PDA

View Full Version : Engravable polymer, what is it?

Dave Johnson29
01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi All,

I just received samples of the no-smell rubber stamp material and will test it out today. They also included some laser-able polymer.

[EDIT]
OK, just reading the invoice, it is Photopolymer.
[\EDIT]

It is clear and about 1/8" thick. What is it used for?

If it is for stamps, what's the difference and why use one over the other?

Thanks

Richard Rumancik
01-23-2009, 11:26 PM
I would guess that they have supplied an uncured photopolymer resin in sheet form.

To make a stamp from photopolymer sheet you need to expose it with a film image. The film will be black with clear lines where you want the ink to transfer. When you expose the photopolymer to a special UV light, the clear areas will pass the light and cure the polymer. Uncured areas get washed away.

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 7:20 AM
I would guess that they have supplied an uncured photopolymer resin in sheet form.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comment, but I wonder why they call it "Laserable?"

I have emailed the company and asked how to use it so will add any further information to this thread when I get it.

When I asked for samples, I thought I would be getting low-odor stamp material. Maybe it is, but the "photo" part of the description throws me. To add to the mystery, it is clear as well.

Darryl Hazen
01-24-2009, 10:27 AM
If it's green in color and came from Millennium Marking, it's laserable just like the rubber sample you received. It should have a shiny backing to it. Place it in the engraver backing side down and reverse laser. Wash it off with soapy water. You do not need to expose it to black light like uncured polymer.

Rodne Gold
01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
does it laser quicker and easier than the rubber?

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
If it's green in color and came from Millennium Marking

Hi Darry,

It is not and it did. :)

It is translucent and almost clear. It has a slick firm film like PVC on one side and the other side feels like the sticky silicone squeezy toys.

In the pic the no-odor rubber is on the bottom.

Richard Rumancik
01-24-2009, 11:02 AM
. . .Thanks for the comment, but I wonder why they call it "Laserable?" I thought I would be getting low-odor stamp material. Maybe it is, but the "photo" part of the description throws me. To add to the mystery, it is clear as well.

Okay . . . if they are calling the photopolymer laserable, then another possibility is that they have already cured the photopolymer, basically making it into another "rubber" (polymer). Some people have discovered that photopolymer rubber lasers well (and might not smell as bad as conventional rubbers.) In this case you are not really using the photopolymer properties, just treating it as another material that can be lasered into rubber stamps. Photopolymer resin is often clear but can be tinted translucent colors as well.

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
In this case you are not really using the photopolymer properties, just treating it as another material that can be lasered into rubber stamps.

Hi Richard,

That might make sense as the slick top surface may be intended for gluing to the holder for the finished stamp. It is about 1/8" thick, the same as the no-odor stuff.

Before I tear into it, I will wait on word from Millennium but I think you may be on the right track.

Darryl Hazen
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
does it laser quicker and easier than the rubber?

It seems to laser at about the same rate as rubber. It's hard to tell because the stamps we've done have been approx 1" x 3" in size.

Dave, If the number on the sleeve says ML-80400, it's the same as the green we received. Not sure why they've changed colors.

I would suggest trying a small stamp using the settings your laser recommends for rubber stamps and then tweak the settings as needed.

I would also recommend cutting out the stamp with scissors or an X-acto rather than cutting it with the laser beam. The film backing can be peeled off after lasering. It appears to be there only for support during lasering.

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I've been using the laser polymer for 1 1/2 years now, have not had any problems.
I use the the one from JMP, the only thing is to wash it fairly soon after finishing. Laser the sticky side after you peel of the protective film.

I run it in the mix of all my other products. No special clean-up needed. It kinda melts, there is no dust, and I have yet to really smell it. Wood smells more.

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Dave, If the number on the sleeve says ML-80400, it's the same as the green we received. Not sure why they've changed colors.

Thanks Darryl and Paul,

I only have a sample but the invoice shows ML-80400 for it. I cannot seem to peel anything off but will try a little more enthusiastically with both of you advising it is doable. :):)

Thanks guys. Mystery solved.

