PDA

View Full Version : Project completion gloat

Dan Mages
06-28-2004, 6:31 PM
I just got back from a weekend of partying at Niagara Falls Ontario with 1200 other PT Cruiser owners and enthusiasts, about 596 PT Cruisers. The event raised approximately $25,000 for Make-A-Wish. To show show my appreciation for all of the hard work the founder Sean has put into this event, I made this shelf from Bloodwood and Maple. Boy was he thrilled when I gave it to him! His wife complained that the shelf is now getting more attention than her. It was a great challenge and taught me quite a few valuable lessons. :)

Dick Parr
06-28-2004, 7:38 PM
Very nice looking Dan!

Todd Burch
06-28-2004, 8:50 PM
Dan, you were supposed to take a picture of his wife so WE could decide which was nicer... Oh well - great job on the shelf!! I bet he was thrilled! So, you going to start an EBAY store for custom PT shelves? (You'ld have to get faster though!!!!)

Todd

Christopher Pine
06-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I love bloodwood! This is a great idea and turned out wonderful! I bet he was thrilled! Nice Job!
Chris

Jim Becker
06-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Congratulations, Dan. You did a great job on this project and it was darn thoughtful on your part to give it to the event organizer!

Dan Mages
06-29-2004, 8:29 AM
Dan, you were supposed to take a picture of his wife so WE could decide which was nicer... Oh well - great job on the shelf!! I bet he was thrilled! So, you going to start an EBAY store for custom PT shelves? (You'ld have to get faster though!!!!)

Todd

An Ebay Store? Nah... maybe a few one offs upon request. I do have one idea for a full maple floor with inlaid flames.... hmmmm

Next year's shelf, which will be for sale, will be something completely different. It will have a built in mini-itx computer system for watching movies, playing video games, showing photos, etc... I also plan on integrating some LED lighting into the shelf for added oohs and ahhs during the neon glow show.

Dan

Jack Wood
07-01-2004, 7:37 AM
"O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command."

That's a nice piece, hey?:)

Chris Padilla
07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Fantastic work, Dan! How much can you sell these puppies for? :D

Dan Mages
07-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Fantastic work, Dan! How much can you sell these puppies for? :D
Its hard to say. I spent around 80 on materials for this shelf (bloodwood is not cheap!). I have seen basic wood shelves in the $125-$150 range. Being and amateur hack, I would probably say $150-200? The one I want to build with the computer and the lights will be pushing $1000!!!

Frank Pellow
07-01-2004, 1:07 PM
Nice to see a Canadian flag posted to this forum on Canada Day!

Steve Miller
07-01-2004, 3:33 PM
That is gorgeous work. I'm soon to build a similar inlay piece (Superman logo end table to match a Batman logo coffee table) and was planning on Red Heart and Yellow Heart. This makes me think about using Blood Wood. Does anyone know how the price compares? Around here, Red Heart is 9 to 10$ per bf.

Thanks, and great work!