PDA

View Full Version : Need a 4H project for my nephew

Leigh Betsch
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
My 13 yr old nephew would like to build a wood working project for his 4H project. He said he would like to build a coffee table for his mom. He lives about 175 miles away so it would be best if he/we could get everything machined up in a weekend and he could take it home to sand, come back and glue it up, then take it home again to do a simple finish. I'm thinking that we would make 2 projects both the same. I would get the machines set up on my project and he could follow behind and do his.
So my question is do any of you have a suggested project/plan for a coffee table or maybe a hall table that would be simple and quick to build? Is this a reasonable approach to teach an apprentice? I realize he wont get a lot of the fundamentals but I think he has the bug already and this project might lock him into the fold. Then we can get him to start collecting chisels and hand planes!

Mike Heidrick
01-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Do you have a Kreg Jig? Just saw a plan on kreg's site for a coffee table that used pre made legs. Kreg up the aprons to the legs, attach a kreg joined table top. Easy, knocks down well, he can reassemble for his mom if he wants.

http://www.kregtool.com/plansdownload/download.php?file_id=7&user_id=5078

Gary Breckenridge
01-23-2009, 12:34 AM
It sounds good. Check Rockler or Woodcraft for kerf mount corner brackets for table aprons. They will make table assembly much easier. I would also suggest a gift of a quality tool for each project completed.:cool:

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2009, 8:03 AM
thanks for the link. Looks like it would be quick and easy, not sure I like the legs but it is an option. Any more ideas?

Mike Heidrick
01-24-2009, 3:15 AM
Make your own legs. Maybe do a Wide tapered leg (same diameter as the post leg in the plan) on the tablesaw with the taper being the last few inches. Maybe make it short so it fits his room? That or make it so he will use it in 4-5 years when he goes away to college maybe. Lots of college kids need coffee tables.