PDA

View Full Version : Major Gloat & Thank You! (long, with pics)

Roger Myers
01-23-2009, 6:35 PM
On Christmas Eve, thanks to Chris Brown at Quality Grinding and Keith here at Saw Mill Creek, I was the very lucky winner of a custom made precision ground table saw extension wing, fitted for, and including a Jess-Em Mast-R-Lift! :D

See related post:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99294

Well... Let me tell you... The great service started on December 24th with an e-mail from Chris...and it continued right through today!

A few measurements to Chris (who always responded quickly) and I started waiting for my new toys.... I didn't have to wait long! :D

Yesterday, the UPS driver left a very heavy package on the front porch.... Packaging was terrific and the extension wing looked great...

In addition, there was a message from Chris on my answering machine wanting to make sure everything arrived ok (how is that for customer service - and I'm not even a paying customer!) :)

Today, another package from UPS, this one containing the router lift... This arrived while I was off to my local Woodcraft to pick up the monster 7518 router to be installed in the lift (good timing as Porter Cable has a rebate on these at the moment)...

Back home it's time to assemble this to the table saw (an old but solid Delta contractors saw that served me well for almost 30 years)...

Assembly was a breeze.... fits like a glove to the saw, and the router lift is an absolutely perfect fit.... heck, the extension is bigger than the cast iron top of the saw...

I can't emphasize how great the fit and finish is on this table extension. When installed, I took my 3 foot straight edge across the table and extension and it was perfectly flat - no shims required, just bolt it tight!

I installed it on the left side of the saw as I think it will work best for me there... Loved that Chris machined slots for a fence as well....

Can't stop smiling and thanking Chris and Keith!! :)

So two big well deserved plugs here...
1) for Chris Brown and Quality Grinding: For a product that is well designed and crafted; For Customer Service and follow-up that was terrific; and for a great Free Stuff contribution to Saw Mill Creek!!
2) for Keith, Jackie, Aaron and the entire group of mods here at Saw Mill Creek... I've been around here since the beginning of the creek and can't say enough good things about this place!!

Of course without pics, it didn't happen...so here you go....

Roger

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 6:45 PM
It doesn't get much sweeter than that!

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 7:11 PM
very nice!!!!

Just curious, what model saw is that? and what are the dimensions of the wing?

Phil Thien
01-23-2009, 8:14 PM
Very nice. How much do these weigh?

Christopher Stahl
01-23-2009, 8:21 PM
That is an awesome extension wing. I'm very jealous. Enjoy!! :)

Vince Shriver
01-23-2009, 8:23 PM
Nice score! And thanks for posting. I will be calling Chris for a custom table in a month or so for my refurbishing job (old Clausing-DeWalt) T/S. I hope this generous gesture on his part pays off for him, I know he certainly got my attention and look forward to dealing with him. Congratulations on winning. Vince

Michael L. Martin
01-23-2009, 9:48 PM
I have that same saw. Man oh man......... that new extension will be 200% better than those stamped steel ones. Sweet.............!

Ted Shrader
01-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Roger -

That looks great installed and ready to ge. Very nice right-up and description. Congratulations on your win and enjoy.

Ted

Jim Kountz
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Man you guys keep it up with these wings from QG and you're going to end up costing me some money!! I love these things and if I didnt already have a router table setup I was happy with Id be all over one of these. HHmmmm Maybe I can go out and look at my RT long enough to find some things I hate about it??

Roger Myers
01-24-2009, 9:10 AM
very nice!!!!

Just curious, what model saw is that? and what are the dimensions of the wing?

John - That saw is a Delta 34-410 that must be between 25 and 30 years old... I bought it new and it has served me very well.
I have upgraded it over the years with the Bies fence and nice cross cut sleds...
The new extension wing is 16" wide and 27" front to back. Considering the cast iron table on the saw was only 20" by 27" I have almost doubled the ground surface of the table saw.

I have that same saw. Man oh man......... that new extension will be 200% better than those stamped steel ones. Sweet.............!

Michael, sure is sweet and a nice upgrade... the steel wings were never too much of an issue as I use a nice homemade cross cut sled for a lot of tasks on the saw..... but this extension wing is a very huge improvement.

Roger

Mike Heidrick
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Congrats Roger.

Is you saw tippy now? Seems like a LOT of weight on that left side.

Roger Myers
01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Congrats Roger.

Is you saw tippy now? Seems like a LOT of weight on that left side.

Not a bit.... I have the Bies fence..and the extension table on the right side... I was a bit concerned and wondered if I would need some legs under the extension wing, but everything is rock solid.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Again - very nice. You seem to have a "standard" size table (front/back 27"). My older delta is only 22.25", and while I'd love to get one of those, I'd hate to think I couldn't re-use it on another saw...

Bruce Page
01-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Roger, awesome setup! SMC & Quality Grinding both Rock!

If I hadn’t already bought the Bench Dog setup in '07 I’d be giving Chris Brown a call.

Roger Myers
01-24-2009, 5:15 PM
Very nice. How much do these weigh?

Phil.
I think the extension itself is about 70 pounds or so, plus add the weight of the router and lift (maybe another 2o pounds)...less than 100...but substantial.
Roger

Chris W Brown
01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Roger I hope you enjoy the ext wing and router lift, maybe it will be a nice addition to the shop. I think all guys like to get new tools. Thanks for the plugs and the pics, we take pride in our products, its important to do what you say your going to do. Customer service is not that hard but a lot of companys cant understand that aspect of the business. Most companys now just want to push their product but dont take care of the customer.

Again thanks to all you guys for your business we really appreciate each and every customer.

Thanks,
Chris Brown
Quality Grinding