PDA

View Full Version : delta shaper owners

jim sauterer
01-22-2009, 6:49 PM
i bought but dont have jet a used delta 43431x shaper.does anyone have the router bit collet assembly 43-800.if so do you think it is worth the money and also does it work well.i am thinking for only bigger 1/2 inch router bits.i have looked at the shaper threads on this sight about using router bits and they seem positive .i am looking for those that own the delta shaper for opinions.i saw a few negative reviews on amazon.thanks jim

David DeCristoforo
01-22-2009, 7:20 PM
It "works" fine. What I mean is, it is easy to install and holds router bits securely. I use one all the time. You will have to decide for yourself which side of the debate you want to land on.

jerry cousins
01-22-2009, 7:58 PM
several years ago i left the router table in the dust and now - use the shaper with the router bits and the collett xclusively - both for 1/4 & 1/2. works really well - much less burning and steadier cuts.
jerry

Leo Graywacz
01-22-2009, 8:35 PM
It works, but it spins to slow to work well. If you are using panel cutters it may function adequate. Any small cutters just spin to slow to work well.

Chip Lindley
01-22-2009, 8:38 PM
IF your reason for running router bits on a shaper is to save money by avoiding more expensive shaper bits, you will never see the full potential of your shaper. Router bits CAN be used, but with some *reverse* qualifications.

A previous poster addressed lack of burning as a PLUS. On a router, assuming your RB is sharp and clean, burning is directly related to a too-slow feed rate. The feed rate for smaller RBs on a shaper must be increased, to avoid a rough, ragged finish from chattering.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Jim, I asked the same question several years back on a different forum, and was greeting with the full spectrum of response, from don't even think about it dummy, to sure, works fine. Being an independant type of character, I did it, and after owning and using a Delta shaper just like yours, it works fine. Far better than any router if you ask me, if only because the shaper is a much more substantial machine.

You will hear a lot of response that says that the slower speed of a shaper will make a router bit preform horribly. Not true. Most of the bits you will use in the shaper are larger bits that will operate near the recomended range of rpm in the shaper. The smaller bits also work well too though, as long as they are good sharp quality bits.

Many shaper cutters are two knife affairs, with the only difference between the router and the shaper cutters being diameter. This is an advantage for the shaper cutters, as the geometry of the cut is better with the larger diameter. Less tear out, and a cleaner cut are usually evident. This is a slight advantage though, and while it is worth the money to buy shaper cutters, it is not required. If cost is a concern, look at the insert tooling.

Another advantage to shaper cutters is repeatability in setup. As the shaper cutter registers on the same place on the spindle, every time, it is much easier to just dial in a recorded depth to replicate a cut. Buy shaper cutters as you can, but use the router bits in the mean time. Enjoy the shaper!

Leo Graywacz
01-23-2009, 7:45 AM
Jim, I asked the same question several years back on a different forum, and was greeting with the full spectrum of response, from don't even think about it dummy, to sure, works fine. Being an independant type of character, I did it, and after owning and using a Delta shaper just like yours, it works fine. Far better than any router if you ask me, if only because the shaper is a much more substantial machine.

You will hear a lot of response that says that the slower speed of a shaper will make a router bit preform horribly. Not true. Most of the bits you will use in the shaper are larger bits that will operate near the recomended range of rpm in the shaper. The smaller bits also work well too though, as long as they are good sharp quality bits.

Many shaper cutters are two knife affairs, with the only difference between the router and the shaper cutters being diameter. This is an advantage for the shaper cutters, as the geometry of the cut is better with the larger diameter. Less tear out, and a cleaner cut are usually evident. This is a slight advantage though, and while it is worth the money to buy shaper cutters, it is not required. If cost is a concern, look at the insert tooling.

Another advantage to shaper cutters is repeatability in setup. As the shaper cutter registers on the same place on the spindle, every time, it is much easier to just dial in a recorded depth to replicate a cut. Buy shaper cutters as you can, but use the router bits in the mean time. Enjoy the shaper!

Have you ever tried to push a pc of wood at 12-30 ft/m with a router bit? With a shaper cutter it won't even blink. With a router bit it will likely chip out badly. Like everyone has said, it will work, it will not give you the results of the shaper cutter though.

John Carlo
01-23-2009, 8:17 AM
Sometimes I set up the shaper for the first and second pass and then move to the router table for the final pass. I recently used a 1" radius "Quadra Cut" on the shaper at 10,00 rpm with great results. Now that I have a power feeder set up on the shaper, using the router collet makes even more sense.

Charles Robertson
01-23-2009, 8:20 AM
Jim, I've been using one for years. Happy with the versitility of being able to use 1/4 and 1/2" bits. For long runs of material I'd prefer shaper cutters. Have several extra, new in plastic wrapper, if you are interested. I'll send it to you. You can try it. Let you decide what it's worth. Al

jim sauterer
01-23-2009, 7:19 PM
i did not buy the shaper just to run router bits.but as i said i just ordered the shaper and i do have quite a few 1/2 inch router bits.as funds build back up i will get shaper cutters and a feeder hopefully.i do appreciate your input and knowledge on this issue.now i have to read lonnie bird shaper book.thanks again jim.

lou sansone
01-23-2009, 7:31 PM
works fine for me - go for it

Lou

Karl Brogger
01-23-2009, 7:41 PM
Keep the router bits in the router. If you're looking for something to produce similar profiles as what you can get in a router bit, take a look at the Magic Shaper head from LRH. It has change able plugs, which are pretty reasonably priced, although the head is spendy you only need the one. I haven't used the shaper version, but the one for the tablesaw is really nice to use for putting beads in just about everything. I haven't used one for making any mouldings yet, but I've got my eye on a plug that I'd be making a trim piece for the panels on doors.

http://www.lrhent.com/mshaper.htm