PDA

View Full Version : I need help from a Jet 1220 VS owner

Bob Noles
01-22-2009, 7:49 PM
My lathe has not arrived yet and I am hoping to see it tomorrow afternoon or it will be a long weekend for sure. In the mean time, I am laying out my new bench and need a critical measurement from someone who has this model. I need to know the distance from the bottom of the feet to the drive center so I can get my bench height exact in my plans. If you have included the rubber feet bumpers, I need to know this as well.

I would be ever so greatful to anyone who could run out to the shop and measure it for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon Seto
01-22-2009, 8:01 PM
It is 13-1/4" with rubber feet.

Bob Noles
01-22-2009, 8:08 PM
Thank you so much Gordon, you are a saint.

Randy Schaffer
01-22-2009, 9:01 PM
I will be very curious to see how your bench turns out. I picked up my materials for my 1220 stand last weekend but have not started work on it.

Bob Noles
01-22-2009, 9:15 PM
Hi Randy,

Mine is going to be very simple in nature this time. Pretty much 2X frame construction with ply top and shelves all on casters and leg levelers.

Randy Schaffer
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
That sounds good. I may have picked a design that is a bit more complex than my bench making skills allow. I am doing an A-frame stand from a design I saw in one of Raffan's books. I am doing heavy glide feet that can be leveled (I hope):D

Bob Noles
01-23-2009, 5:41 AM
Randy,

Sounds like my first one that I evolved out of and now wish I had back.

Here is my thread from years ago showing it off. Maybe the pictures can offer help with yours.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28217

Randy Schaffer
01-23-2009, 1:20 PM
Oh my Bob, that is very nice. I appreciate the link to those pictures. I am not going to have anything quite so nice. Actually mine will be sort of embarrassing in comparison:eek:

I am doing an open A-frame out of 4x4's.

Jerome Hanby
01-23-2009, 1:40 PM
I will be very curious to see how your bench turns out. I picked up my materials for my 1220 stand last weekend but have not started work on it.

Me too. I picked up the MDF, Hardboard, Poplar, and hardware to build one from Shopnotes #67. Hope to start on it this weekend, but I'd love to see other folks solutions.

Steve Campbell
01-23-2009, 3:17 PM
Bob you're stand is very nice. much better than mine. When I first got my Little General I used a portable saw horse. In order to get it high enough to turn on I had to take some ready bolt and raise it up a couple more inches than the feet would allow. What I discovered was that is was a lot easier to clean under it. When I made my stand I made it a couple inches lower than normal and used the same ready bolts to bring it up to what I wanted. It sure is a lot better as far as cleaning. Just a quick shot with the air hose and good as new.
Just something else to think about.

Steve

robert hainstock
01-23-2009, 7:31 PM
My 1220 had plastic not rubber feet. I removed them and bolted the lathe to the top of one of my old benches that I had previously used for my old Sears lathe. So far no walking. The hole through the feet was appx 3/16". Without it I could use 5/16" bolts. Just my way of dealing with the problem. Good luck. :)
Bob

Bob Noles
01-23-2009, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the comments on my old long gone lathe stand. It was a challange to build and a beast for the shop. I have been working on my 1220 bench all day and hope to have it finished before the weekend is out. I will post some pictures when I finish.

Randy, you are in for a treat building that "A" frame ;)

Jerome, the Shopnotes model is a nice stand, but complex to build.

Robert, I have every intention of bolting my 1220 VS to the bench :eek:

Randy Schaffer
01-26-2009, 7:29 PM
Bob,

I picked up Rowley's book this weekend and see his plan for what I believe was your old bench. This one is too complex for me with the top planed to that angle.

I am doing a bit simpler version where the top is of 2 five foot 4x4's with 3 4x4 spacers, then an A-frame leg set. I almost think I can pull that one off. I know I could never have done the one you had.....at least with a top that was not completly crooked at least.:D

This link a couple of pages down shows the Raffan design I am attempting.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TnWEXi3hAuUC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=raffan+lathe+table&source=bl&ots=7mXam3nvZ7&sig=DdGNZWT0D4CvXtM1Pp5WlZMJIjk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA43,M1