PDA

View Full Version : repairing broken piano bench rail/apron

Dave Cohen
01-22-2009, 8:53 PM
My daughter dropped our mahogany piano bench backward tonight and the apron/rail attached to the hinges for the lid cracked on both sides, breaking off two pieces and exposing the top dowel attaching it to the leg on both sides of the rail.

To really correct this I'm thinking I would have to separate the rail on the opposing side and re-do the doweling on the front and back rails.

However, I really don't want to take out the perfectly good front rail.

Anyone have any suggestions on how a repair like this could be made leaving the 3 aprons/rails of the piano seat in place, and just repairing/replacing the broken apron/rail.

The only thing I can think of is pocket screws.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Chris Barnett
01-22-2009, 8:59 PM
No picture but can it be glued and clamped...stronger than the original and if no tearing and a clean break, might be next to invisible. But as I said, no picture.

Dave Cohen
01-22-2009, 9:55 PM
No picture but can it be glued and clamped...stronger than the original and if no tearing and a clean break, might be next to invisible. But as I said, no picture.

Its torn through..basically ripped out the front of the rail down to the dowel...I'll post some pics soon, will be much clearer with a pic.

Thanks