PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on full size router tables?

travis howe
01-23-2009, 7:45 PM
So I hear and understand.... many people say...you spend enough on a REALLY nice router/router table you might as well get a good shaper.

So, I already have a pc 7518 router.... lets say I have up to $700 to spend on a table what would you prefer?

I believe I'm thinking about moving away from the extension for my powermatic 64a because I actually have some room for a stand a long and I use my table a lot so I can see it being a pain for me.

Right now, I have the cheapie, ryobi router/router table bolted down to a movable cabinet that is good on height.... the thing shakes like crazy, the top is very narrow...frankly I honestly am half scared to use it half the time.

Jim Butterfield
01-23-2009, 7:54 PM
Travis,

I have a Rockler table top and wood stand. I'm happy with the table. It's had lots of use and holds up. The fence is easy to adjust; I'll add a tall supplemental fence to it at some point though. The stand is -- in a word -- crap, so I'll be building a cabinet for it sometime this spring.

Bottom line: my experience suggests you can get away with a lot less than $700 and get good performance. However, if you want one of those granite table tops you can eat off of, well... :)

Don Morris
01-23-2009, 7:59 PM
Not quite sure what you're getting at. The 7518 used by itself is a beast. As I use mine mounted by way of a Bench Dog Pro Lift in the middle of my router table (which I made) which is attached to my table saw, it's bullet proof. I have a couple PC690's for smaller stuff away from the router table. I have the router table attached to the TS because of limited space in my shop.

Joe Chritz
01-23-2009, 8:02 PM
The cost is shapers really isn't in the unit itself. If you run shaper cutters it gets really expensive really fast.

I combat this somewhat by using router bits where I have to and buying cutters when I can.

Joe

travis howe
01-23-2009, 8:20 PM
Sorry... I guess my question is what combo of table and stand should I consider? Or is the stability of the "unit" more in the table rather than some expensive stand?

Maybe my best router would be to use my current (fairly stable) cabinets I have on casters and get a nice bench top setup to bolt on?

...maybe even a bigger question, having not ever used anything but this cheapie ryobi setup, I'm guessing/hoping that about anything is going to wow me?:confused:

Jim Kountz
01-23-2009, 11:37 PM
In a word, Woodpeckers.

Ron Bontz
01-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Well I am not sure what you are looking for. But if you are looking for a free standing router table, I'll just show you what I have. You already have the 7518 beast so you are ahead of the game. Shapers are indeed nice and you can probably find one if you are patient. Easier said than done I know. But a router table will indeed open up a lot more possibilities for you. This one is a little crude but it has serve me well for a number of years. I'll most likely replace it this year for a more "refined" version or go with a cabinet saw ext. Time and money will tell. Good luck.:)

Dewey Torres
01-24-2009, 1:33 AM
You keep it up Travis and you are going to have one heck of a nice shop!

Charles Robertson
01-24-2009, 7:21 AM
Ron, crude?
Only thing crude about that table is the light coat of dust on your vac hose. Al

Brian Peters
01-24-2009, 8:56 AM
I still don't get why people spend a ton of money on a router table when you could buy a decent 3hp used shaper for almost the same price some guys are paying. I know I know tooling costs more up front but it is better in the long run. A shaper with a feeder can not be compared with a router table and featherboards, regardless of whether they are the same price. I see all of these ads online for cast iron router table tops, expensive lifts, etc. I have a cheap router table setup for some alternative stuff that I need to do occasionally but I prefer the shaper.

Robert Parrish
01-24-2009, 9:07 AM
Take a look at Incra tables and tops. I bought one of their tops and built an enclosed stand for it or you could buy a complete setup from them. I also bought the Wonder Fence. I had a shaper in my old shop but as Joe stated the cost of shaper cutters gets really expensive.

Jim Kountz
01-24-2009, 9:39 AM
I still don't get why people spend a ton of money on a router table when you could buy a decent 3hp used shaper for almost the same price some guys are paying. I know I know tooling costs more up front but it is better in the long run. A shaper with a feeder can not be compared with a router table and featherboards, regardless of whether they are the same price. I see all of these ads online for cast iron router table tops, expensive lifts, etc. I have a cheap router table setup for some alternative stuff that I need to do occasionally but I prefer the shaper.

Brian, not trying to be a smart a** at all here so dont take this the wrong way but maybe some people just prefer a router over a shaper?? I know I do. Ive had both over the years and just dont like shapers for MY purposes. Mileage will vary of course but I see these posts all the time from folks asking about router tables and such. Then the shaper crowd chimes in with their confusion over why someone would want such a thing. Honestly, maybe we just do. Not trying to start a war here Brian, just wanted to rant I guess!!:D:D

Jim Becker
01-24-2009, 9:54 AM
Travis, build a router table to suit your needs...you're a woodworker!

