian as a ZCI hold up to that? I'm afraid it will be too brittle and want to break off and cause me some major kickback problems, or at least ruin a blade. Anyone know how strong it would be? My thought was to make a plate that I could use replaceable wood sections for the actual ZCI part that would sit in a dovetail in the Corian, like the commercial aluminum plates. Jim.

Bill Petersen
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Wade, I checked the MSDS online and it does have a warning about Corian gassing off a chemical that causes nuerological problems. The Corian has to reach 300 degrees Celsius (575 F) but the MSDS said that temp could be reached when sawing.

I would think that by using a very sharp blade and not pushing the speed combined with good ventilation there would be little risk. I don't recall seeing installers wearing respirators, but then again I don't remember that I ever wore hearing protection when I was an auto mechanic. Huh??

Bill

Bill Petersen
01-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Jim, I'm not sure what Ridgid TS you have, but I got the Corian idea from a coworker who uses it for ZCI's in his Ridgid TS.
Bill

Karl Brogger
01-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Wade, I checked the MSDS online and it does have a warning about Corian gassing off a chemical that causes nuerological problems. The Corian has to reach 300 degrees Celsius (575 F) but the MSDS said that temp could be reached when sawing.

HA! Thanks Bill, I'm far to lazy to defend my post, and don't care enough about someone else's gray matter to look it up for them.

Mike Wilkins
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Carbide tipped tools all the way. Use a high tooth count blade, moderate feed rate and carbide router bits. Good to go.

Doug Shepard
01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Wade, I checked the MSDS online and it does have a warning about Corian gassing off a chemical that causes nuerological problems....

What problems:confused:
tic ...twitch ...shudder..twitch...tic...

Wade Lippman
01-24-2009, 5:21 PM
I've got some Corian scraps I bought off Ebay years ago for something else, then decided against that project. I've thought about using it for ZCIs, but looking at my TS (Ridgid 3612) the lip would have to be about 1/8" thick on the outside edge. Will Corian as a ZCI hold up to that? I'm afraid it will be too brittle and want to break off and cause me some major kickback problems, or at least ruin a blade. Anyone know how strong it would be? My thought was to make a plate that I could use replaceable wood sections for the actual ZCI part that would sit in a dovetail in the Corian, like the commercial aluminum plates. Jim.

I have a Corian router table. It is 3/4" routed to 3/8" to hold the insert. That is 3 times as thick as what you are talking about, but my insert gives way more than force than your ZCI will ever see.

But I understand your concern. I once had a ZCI kickback and it was rather scary. (for the life of me I can't remember WHY it happened; but I am pretty sure I was doing something stupid.)

Mark Boyette
01-24-2009, 7:50 PM
When machined solid surface put out a fine dust.. quiet messy actually, but quiet safe. This is listed in MSDS as nusiance dust. Nothing toxic at all. Someone got fed some BS on the gasses.
Never thought of SS for table saw insert. We have enough scraps to make about 2,000.. market out there for it????:)
Mark.

Jay Yoder
01-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but it got me thinking (yes that is scary)...It would work for a router table, but my ? would be how would it be designed? would it have to have full support below...Wade would you mind posting some pics? What other usues could we come up with for it?

Jim O'Dell
01-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks Wade. I'll probably try it, eventually. Doesn't leave much room for leveling screws, but I should be able to tap the Corian for that without having to use a t-nut. The Ridgid saw I have is the old grey unit that Emerson made. Has the open webbed cast iron extensions. Great little saw. The 2 factory inserts, regular and dado, are steel. The one ZCI I bought from HD is all plastic with ribs on the underside for stiffening. I'd like to put the 3 pieces of Corian I bought to some use. :) Jim.

Josiah Bartlett
01-25-2009, 4:33 AM
You can drill and tap the saw table lip for the leveling screws instead of the insert if you are going to use the same material thickness for ZCI's or if you don't mind having to adjust it every time you switch ZCI's. The nice thing about doing that is that the cast iron holds screw threads nicely. If you need to go back to inserts that have leveling screws, just turn the new ones down flush with the lip.

To keep ZCI's from kicking back, use a pin driven into the back side that catches under the table (so you can only get it out by lifting the front). This is how Rockler's blue prefab ZCI's are made.

Jim O'Dell
01-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks Josiah, yes I knew I'd need to make something that would go under the table at the back edge, all the factory ones have a spring metal tab that slips under. I don't like the idea of the leveling screws in the cast iron. My luck they would vibrate out and at best be sucked into the cyclone dust bin, and at worse, hit the blade and find an exit hole in the saw, then find me!!:eek: :p And if I used a screw head on top so that it couldn't fall into the saw, that would make the Corian that much thinner. Sorry to hijack your thread Bill!! Jim.

Ken Dolph
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
The stuff is great for touter table tops. It is hard slick and stable. Half inch will span 25 inches without support. Mine has stayed dead flat for over 15 years. It is great cause you can use a pencil to make notes or reference marks.

The inventor of the stuff, Dr. Slocum, was always concerned that it was only used for countertops and other surfacing. He invented it as an industrial wear surface. It is great for jiggs of all sorts. If you have any 3/4" Corian it will stop a 357 Magnum bullet from 15 feet - actual test. It is used for skid plates on some Formula One race cars, and it is used in fine art http://www.babbart.com .

In 1994 duPont printed the booklet "How to Work with Corian in the Home Workshop". I have a bunch of copies. Just PM me with name and address and I will send them out.

I hope this helps
Ken

David G Baker
01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
My planer has a Corian table and it has served me well.