PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback - Delta 28-206 1HP 14" bandsaw

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 3:17 PM
Hi everyone -

I have a chance to pick one of these up from a relative. Very lightly used, and the price is "negotiable".

Anyone have any recent input/feedback on this saw? I searched and found a lot of posts from a few years back but nothing recent.

I'd like to have something for 'small job' uses (cutting templates, small stock, etc) but also something I could use for resawing (nothing big - not like I'm going to resaw 20" thick white oak!!).

Thoughts/opinions/feedback?

Sue Wise
01-23-2009, 4:39 PM
I have a 28-275 with 3/4 hp, and I love mine. I have had mine for more than 10 years. I put a set of cool blocks in it and it runs great. If you can get a good price, I would say you will have a very good bandsaw.

Wade Lippman
01-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I was real disappointed with mine. Lots of vibration and it sure didn't feel like 1hp.

Still, if you can get a good buy on it used you can probably sell it for the same price later on.

Rick Thom
01-24-2009, 4:25 AM
Hi everyone -

I have a chance to pick one of these up from a relative. Very lightly used, and the price is "negotiable".

Anyone have any recent input/feedback on this saw? I searched and found a lot of posts from a few years back but nothing recent.

I'd like to have something for 'small job' uses (cutting templates, small stock, etc) but also something I could use for resawing (nothing big - not like I'm going to resaw 20" thick white oak!!).

Thoughts/opinions/feedback?
I've had one for @4 years, equipped with the riser block and Delta fence. It has performed well. It stays in adjustment, no drift at all, cuts thin veneers accurately, resaws to 12" but you've got to be patient with the feed rate on very hard wood. To get it to perform you must use good quality, sharp blades of the proper design and well tensioned. I use my Wixey angle gauge to ensure it's set to the proper angle, but no problems with staying in adjustment once it's set. I would like better dust control. The single 4" port isn't very effective but I can live with that, and there are shop-built work-arounds to add another port.

James Williams 007
01-24-2009, 1:44 PM
I have the older model with 3/4 horse motor and a riser block and I've re sawed 10" cherry. I'll keep this saw forever and get a bigger 20" or so when I can afford it.:rolleyes:

Fred Ellerbeck
01-24-2009, 6:40 PM
I have the 28-206 and love it. I've had it about 5 years. There was a problem with some of the lower guide block assenblies. Too loose. I got a replacement from Delta and no problems since.

John Even
01-24-2009, 6:53 PM
Any Ideas on DC hookup on that saw does Delta have a hookup.
Thanks
John

paul dyar
01-24-2009, 10:16 PM
This is the way mine is hooked up.

Paul

Chip Lindley
01-25-2009, 1:40 AM
The Delta/Rockwell/Milwaukee 14" bandsaw has not basically changed in over 60 years. Mine is 28-243 New in 1986. With 1/2hp it was a bit underpowered, but with 3/4hp it resaws like a champ. If yours is a *real* 1hp motor (12A or more / 120v) you have plenty of power!

I put a power-twist link belt on mine and the bad vibration was gone. Cool blocks help, but Carter upper guides Really Help! Resawing veneers 6in. or less has been plenty for me, but take your time! The saw is a keeper!!

Rick Thom
01-25-2009, 4:56 AM
Any Ideas on DC hookup on that saw does Delta have a hookup.
Thanks
John
John, there is a 4" diameter port that is cast into the frame of the saw basically on the opposite side of the saw from where Paul has his hose connected. I have yet to determine if the factory port collects any dust at all. The extra port similar to that Paul shows is common, as well as another 'funnel' shaped collector under the table. I think Jim Becker's site has a plan for the front hook-up. At any rate, this problem isn't unique to Delta.

David G Baker
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I have a 12" Delta that is an okay saw but Delta no longer supports it. There are a few items that need replaced that I can't fix but are not critical to the saws operation. This lack of support has made me very cautious about buying newer Delta products. The older heavier duty Delta products are so well made that they do not need repaired very often.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-25-2009, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. First order of business is to see if I can fit it in my shop....next step is to "negotiate" on the price :)