Bill White
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
:)Gotta go along with the Becker man. I built my table from laminate sink cut-outs glued back-to-back, routed slots for the tracks, bought the plate kit from Lee Valley. I had a left over stand from an old Craftsman somethinorother. Built the fench with sliding faces and a duct collector.'I think I may have $100.00 in the whole shebang.
Bill

Dave Falkenstein
01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
In a word, Woodpeckers.

I agree - Woodpeckers. For plates, lifts, tops, fences and stands. Or build your own top and cabinet and buy a Woodpecker plate/lift and fence.

Pete Hay
01-24-2009, 6:41 PM
So I hear and understand.... many people say...you spend enough on a REALLY nice router/router table you might as well get a good shaper.

So, I already have a pc 7518 router.... lets say I have up to $700 to spend on a table what would you prefer?

I believe I'm thinking about moving away from the extension for my powermatic 64a because I actually have some room for a stand a long and I use my table a lot so I can see it being a pain for me.

Right now, I have the cheapie, ryobi router/router table bolted down to a movable cabinet that is good on height.... the thing shakes like crazy, the top is very narrow...frankly I honestly am half scared to use it half the time.

I've build two of "Norm's" router tables and found them to be both fun projects and absolutely 100% solid, safe, and functional. Plans & video are available on his site. Rockler carries the hardware & table inserts

Doug Rogers
01-25-2009, 12:52 AM
For an actual full size table you have to consider the Sommerfeld table. The table top is 36" x 27" and is made from three pieces of extruded aluminum, which bolt together. The fence is 48" x 4-3/4" and is also made of extruded aluminum. The fence also comes with a dust collector, a spring loaded pivot pin, two locking knobs and three zero clearance fence inserts. This is one solid heavy table. It also comes with plans to build your own customized cabinet.

My table is currently sitting on a cheap knock down stand. It is still sturdy enough to use until the cabinet is built. I will use the table to make my cabinet. The price is around $550. This will be my last router table. No ties to Sommerfeld just a happy customer!

Doug

Lewis Cobb
01-25-2009, 5:19 PM
For an actual full size table you have to consider the Sommerfeld table. The table top is 36" x 27" and is made from three pieces of extruded aluminum, which bolt together. The fence is 48" x 4-3/4" and is also made of extruded aluminum. The fence also comes with a dust collector, a spring loaded pivot pin, two locking knobs and three zero clearance fence inserts. This is one solid heavy table. It also comes with plans to build your own customized cabinet.

My table is currently sitting on a cheap knock down stand. It is still sturdy enough to use until the cabinet is built. I will use the table to make my cabinet. The price is around $550. This will be my last router table. No ties to Sommerfeld just a happy customer!

Doug

Doug - I like the placement of that biga** stop switch. I am envisioning making a fist and pounding it down on it each time I am done routing :D

Bryan Wuest
01-25-2009, 5:43 PM
I saw the Kreg PRS1040 Precision Router Table System at Woodcraft in San Antonio the other day and really liked the looks of it. If I were going to buy a router table, I'd probably go with the Kreg.

Chip Lindley
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Travis, This is AMERICA!! All the *bells n whistles* you can AFFORD! When you know what you NEED, you know what to BUY! Otherwise, you can spend a small fortune on every router table *thingie* that catches your eye. There are many hobbiests in woodworking who get more caught up as much (if not more) with the *paraphernalia* as they do working with wood. There is a happy medium somewhere UNLESS you have all the money and all the floorspace in the world!

What will you do with all that wasted table area on your TS, if you have a 30" to 50" fence on it? For many years I enjoyed a router table on the right side of my good ol' Rockwell Model 10 CS with stock JetLock fence. The RT fit exactly between the rails. Now I have a PM66 with 50" Bies. All that acreage would be going to waste if I didn't cut a hole and drop a router insert there! Free-standing router tables have their staunch following, but I had rather fill that floor space with a real shaper!

Don Bullock
01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Travis, thanks for asking the question. I'm trying to decide the same thing for my new shop. Unfortunately I don't have your budget so I'll have to do it as cheaply as possible. While I'd love to order a whole table set up from Incra or Woodpeckers, unless swayed by some fantastic sale I'm planning to build my own top next to my table saw. As Jim said, we're woodworkers. Yep, I'd rather build something else, but the money I save will pat for some wood I need for some projects that I need to build for our new house. Perhaps you could save some money as well by building your own table.