PDA

View Full Version : ScrollSaw Recommendations?

Aaron Poindexter
01-22-2009, 9:03 PM
Looking for a good saw around $200. Just bought a Skill for $100 & am unhappy with it. Occasional use.

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 1:02 AM
Aaron,
Unless you find one heck of a deal on CL or somewhere else you are not going to get a good scrollsaw for $200.

Expect to spend at least twice that to get a good one.

Porter Bassett
01-23-2009, 1:52 AM
Over and over again you'll find people raving about the DeWalt 788, which is about twice as much as you're looking to spend.

Alex Shanku
01-23-2009, 8:37 AM
I just picked up a boice crane 24" scroll saw for $25. Sold for 1600 bucks in the 80's

Rob Calkins
01-23-2009, 8:55 AM
Look on Craigs list for an older Delta 440. I picked one up for $75. They do not make them like this any more. Lots of iron and made to last.

Rob

jason lambert
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a delta not to happ with it, in fact if I have a chance to sell it I will. Everyting is good about it just vibrates to much.

Brian W Evans
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a DW788 that I picked up on CL for about $300, including stand and light. I believe I recently saw someone gloat about a similar deal on this forum, too. The deals are out there - just be patient.

Love the saw, too. Wouldn't mind an Excalibur, but that's a whole other price point.

Homer Faucett
01-23-2009, 1:20 PM
There's an RBI Hawk on CL here for $250. I have one that I paid about the same amount for. It sold new for $1600. Great saw. I've heard good things about the DW 688, Excalibur, and the Delta model mentioned above.

Mike Gager
01-23-2009, 2:04 PM
ive read some reviews that gave the dremel and delta saws pretty good marks

also im curious, Jason, do you have your delta saw mounted to a sturdy table or stand or is it just sitting on a bench? ive heard mounting the scroll saws makes a big difference with vibrations, similar to a lathe

Charlie Kocourek
01-23-2009, 9:55 PM
I have the Dremel. It was written up in one of the wood mags a few years ago. They gave it a thumbs up or best bet or something like that. I have seen the Dewalt and it is a bit nicer than the Dremel, but the Dremel is a good machine. It is easy to change blades, low vibration, etc. And, it runs about $220. It is probably the best for that price range.

Charlie

Rich Lightfoot
01-23-2009, 11:34 PM
You might see if this one is still available. It's probably better than anything else in your price range and it's in your neck of the woods.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/979300551.html

John Thompson
01-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I picked up a DW 788 factory re-conditioned for around $250 but... I have a friend who is a DW tech rep here in Atlanta Service Center and he got it in his name.. his price and I paid him. Excellent saw.

I would look for a good.. used saw of good quality in your shoes.

Sarge..

Thomas Knapp
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't have any experience with the skill saw. So I am curious as to why you do not like it. Will pinless blades fit that saw? Pinless blades are needed for fine pierced work. I have the DeWalt and it has been a good saw. How much Scroll saw experience do you have? The blades and the Technique you use, are easily as important as the saw. I have had good luck with Flying Dutchmen and with Olson PGT Blades. I mostly use The Flying Dutchman 2/0 Blades for marquetry and their puzzle cutting blades for children's puzzles . If you are new to scroll saws I would practice on the saw you have and make sure the saw is the problem. Scroll saws don't usually cut all that fast. Don't expect them to act like a bandsaw. If you are experienced forgive my basic pointers and maybe they will help someone else. Here is where I get my Flying Dutchman Blades. http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm I am just a customer and have no other connections to Mikes
workshop.
Tom