PDA

View Full Version : Latest project (PICS)

Jim Taylor
06-28-2004, 9:50 PM
Hi Folks,

Thought I would post some pictures...

SWMBO notified me last Monday that I had two weeks to make a replacement for our traveling vans TV/VCR. We have a vacation coming up 2nd week of July, I drive my parents to the vacation spot, and the TV/VCR provides many free hours of quiet driving!

Anyway, this is what we had, and my replacement. A couple of firsts for me...

The table top is 11 1/2 inches wide, and my jointer is only 8. I ran one side through band saw, then used that as a guide for the second side. Both surfaces ended up parallel, and a couple of passes through the planer and everything was perfect... until the next day and the board cupped, straigtend it out a bit, but never got it back to perfect.

First Time that I hand cut my dovetails. Need new, sharper chisels...

and, I put in diagonal pegs on my table tenons... (wonder where I got that idea).

Lastly, even though I was rushed (concept to completed in 10 hours shop time), I could not help to mix in a bit of color. The main table is poplar, the front a bit of curly oak, and the hold-down a bit of walnut, all finished in a danish oil. Should be interesting to see how this holds up inside a car (with the thermal extremes... I probably will need to be careful and take it out whenever possible).

One last thing... I have reached a whole new low in completing my projects. The hold-down screw in the bottom was stolen from my daughters toy chest. I rationalized it away as "it will be a good way for her to see how these mechanics are applied", and "she will get a kick out of knowing it is there". Well the first response I got was "no, NO Da-Da". I feel shame :o

Todd Burch
06-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Great job Jim. Although, "borrowing" from your daughter's toy box might be considered a "faux paux" in some circles, we woodworkers, well... we just stick together like old glue. So, three cheers for Jim!! HIP HIP, HOORAY! RIP OFF, I mean HIP HIP, HOORAY! HIP HIP, HOORAY!!

You know, if you are a smooth talker, and you just might be considering above said behavior :), you could use this as an excuse to purchase the Beall wood threading system, and a trim router to go with it, just in case Santa wanted to replace that screw clamp thingy.