PDA

View Full Version : Skew Question

Richard Madison
01-22-2009, 9:34 PM
Having ground my inexpensive skew into a curved scraper many years ago, am now considering purchase of one of Doug's skews. So the question is, if you could have only one skew from now on, which width would you choose for a variety of work? Given, that a small one might be best for pens and finials, which is acceptable for both large and small stuff if you could have only one? Thanks for your expertise and help.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2009, 9:46 PM
Richard,

I use 3 skews...a 3/4" straight Robert Larson, a 5/8" curved Lacer and a 1 1/4" curved Lacer. The Lacers are thick..have more mass.

I am one of those who have practiced enough with a skew that it is probably my favorite tool.

I've only been using the Lacers since September. I like them.

I've been using the Robert Larson 3/4" straight skew for 2 1/2 years. It's the one I learned with and it's still my favorite but....the other two are creeping up on it.

The Lacers have more mass. They come in handy when turning square stock to round.

I use the Wolverine jig system and can grind my straight skew extremely fast. I hand grind the Lacers and that takes a little longer.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Pick a favorite..my Larson but that's a little like asking me to pick a favorite of my 3 children...I love all 3 of my children....I like all 3 of my skews.

David Drickhamer
01-22-2009, 9:49 PM
I use skews in size from 3/8" to 1 1/4". It all depends what your using it for and what you feel comfortable with. If I was to choose only one I think I'd go right in the middle and get a 3/4". What the heck, get them all. :D

Ryan Baker
01-22-2009, 10:32 PM
If I could only have one, i'd pick the 1-1/4" Lacer (if I could get myself to shell out that much cash). A big skew will work on large and small work. A medium or small skew only works well on small work.

Scott Conners
01-23-2009, 9:57 AM
I reach for my 1 1/4" Thompson skew more than any other. I rarely ever find it too large for what I use it for, and the size is often very handy.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I reach for my 1 1/4" Lacer or 1 1/4" Thompson skew 90% of the time.

Richard Madison
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys! Sounds like the 1" or 1-1/4" might be the size I want. Appreciate your help.

David Walser
01-23-2009, 3:01 PM
Thanks guys! Sounds like the 1" or 1-1/4" might be the size I want. Appreciate your help.

Richard, your conclusion is only valid if you turn the same types of things these turners turn. As a general rule, larger is better. But, there are some places a large skew simply will not fit. Then, your only option is a smaller skew (or, perhaps, a detail gouge). You can use a 1/2" skew to plane down a 4" diameter spindle. A larger skew would be better, but the 1/2" would work just fine. On the other hand, there are plenty of times in my own turning that my larger skew will not fit into the space available.

Think of it this way: for most of the coves I turn, I use my 3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouge. Some coves are too small for these gouges to fit into. That's when I reach for my 1/4" spindle gouge. The 1/4" gouge does not get used as often as the others, but for some things, it's essential.

Thus, if I could only have one skew, I'd give up the larger one. That's true even though I use my larger skew about 70% of the time.

HTH

Richard Madison
01-23-2009, 5:34 PM
Thanks David. Your comment that you use a larger skew 70% of the time supports my inclination to buy a 1" size. I have some small home made tools with HSS tool bits that work well for little stuff. Had never noticed before, but one of them is actually ground like a 1/8" skew. May have even used it in that fashion without noticing.

Purchase not yet approved by the Chief, so it may be a while. Hope they are still in stock whenever.

Gordon Seto
01-23-2009, 6:33 PM
Alan Lacer usually starts his demo with turning a mini micro spinning tops with his large skew. It is possible to turn small turning with a large skew.
But it may not be the best choice. I have both of his skews. I don't find them comfortable to use for small turnings. The handles are too long, and the steel are too thick. They prevent me from standing up close to see clearly. When I swing the handle, my body is always in the way. I have to change hand and body position to finish a tiny detail. The thick steel and curve edge block my view also. They are excellent for doing pommel cut, roughing a square spindle and planning cut; but not for details.
What size skew fits you depends on what you mostly turn. If you turn a lot of bed posts and columns, the large Lacer is your better choice because it is thicker. Except the A-11 steel from Thompson would hold the edge better.

Curt Fuller
01-23-2009, 7:42 PM
Richard, I like my 1" skew for larger work. But for small stuff, ornaments and finials, I use one I made from a piece of 1/4" drill rod from Enco Steel Products. It's just a round steel rod ground on both sides. It really works well and cost all of about 10 bucks or les to make. Like others have said you can do a lot with a big skew. But you can do more if you have a big one and a small one.

Richard Madison
01-23-2009, 8:31 PM
Good thought Curt. It should be easy enough to grind a skew from one of my 1/4" or 3/8" tool bits, to fit existing tool holder and handle. Will give that a try when finished with current project.