PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Heaven

Berl Mendenhall
01-23-2009, 7:48 AM
This is to Harry, Wilbur, and all the rest. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying the workbench build up threads. I've always been a bench junkie, I'd rather look at a bench than a fine piece of furniture. I visited the Winterture Museum in Delaware several years ago just to see the Dominy exhibit with those massive benches. I already had the book "With Hammer In Hand", so I knew what was in the exhibit (every piece). I knew way more than the tour guide about the exhibit, so they let me actually go in the room and look around. Not sure they should have done that, but it was the thrill of the whole vacation. Just being in that room with all those great tools, benches, and great wheel lathe was all inspiring and humbling. I'll never forget that feeling. It was almost like stepping back into the 18th century. This may sound corny to some but I'm sure there are some here who feel exactly the same as I do about these things. Anyway thanks for all the pictures and explanations.
Later

Berl

harry strasil
01-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Your Welcome, and Thanks for the Compliment. That's what SMC is all about, people helping people.

Jim Koepke
01-24-2009, 2:00 AM
This may sound corny to some but I'm sure there are some here who feel exactly the same as I do about these things.

Yep, but not sure that it's corny. Appreciation for the works of the past helps us to learn and build in to the future.

jim

Wilbur Pan
01-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the comment, Berl!

I need to visit Winterthur sometime myself.

Zahid Naqvi
01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I am starting to think all the ww'ing fun stuff is in the NorthEast. That sounds like a really enjoyable visit you had.