PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520A cost?

Dick Foster
01-22-2009, 8:51 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a PM 3520A from a getleman that doesn't use it much anymore. It's in like new condition. I think the 3520B has been out for about 3 years. Not too sure about the 3520A but I think it's about 9 or 10 years. Can anyone tell me about what this lathe would have cost at the time it came out on the market. This info would help me negotiate for a fair price for the lathe owner and myself. I'm not really sure what the biggest difference is between the two. I have found a lot of info on the B because it's listed on the lathe web sites. Do not know that much about the A. Any info would be of help . Thanks

Jim Kountz
01-22-2009, 8:58 PM
I believe the main differences were the digital readout and the tool rest but some of the guys here who own one can tell you better than me.

Steve Campbell
01-22-2009, 9:58 PM
Dick I don't know too much about either of them. If you go to www.7corners.com (http://www.7corners.com) They still sell the 3520 A for $2599.00 They have the 3520 B for $3399.00
Hope this helps some......

Steve

The 3520 A that they sell is brand new.......

Dick Strauss
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
3520B vs A
panel door over tailstock storage area on B...open on A
Spindle Indexing on B...none on A
RPM readout on B...frequency readout on A

I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. IIRC the 3520A could be bought for about $2100-2200 new.

Good luck with your deal,
Dick

Kurt Bird
01-23-2009, 7:09 AM
The A model does not have built in spindle indexing. And, very recently, there was a post on one of the forums that someone had purchased an A model, and it did not have a through hole in the tailstock quill. I don't know if this was an early A or if this was the standard design. The B does have the through hole. In my opinion, if you could buy this for $2000 it would be a really good deal. At $2200, it would still be a good purchase.
Kurt

Bruce McElhaney
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I paid $2200 plus free shipping for my PM3520a about 5 yrs. ago. It's been a great lathe. I've turned everything on it from bottle stoppers to heavy, 20" bowls. I wouldn't trade my PM for anything else except maybe a Stubby, and I've turned on several other lathes at Arrowmont and Campbell. The PM3520b is basically the same lathe as the A version, but with a few convience tweaks. Personally, I don't believe those improvements are worth the price difference. Although to be fair, the price difference is probably due more to world economics than the actual model change. If you can get a deal on a PM A model, go for it.

Cyril Griesbach
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Don't be thrown off the "A" because of the lack of indexing. The indexing on the "B" is cumbersome at best. Most owners of either model go to some of the aftermarket systems.

JerHall
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=909&highlight=3520

I have an A model that I paid 2300 for 5 years ago. IMHO I would not pay hundreds of dollars more for a B. The B has a lot of nice features, but they are not fundamental and do not affect its ability as a lathe in any material way. The nicest feature of the B is the little door on the tail-stock, because you can keep your coffee in there and protect it from the chips. I am surprised that the A models are still available at the price mentioned. That is a good deal. If you can get a lightly used A model for under $2000 that is a nice deal for a fine lathe that will work just the same as a B. There are easy adaptations of most every important B model feature for the A. The exception might be the digital RPM reading on the front. But no one really pays attention to that anyway.

Kurt Bird
01-24-2009, 8:13 AM
One of our club members had the Model A, and he rigged a little mirror holder so that he could read the digital display on the back (in reverse of course).:D

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2009, 8:36 AM
I have the A model and have loved it since purchase. I paid $1875 for mine and while the B model has some nice luxury items on it? I am still glad I have my A model 3520. IMHO, it's just not worth the extra $$$ to have indexing and digital readout.

Dick Foster
01-24-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks to all who responded to my thread about the 3520A. Surprises are always around the corner and when you least expect them. Well, I found a lathe through a contact from C'list. This man owns his own woodworking business and had this lathe setting in the back of his shop. The lathe is about 7-8 years old and has little use except for duplicator work. The lathe head stock has been replaced with a newer version with an indexing wheel mounted on the left, 24 hole index. It also came with a 48" bed extenson and original PM legs, a Vega 48" duplicator, two chucks (never used), 7 Sorby tools, and in "showroom" condition. Paid $2650.00 and happier than a hardwood tree. Can't wait to fire ths baby up. You know what you put on a hot dog, right? "MUSTARD" Thanks again for your help, Dick Foster.

JerHall
01-24-2009, 3:51 PM
Sounds like a great find and that you are on the trail to some fun turning.

Brian Effinger
01-24-2009, 4:11 PM
Thanks to all who responded to my thread about the 3520A. Surprises are always around the corner and when you least expect them. Well, I found a lathe through a contact from C'list. This man owns his own woodworking business and had this lathe setting in the back of his shop. The lathe is about 7-8 years old and has little use except for duplicator work. The lathe head stock has been replaced with a newer version with an indexing wheel mounted on the left, 24 hole index. It also came with a 48" bed extenson and original PM legs, a Vega 48" duplicator, two chucks (never used), 7 Sorby tools, and in "showroom" condition. Paid $2650.00 and happier than a hardwood tree. Can't wait to fire ths baby up. You know what you put on a hot dog, right? "MUSTARD" Thanks again for your help, Dick Foster.

That definitely sounds like a major gloat to me. Congratulations.

Of course you know the rule: "No pictures - it didn't happen!" ;)

Dick Strauss
01-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Dick,
I think you got a very good deal. The extra bed and Vega duplicator add about $2k at retail IIRC. It's a good thing you got lots of mustard because that sucker will turn a 7' long hotdog!