PDA

View Full Version : Tool display case

Dave Anderson NH
06-28-2004, 10:54 PM
As many of yu know, I've been making and selling some hand tools, mostly awls and marking knives. I knew I had the Canterbury Shaker Village Wood Days Festival coming up this past weekend so I needed something which would look nicer than a piece of cloth laid on the old doors on saw horses we use for tables to display my wares. I had some scrap lacewood from some resawing I had done and a bit of left over mahogany cutoffs so used them for the case. It's amazing what some cutoffs and some scraps can turn into with a little work, some oil, shellac, and a bit of self adhesive green felt. Almost all of the work was done with hand tools.

Jeff Bishop
06-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Nice job Dave. How did the show go?

Dick Parr
06-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Beautiful job Dave!

Mark Singer
06-29-2004, 1:18 AM
Great Dave!

Tim Sproul
06-29-2004, 1:54 AM
sweet.

Nice job, Dave.

:cool:

Steve Wargo
06-29-2004, 6:16 AM
The C&W does a great job on nasty lacewood doesn't it? I purchased the 55 deg finish smoother some time ago and find that I don't use it much, but when I do, it is flawless. Nice work Dave.

Dave Anderson NH
06-29-2004, 6:46 AM
The show was all right, but not spectacular from a business standpoint due to a rainy Saturday morning which kept attendance down for the day. On the other hand, from an enjoyment standpoint, it was VERY good as it always is. I met a Creeker or two and a bunch of folks from Woodcentral, and it's always fun to see the folks who come every year to demonstrate and perform the music. There's always a lot of kidding and fooling around among the people who staff the event and a bit of raspberry is always added to the flavor to keep you on your toes.

Steve- I don't use my Clark and Williams 55 degree all that much either, but I agree. When nasty grain is present, nothing does quite as well or produces quite as nice a surface. It's worth every penny I spent on it a couple of years ago.

Alan Turner
06-29-2004, 8:41 AM
Dave,

As always, nice work. And I like the use of the traditional Shaker materials as well.

Will you be bringing stuff (and the display case) to the Grumbine picnic?

Alan

Roy Wall
06-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Dave,

Looks beautiful!!!

Is that a LN 4 1/2? Would it rival the C&W if it had a 50 degree frog - or is it a different animal all the way?????

Just wondering because I'm comptemplating a little LN set of: 60 1/2, 4 1/2 & the #7........

Thanks,

RW

Steve Wargo
06-29-2004, 11:51 AM
The LN with a 50deg frog is close, but they are two differnt animals. I have a LN 4 1/2 with a 50 frog and it works 99% of the time, but the C&W is really a finish smoother. It took me about a 10 minutes just to get it set right the first time. The mouth on mine is only 3 thou. so it barely removes anything at all. On Cocobolo it is unmatched in performance IMHO. I also like to use it to clean up veneered panels after sanding squeeze out. I'd be terrified of digging in to deep with a metal bodied plane and marring a veneered surface. If I had to chose only one, I'd buy the LN all over again.

Roy Wall
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the info..........

I'm taking a long hard gulp in shelling out $750 for three LN planes.........I hope after a few strokes I'll think its the best $$ I've ever spent!!!

Good points about the veneers.......A few wooden smoothers (later) would only add a nice touch - wouldn't it:)

(I may hold off on the #7, as I have a Record #7......but I know I'll want a little LN collection and prices will only go higher.......)

Roy

Steve Wargo
06-29-2004, 12:13 PM
When I first started working I had a Clifton 4, Union 5, record 6, Clifton #7, dunlap #8, and a few block planes. I first used an LN 4 1/2 and realized, that the tool might not make a difference, but if you feel good using it, your more apt to use it correctly. By this I mean, I find myself finishing all surfaces with a smoothing plane now instead of just busting out the P.C. Sander. Not only because I like the way it looks (and actually took the time to learn how to properly sharpen) but because it pleases me to use these tools. I used to think that why spend $100 + more for a LN when I could by a Clifton that worked just as well. Well, then don't. Period. I've not purchased a LN plane that required more than honing of the iron. Now I have more than a few. The same goes for their saws. I have 4 of those as well. It's nice to see an American tool company that actually puts effort into the production of a quality product. Even if it costs more. (step down from soap box.)

Dave Anderson NH
06-29-2004, 5:17 PM
Alan- Yes, I will be bringing the display and some of my tools for sale to Bill Grumbine's picnic though that's not my primary purpose for going. I just want to renew old acquanitiances and meet more of the folks I've met on the net over the years.

Roy- I had the standard 45 degree frog in the LN 4 1/2 in that picture. I also have the 50 degree frog for it and trade them out as needed. Overall though its a pain in the posterior to make the changeover so I just ordered a Steve Knight smoother with the blade set at 50 degrees. ( a not so stealthy gloat). I had temporary custody of one of his smoothers and his razee jointer last year and was VERY VERY impressed with the quality and performance. It also doesn't hurt that his prices are so reasonable.

Jim Becker
06-29-2004, 5:46 PM
Dave, I'm glad you're coming south for the picnic...undoubtedly many of us will benefit from your knowledge and work! Your display is really nice and great for the purpose.