PDA

View Full Version : Question on number of jack/trimmer studs needed.

Perry Schmidt
06-28-2004, 11:35 PM
My brother asked me a question - he has a sliding glass door that he's replacing, and he has the header supported by 4 trimmer/jack studs, two on each side. It's approx. a 69" span. Don't know the size of the header. He asked if he can take out one of the jack studs on each side.

Initially I thought 'Sure, no problems - you still have a jack stud supporting the header'. Then I though more about it - it's a two story house so the wall has a floor load, roof, etc. No snow though - he lives in Atlanta. So w/ a two story, does he need both jack studs? Or is one enough?

Initially I thought one was enough, but now I'm thinking he needs two. Anyone have a code-table handy?? :)

Perry

John Miliunas
06-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Perry, I don't know about the specific code, but two things come to mind. First, there's probably a good reason the original was installed with double studs. Usually, builders will try to "get by" with stuff, which puts more $$ in their pockets and whomever installed the originals, spent the extra bucks and time doing it. Secondly, I've put in several doors like that, and personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution. Just MHO.... :cool:

Perry Schmidt
06-29-2004, 1:00 AM
John - yea, generally I'd agree w/ you. But he's got a reason for wanting to remove it. Some other difficulty (which he didn't explain well yet) if he can't remove it. And generally I also agree 'there's a reason they used two'. But again, the guy he bought the house from was a very poor do-it yourself guy. Did TONS of stuff wrong, very badly and none of it was inspected. He's replaced so much sub-standard stuff in this house over the last 3 years it's unreal. There's not enough room for all the stories of things he has fixed. Over the last 3 years he's pretty much gutted the house and redone just about everything. The kitchen - this project - is his last one! I'll have to get a better explanation as to why he wants them removed. I do generally agree w/ you though - probably best to leave them in if you can. Of course there IS a real answer... :)

Thanks,

Perry

Mark Singer
06-29-2004, 1:12 AM
You need both a King stud and a trimmer under the header if they are 2x4 s

Perry Schmidt
06-29-2004, 1:15 AM
How many trimmer studs? I know you need at least one on each side. Do you need two w/ an exterior wall, 2nd floor and 6' span?? Or is one on each end enough?

Perry

Jim Schmoll
06-29-2004, 1:26 AM
I have been in construction both in WI and CA. I personaly don't know of any code that would require two trimers on each side for a 6' opeing.

Jim from Idyllwild CA

Greg Heppeard
06-29-2004, 9:23 AM
In my younger years as a framer (actually it was year), I never saw more than one on each side. I did my time in Ohio, where there is a lot of snow and we were doing approx 3000 sq ft, two story houses (high end at the time). When installing the framing for the double French patio doors, we only used one on each side of the 2 X 10 header build up. My question is, do you have 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 outside wall studs? But IMHO either would do the job with one on each side.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2004, 11:07 AM
If this guy didn't do much correct in this house, perhaps here was the only spot he overengineered the situation or, more likely, he screwed up the opening size and made up for it with the extra trimmers. They certainly don't hurt but they aren't necessary. The 1.5" x 3.5" area the header rests on on each side is plenty.

Perry Schmidt
06-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Jim/Greg - thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Greg - it's 2x4 walls.

Thanks again - I'll deliver the info.

Perry

Robert Cox
06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
You say it is a substandard house to begin with.

Now why would ANYONE take a risk with structural integrity in a house as you describe?

He needs to err on the side of caution.

Perry Schmidt
06-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the info - I pointed him to this thread. And just a little more info:

He thinks the extra studs were put in to trim out the opening for a smaller door. The house was built by Pulte, but the previous owner did lots of remodeling. One was he replaced the back sliding door w/ a smaller one than the rest of the neighbors - not 72", but a 69". So two trimmers looked like an addition to close the opening. The result was 8"+ trim on the back of the house that looks completely out of proportion.

So given that the framers think one is fine, he has a smaller door than the rest of the neighbors (who all have Pulte houses), it LOOKS like an addition and the trim is out of wack, I'm guessing he's OK w/ one trimmer.

After I pointed him to this thread, he was 'offended' when I called his house 'substandard'. :) (Not really, but he had to give me a hard time for calling his house 'substandard' :) OK, Mike - if you're reading this now, it's NOT ANY MORE!

Thanks again for the help - the knowledge here is a fantastic resource!

Perry

Greg Heppeard
06-29-2004, 9:50 PM
You can tell your brother that any house is substandard, if it's not built or supervised by the intended owner. Everthing else is built to someone elses standards and rarely live up to another individual. lol