PDA

View Full Version : Convertable scrollsaw patterns

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't know if I originally got this here, from someone elses post, or found it someplace else.. But it's worth a look
http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/
sign up, and you will get a scrollsaw pattern or two every day.. All are instantly converted to vector for laser cutting by the Centerline trace in corel.. The fellow that runs this has a amazing number of free patterns in .pdf format for download.. I can not find a 'use' notice on his site, so have no idea of whether you can sell things made from his patterns or not, but if I did, I would certainly see he got a royalty/donation for anything I did sell.. This is the best source I have seen for easily converted patterns..
This is not a advertisement for that site, I do not know the man, or have any connection to him, just a sense of giving credit where credit is due..

Steve Clarkson
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
I LOVE this guy's site! And I have learned soooo much from it. You have to check out his Corel videos.....he does a GREAT job. As a matter of fact, I just e-mailed him a thank you note this morning.

I'm attaching a picture of a project I did last weekend. It was for a camp for children with terminal illnesses.....thus the word "COURAGE". I'm also attaching a copy of the cdr so you can see how I did it.

I plan to make alot of these types of signs.

Robert Rosensteel
01-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Hey Creekers need some help on how to use the download. I have it saved on my desktop and I am using corel 12. How do you get the file to work in corel. Thanks Robert

James Jaragosky
01-23-2009, 2:15 AM
Hey Creekers need some help on how to use the download. I have it saved on my desktop and I am using corel 12. How do you get the file to work in corel. Thanks Robert
You may need it converted to Corel 12
I have x3 with x4 coming next week
I do not think I can save it to a earlier format, but some people that use this site have saved all their old Corel versions and can convert it for you if you ask.
I post all my art as Dxf for this reason.

Steve Clarkson
01-23-2009, 6:37 AM
Sorry! I keep forgetting.....I just changed it to v10. Try again Robert.

Robert Rosensteel
01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi James and Steve. What I am asking is can you take a name from the scroll saw program and import it to Corel or do you have to print it and than scan it in?

Steve Clarkson
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi James and Steve. What I am asking is can you take a name from the scroll saw program and import it to Corel or do you have to print it and than scan it in?

This guys files are pdf's that are easily imported into Corel. There is no program, per se. But if you watch the guys videos, he shows you how to create your own.....especially names. It's quite easy.

Dave Johnson29
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm attaching a picture of a project I did last weekend. It was for a camp for children with terminal illnesses.

Hey Steve,

For a guy who only just took delivery of your laser a few weeks back, I have to say you have hit the ground running.

Your stuff looks good and you are racking up customers. Well done dude! You are an inspiration for newcomers.

Steve Clarkson
01-23-2009, 1:10 PM
Nope.....no paying customers yet! That was just a donation.

Oh......and feel free to add the pic to your website....LOL!!!!!!

Dave Johnson29
01-23-2009, 1:14 PM
Oh......and feel free to add the pic to your website....LOL!!!!!!

OUCH!

Harrumph!

James Jaragosky
01-23-2009, 1:36 PM
Sorry! I keep forgetting.....I just changed it to v10. Try again Robert.

Steve did you use x4 to save it in a v10 format?
If so would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to how this is done?

Steve Clarkson
01-23-2009, 1:51 PM
use x4 to save it in a v10 format

James, while the file is open in x4.....click on File|Save As and then when the Save As dialog box opens, near the bottom there is a box that should say "version 14".....just click on the selector button and it should give you the option to save in any version of Corel all the way back to v7.

Ruben Salcedo
01-23-2009, 2:23 PM
Bill, thank you for sharing this wonderful site,
you said "I can not find a 'use' notice on his site" well I find this...
"Please feel free to take all the free patterns you want. You may make as many projects from these patterns as you like. You can sell the projects. All I ask is that you do not sell the patterns. If you wish to redistribute the patterns please ask my permission. If you enjoy the pattern and The Scrollsaw Workshop please consider a donation. You may donate securely through the Paypal link below." you can see it in the following link
http://www.stevedgood.com/web/catalog.html

Ruben

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 8:29 PM
From what I read, Steve Good does all his designing in Corel, so my guess is you could just import the .pdf into Corel, and you will have the vector you need for cutting.. Just ignore any missing fonts, thier not really important, just use the default font that comes up.. I have not done any of his stuff yet, no time to play recently..

Jack Harper
01-24-2009, 9:24 PM
From what I read, Steve Good does all his designing in Corel, so my guess is you could just import the .pdf into Corel, and you will have the vector you need for cutting.. Just ignore any missing fonts, thier not really important, just use the default font that comes up.. I have not done any of his stuff yet, no time to play recently..

Your right Bill, I opened one of his drawings in Illustrator and it was a vector.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:51 PM
Well, thats good to know... Saves a whole bunch of time..

James Jaragosky
01-25-2009, 2:52 PM
James, while the file is open in x4.....click on File|Save As and then when the Save As dialog box opens, near the bottom there is a box that should say "version 14".....just click on the selector button and it should give you the option to save in any version of Corel all the way back to v7.
Thanks for the tip.

Larry Bratton
01-25-2009, 3:59 PM
I have been receiving Steve's free patterns by e-mail since I read this post a few weeks ago. I cut the design of the shelf with the reindeer and Happy Holidays out of LG HiMacs solid surface and painted in the colors. My wife hung it in the kitchen for the holidays. I get a free pattern via e-mail every day..that's what I call dedication on his part. Great work too.