PDA

View Full Version : Speedball Linoleum for printing?? Engravable?

Larry Bratton
01-22-2009, 8:20 PM
I have a customer that wants engraving done on a product that I am not familiar with. Speedball Linoleum Block. It has a layer of a beige colored material laminated to a piece of mdf. I can't find a MSDS on it at their website. Has anybody engraved this stuff. Is it safe. If so, what settings are recommended with 40 watts?

Mike Null
01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Larry

My memory's failing but this is an old old material which I believe was used for a process called block prints. Some of the artists in the crowd can probably be more helpful but I think the base was asphalt.

The image was carved into the material then covered with ink then pressed onto paper.

Never did it so my technique may not be quite accurate.

Larry Bratton
01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes Mike, it is used for printmaking. The stuff on top of the mdf is said to be linoleum but it looks like vinyl of some sort. If I can eliminate PVC as an ingredient it is probably OK. No MSDS that I can find. Guess I can call them tomorrow if no one here knows about it. (that would be unusual)

Mike Null
01-23-2009, 8:49 AM
Larry

As old as linoleum is I'm sure it pre-dates PVC.

Darryl Hazen
01-23-2009, 10:34 AM
If it is Linoleum heres the composition:

Linoleum is a floor covering made from solidified linseed oil (linoxyn) in combination with wood flour or cork dust over a burlap or canvas backing. Pigments may be added to the materials used.

Larry Bratton
01-23-2009, 8:59 PM
For everyone's information. It engraves beautifully! We got an excellent result. I will try and post a photo tomorrow.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 8:39 PM
I have also heard that it's the 'softest' word in the English language..

Soooo The next time your wife wants you to whisper something soft, bend in real close, blow in her ear, and say: L i n o l e u m ..:rolleyes: