PDA

View Full Version : Todays Roughing

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2009, 8:14 PM
Had another good day of rough turning. Here's todays work. It's the same piece of Hard Maple that I roughed round & beat me up a little last friday. (1st pic)
I had a bad catch on the top rim :mad: & had to reshape the whole piece & lost about 4" in length. It's now only 24" tall, where it should have been 28" tall.:( However I do feel that I ended up with a good shape after all.

Pete Jordan
01-23-2009, 8:22 PM
Looks Great Joe!

What do you do about the pith in the bottom?

alex carey
01-23-2009, 8:25 PM
I love it, make sure to post the final product.

Jim Glock
01-23-2009, 8:28 PM
Awesome! I love the big stuff....please keep us posted! jim

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2009, 8:33 PM
Looks Great Joe!

What do you do about the pith in the bottom?
I center all my pieces on the pith. As soon as I get the piece rough shaped I seal the end grain with anchor seal. I hollow them to anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" thick from the bottoms,( this removes about 98% or so of the pith) so it usually isn't a big problem. Some will get small cracks & some won't. Those that get cracks will be filled with epoxy & saw dust.

Richard Madison
01-23-2009, 8:35 PM
Very impressive, and some nice ribbons from the inside. What tool bit are you using?

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2009, 8:43 PM
Very impressive, and some nice ribbons from the inside. What tool bit are you using?
Thanks Richard
On the one in the pic I'm using a Munro cutter. We also will use a Exocet quite often. Both will give you a cut when hollowing. We don't use scrapers for hollowing only cutting tools.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2009, 8:56 PM
Very impressive turning Joe! Love the form! Looking forward to seeing the completed version!

Steve Mawson
01-23-2009, 9:57 PM
Very nice, those big one's look like a real challenge. I see you are in the Quad Cities. Why didn't I find this forum when I lived there. Would have been a treat to watch if you allow that.

Richard Madison
01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks Joe.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow Joe that is impressive. I learned the hardway to make sure that pith is centered on the bottom. Love the form. Be sure to post when finished.

Rich Boehlke
01-24-2009, 12:36 AM
As a new kid, I've not seen such a big hunk of wood being turned. Very impressive indeed! How did you acquire your skills and how long have you been turning?

Dewey Torres
01-24-2009, 1:30 AM
As a new kid, I've not seen such a big hunk of wood being turned. Very impressive indeed! How did you acquire your skills and how long have you been turning?

Make that 2 "new kids" that are floored!:eek:

Roger Wilson
01-24-2009, 11:27 AM
I center all my pieces on the pith. As soon as I get the piece rough shaped I seal the end grain with anchor seal. I hollow them to anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" thick from the bottoms,( this removes about 98% or so of the pith) so it usually isn't a big problem. Some will get small cracks & some won't. Those that get cracks will be filled with epoxy & saw dust.

I read someones post that said they drill out the pith on the bottom (just use 1/2 inch forstner) then plug it, and that stops any cracks coming from the pith.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-26-2009, 9:41 AM
Thanks Rich
I've owned a lathe for many years, doing only spindle work. Then about a year ago I found a local turning club. I went to a meeting & saw some hollow forms & a large vessel on display. I was very impressed with. I said to myself , I want to try that. I talked to a few of the club members about my intrest & they interduced me to 2 guys in the club doing large hollow vessels. One of which is a Professional Turner & Artist. He invited me to visit his Turning Studio. I did & he has since taken me in under his wing &taught me to do these large turnings, became a good friend. So actually I just started turning vessels a little less than a year ago.
I Would Not Recomemend Anyone try these size turnings with out the proper size equiptment or have some training from someone who has experience in doing them. This can be Dangerous!!!

Bob Bergstrom
01-26-2009, 10:08 AM
That sure looks like Steve Sinner in the back round of the picture. If he is your mentor you are learning from one of the best. I sat in on his talk at "Turn on Chicago" last summer and was blown away with the mans skill and knowledge. That quite a playground he has there!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-26-2009, 8:33 PM
That sure looks like Steve Sinner in the back round of the picture. If he is your mentor you are learning from one of the best. I sat in on his talk at "Turn on Chicago" last summer and was blown away with the mans skill and knowledge. That quite a playground he has there!!
Bob
You got a eye for detail,;) yes it is Steve. Also your correct when you say he's one of the best. I've been very lucky & feel very fortunate that Steve has taken me in under his wing.:D As you said his Skill & Knowledge is second to none. I spend a lot of time with Steve & there's never a day goes by I don't see & learn somthing new.