Darryl Hazen
01-24-2009, 1:21 PM
The backing is kind of hard to get started when trying to peel it off. We do not peel the backing off and engrave as Paul does. We engrave the bare surface, cut out, then peel the backing and apply that surface to the stamp handle or stamping mechanism.

Dave Johnson29
01-24-2009, 7:14 PM
The backing is kind of hard to get started when trying to peel it off.

:):)It's official the backing is NOT meant to come off this stuff. I kept at it until it pulled the body of the stuff apart. I carefully sliced under the backing with a very sharp craft knife, to separate a small section of the backing. I grabbed that with pliers and it tore chunks out of the substrate.

Also it lasers to a soft sticky mess that does not reset but stays a thick sticky liquid.

Curious stuff. I suspect this is not my niche! :eek:

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:10 PM
The plastic on the back (and yup it's supposed to be on the back of a finished stamp) is a stabilizing material, IT DOES NOT COME OFF..
It's there, because polymer is very soft, and it would literally creep across the surface of the stamp over time if it was not there. It's laserable polymer because you can laser it, no other reason. There is no difference between this polymer and ordinary stamp polymer for making photo polymer stamps.. I make my own polymer sheets for laser engraving stamps, as well as making the usual photopolymer stamps. Once you have a negative and your making many stamps the same, you would not laser them, it's too slow. If you were making LOTS of stamps the same, you would use vulcanized rubber (in a vulcanizing machine not a laser), it's way faster. Thats why the mass produced artstamps you see are almost always made from rubber.. Polymer lasers twice as fast as rubber, has no blowing rubber powder in your machine, and can be washed off with plain running water after lasering.. But, you can only use them with water based inks. Alc. basic inks, and inks for 'pre-inked' stamps used in error, will eat them..

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Backing vs film on top are two different things. The polymer from JMP has what they call a sticky side with a very thin film on top. This is the laser side of the JMP product.
The thicker, or slick side is the backing and the stable side that goes against the stamper.

Other than that, they sound like they are about the same.
It does cost more, and I do not know about it's life.
Artist like it because they can see through it to postion it exactly where they want it, just mount it on a piece of clear plexiglass for them.
It works OK for the few stamps I make, mostly novilty stamps.

Like the lady that took her dog and a stamp pad to make a print of his paw.
I then made a self inking stamp of this so the dog could stamp all her letters and christmas cards.

Dave Johnson29
01-25-2009, 5:32 PM
Backing vs film on top are two different things.

Thanks Paul,

I don't think rubber stamps is my niche. :D Glad I tried though.

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-03-2009, 5:00 AM
I just wanted to find out where you bought the clear polymer sheet?
Making stamps is my favorite thing to do and I would love to try the clear.
Thanks so much in advance,
Syl

Bill Cunningham
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Most stamp polymer is clear.. or fairly clear (not glass like).. The backing sheets I use are from Millinium, and are a amber colour, so the engraved polymer die is also a amber colour. When i was using polymer from Stewart Superiour they had clear backing sheets (looked like laser printer transparencies) so my stamp dies were clear (well, actually no colour, you could not see through them)

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-04-2009, 4:23 AM
Wow, I had never seen them clear like that.
I find it not very cost effective so I just stick with red laser rubber.
But I love to make stamps so one of these days I have to come up with a better way.
Syl

Bill Cunningham
03-05-2009, 7:58 PM
"Red" Laser Rubber???? Hmmm All I have ever seen is Grey laser rubber.. The raw rubber I get for vulcanizing stamp dies is red, but it's not much good on the laser.. I just keep a roll in the freezer, for those odd jobs that need larger numbers of 'real rubber' stamp dies that would not be cost effective to laser..

Sylvia Feller-Dow
03-06-2009, 5:09 AM
Red is better for me due to it smelling nicer than the grey kind and the actual engraving is nicer with less dust. The cost is the same. I mostly make art stamps-designing and production, but the designing part is more my cup of tea.
Syl