PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's Apartment in Italy

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2009, 2:49 PM
Some may remember about my daughter's wedding in September, then they moved to Italy. She has sent pictures of their apartment. They are on the 4th floor. Shown are the outside, the view from their windows, and the hand-peeled log ceiling in the bedroom. On clear days they can see the island of Capri and the Sorrento Peninsula. The biggest complaints so far are no places that sell coffee drinks to go, everyone sits and drinks it there, and the lack of Mexican Restaurants. They found one and tried it but while the food names and appearance looked good, it tasted like Italian food in tortillas.

If anyone knows a good Mexican place near Naples let me know!

She'll be here to visit next month, we're looking forward to it. Yes, she wants to go out for Mexican on the way back from the airport.

David G Baker
01-23-2009, 3:24 PM
Joe,
Your daughter is in Italy and wants Mexican food????? Some of the best food in the world is in Italy.
I lived in California too long and love Mexican food as well. I am lucky, here in Mid Michigan there are a few very good Mexican restaurants.

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2009, 3:44 PM
Joe,
Your daughter is in Italy and wants Mexican food????? Some of the best food in the world is in Italy.
I lived in California too long and love Mexican food as well. I am lucky, here in Mid Michigan there are a few very good Mexican restaurants.
We lived in CA too, until she was 13, and even here in Seattle area we have great Mexican food. She does love Italian food too, but has gotten tired of pizza and pasta, since they had to eat out for over two months until they finally got the apartment.

whit richardson
01-23-2009, 3:57 PM
Well when in Rome.....

Give her a year or two and they'll have slowed down and relaxed like the Italians instead of us rush rush Americans.

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2009, 4:08 PM
Well when in Rome.....

Give her a year or two and they'll have slowed down and relaxed like the Italians instead of us rush rush Americans.
They won't be there that long, but she already enjoys the pace there. She's doing some online consulting from home, taking Italian classes, and doing a lot of road trips on weekends. So far she's made friends with some of the other wifes of employees and of the military stationed there.

Our son in law is working for a U.S. company so he has to keep his nose to the grindstone.

Lee Schierer
01-23-2009, 4:22 PM
One of the biggest mistakes Americans make is going to other countriues and expecting to eat and live like they do here. Get out try the local food and eat where the locals do not the tourist places. You'll be amazed at the great things you'll get to eat. Yes, you'll have a meal you don't like now and then, but you'll have manymore great ones if you try something new. Each reagon has different specialty dishes. Go see the country and enjoy it. There's more to italian food than pizza (which I think is actually an American food) and pasta. They eat lots of seafood, beef and lamb as well.

Above all be polite and don't be an ugly American. Learn teh language and use it to the best of your ability. It is their country and you are a guest, behave like a polite guest.

David G Baker
01-23-2009, 5:24 PM
Lee,
Your post sounds very similar to what us GIs were told when we got off the ship when we arrived in Germany back in 1963. Guess Uncle Sam didn't want us guys to appear as the gum chewing American stereotype. We also heard the speech about us bringing ours wives with us about them appearing as hair curler wearing, nagging bathrobe wearing housewives. I spent two years there and didn't pick up any German swear words or naughty expressions.

Belinda Barfield
01-23-2009, 5:37 PM
Thanks for sharing Joe. I really like that ceiling. Sure beats the heck out of the sprayed texture I stare at in the wee hours of the morning.

Jerry Bruette
01-23-2009, 8:24 PM
Joe,

Your daughter is fortunate to be spending some time in a very beautiful country.

LOML and I spent our 25th Anniversary in Southern Italy and Sicily. Tell your daughter and SIL to take a trip to Taormina, Sicily. One of the most beautiful cities we've seen. She should also enjoy some Limoncello made with those giant Sorrento lemons.

Wish I was back there.:)

Jerry

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Joe,

Your daughter is fortunate to be spending some time in a very beautiful country.

LOML and I spent our 25th Anniversary in Southern Italy and Sicily. Tell your daughter and SIL to take a trip to Taormina, Sicily. One of the most beautiful cities we've seen. She should also enjoy some Limoncello made with those giant Sorrento lemons.

Wish I was back there.:)

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry, I'll pass it on.

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I spent 4 years in Italy (near Pisa and Livorno). Took me a while to get used to real Italian food, but I preferred it after a while over Americanized Italian food. The best time to go to Italy is during Non-Tourist season. Prices are cheaper (or they were when I was there) and get out and see the sites.

Pisa, Florence, Venice, Elba Island (where Napoleon was exiled)(beautiful place BTW), Rome, Naples, Sicily, Bolognia, then ease on up to the Austrian border and have a look-see. :)

We used to go swimmin in the Med in the morning hours, come back, eat lunch, and load up and head to the mountains for some snow skiing during the afternoon.

Beautiful place they have there. I really enjoyed the slower pace of life there and not a single place to eat had a "drive through". All were a come in and sit down kind of place and no ice for drinks. All were room temp. Man I sure miss Italy. :D

Bob Rufener
01-24-2009, 8:18 AM
What a great opportunity for you to do a little traveling yourself. It has been many years since I visited Italy. The history there is incredible. Pompei is not a long train ride from Naples and is fascinating. One could spend weeks in Rome alone. My most vivid memory of Naples was the fish market. Wooden barrels with fish and lots of eels-one of which was slithering along the pavement. Consider it! You'll never regret it and, by the time you get there, your daughter will probably have learned a lot of Italian which will be helpful to learn what is on the menus. I relegated myself to what I could interpret from the menu=pizza con fungi.