PDA

View Full Version : Lawn swing

jim barter
06-28-2004, 9:21 PM
I'm hoping some one can help me.My wife wants a lawn swing.You know the type where you sit facing each other( that could be bad at times) however I need a plan where it is large enough for two on each side.Would like to have a good detail of how the swing mechanism will work at the top. I think some type of bearing or perhaps a pipe inside a pipe. She wants the type with the structure at the top as I was planning on putting cedar 2x4's across. I'm planing to make it out of cedar. I also think screws instaed of nails Any help would be most appreciated.
Jim :confused:

Terry Quiram
06-29-2004, 7:07 AM
Jim

My brother and I made one for our parents a couple of years ago. The swing pivot is nothing more that a piece of steel bent in a "U" shape and bolted thru the seat uprights. It has a threaded rod through a black iron pipe as the cross member. The seats simply hang from the pipe. Yes use screws instead of nails. I will check to see if I can find my plans to get you an address. Ours seated 4.

Terry

Greg Heppeard
06-29-2004, 9:13 AM
I remember Norm building one a few years back. You might be able to get the plans somewhere. As I remember, it was built pretty well and was large enough for 4. For the hinge points, it used pipe and eye bolts.

Carl Eyman
06-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Try this address for a picture of Norm's version. If I were making one, I believe the $10 for the plans is money well spent. http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?310

Greg Heppeard
06-29-2004, 9:53 PM
Carl,

THAT'S THE ONE ! ! ! Thanks Bud :D